SAU Community

Removing HICAS?

Guest Works Auto

My car has the Whiteline Lock Kit .

I think it cost about 350 bucks. It doesnt stuff around anymore when u do a bit of a drift.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MYGTST,

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure? Most people say that they get movement from the HICAS when they don't use the kits.

If your right then I'll just unplug mine, no point spending $300 on a kit to stop a light coming on. And whats to stop us from taking the HICAS globe out of the instrument cluster.

Can anyone else confirm this?

See'ya :burnout:

Guest Works Auto

Mine has the whole hicas assembly taken out and has a bar running from the rear sus to the diff on each side. Its adjustable so u can adjust toe in and toe out.

it didnt move for me after a whole day at wakefield

i just unplug it when i want hicas disabled rest of the time i leave it on

it only takes a couple of seconds to unplug it

or plug it back in

if you want it removed permanently the best thing is to piss off the whole motor assy and put in a pipe like thishicas%20remov%201.jpghicas%20remov.jpg

I want to remove my hicas. I tried disconnecting it as said above but it still felt the same.

I am going to buy a removal kit. As mentioned above you can buy a bar to replace the electrics, or the Tomei lock kit which keeps all the original parts but prevents them from moving. UAS sell both of these items btw.

Is the tomei lock kit suitable for R33?

thanks

Greg

• 4 months later...

ok

ive just diabled hicas on my R33 gtst.

now listen up. r33s are electric its not HYDRAULIC.

jsut so you ppl know.

MYGTST is correct. sjut unplug the motor and its disabled.

if u want the light off, either pay for a locking kit (waste of $) or cut the wire to the light on ya dash.

Originally posted by TTZ32

HICAS is active above approx. 60kph and takes inputs from speed, steering angle, throttle position etc.

this is incorrect. HICAS works at any speed.

Start you car and get a mate to turn the wheel, and you'll see the ass end wheels wiggle around a small amount.

I've done it before on my R31 and a mates 31. Both have HICAS.

HICAS at low speeds turn with the front wheels and at high speed turns opposite the front wheels.

OR VICE VERSA.

I can't remember which but it has to be one way or the other.

Yer, it helps well going at 150km/hr+ to glue your car to the road, but i wouldn't know that of course..

I think its a useful thing to have unless you want to drift or building a serious track car.

Mr Rb20 - i think it was around 30-40kg for HICAS on a 32

Start you car and get a mate to turn the wheel, and you'll see the ass end wheels wiggle around a small amount.  
i dont totally agree with this!!! , ive read many expert reports about hicas stating that it only moves the rear wheels once in motion, except when put in diagnostic mode. I know my car doesnt move its rear wheels when stationary, i know the honda 4ws does,.... but hicas,....??

however the point about hicas working at any speeds is fairly correct. when i had a hicas error, which was small fragments of the horn blocking the steering angle sensor it obviuosly couldnt detect the angle of the steering wheel and hence couldnt compute the movement of the rear wheels. This made the hicas light come on. I could make this light come on at very low speeds, this is proof that hicas does work at speeds lower then whatever was quoted before i think 60kmph

but less traction

mine with the HICAS squats quite nice... with around 190 to the treads and it barely brakes traction and that's with 215's.

only breaks if i snap hard to second. but other than that the bit of weight may make a difference ?

maybe not in a full drag car where things are different but maybe for a street going one ???

hhmm... interesting.

How can hicas change how your car squats?? It cant affect your traction in a straight line....Allit does is make the car have a safer understeer characteristic in corners when pushed hard.

Please explain......

Cheers

what 20kg's less will induce less squat? c'mon...noone is gonna notice that, Are you suggesting that this weight diff and the effect this has on traction is an issue? I think you'd have to get an absonlutely perfect launch for that to be an issue, its less weight than a spare tyre...

I definitly wouldn't say your car is gonna Squat differently with or without hicas...20kgs as a percentage of the weight transfer of a car launching off the line to do a 13sec qtr must be negligable??

Russ