SAU Community

skyline question

i want a r33 gtst skyline are they good skylines and i see that alot of em are just under 100,000kms do they put the clocks back are do ppl not drive em as much as u would if u had a commodore or something do they drink abit of fuel?

you'll get alot of opinions on this, personally i think there an awsome car, but the shape etc aren't for everyone.

the reason alot are under 100,000kms ( this is what i've been told anyways ), is because japan has stricter emition laws etc than here, so they have to get rid of the cars they have after a certain amount of k's and get something that is newer ( rezz or someone in japan that knows the real reason care to clarify ??? ).

they only really drink alot of fuel if you drive like 150km's everywhere or do alot of city driving ( stop starting at lights etc all the time ), you get roughly 400kms from a full tank ( i do anyways ).

hope that helps :)

R33's are great cars and yes I have heard of speedo's being wound back but I personally wouldn't worry about this. Most Japanese people don't do a lot of driving and as stated, as the car gets older the costs go up. Rego, tax and also servicing goes up dramatically as the Japanese laws state that even slightly worn parts must be replaced so it's actually cheaper to buy a new car than it is to constantly repair an old one. Get an R33 and you won't be dissapointed but make sure you look at a lot of cars and drive them all so you find the best one out there.

Its not in australia, only Japan. Once a japanese car gets over three years old, the yearly taxes and fees rise dramatically each year. Service costs are also huge. That why there are so many imports here, south africa, new zealand, because the older the car, the harder it is to get rid of in japan, but much easier to ofload to us. That is why they are low kay, and generally in very good condition. You can get a preservation - or historical significance attached to a limited build car in japan ie: HR31 GTS-r or R32/33/34 GTR, and this helps to keep the cars there, but not for long, they generally find their way somewhere else.

try to avoid the thrashed ones owned by some youngsters, who have lost there driving license and had to sell their line, for example.--------These cars generally come standard as "stuffed".

By straight from Japan, if you can, or from a reputable seller who will register the car for the first time in Oz. !! Odo's are crap.....get any car visually pre-checked.

Or buy mine!! (5uckin' fussy older owner!!)

By the way, I know some fantastic '18 year old drivers''!!!!!!