SAU Community

Taken On A 05 Wrx Sti Lately?

Amir

Just had a drive in one (passenger). Im sure no gtst will be able to out drag it from the lights. From 40-110km/hr was unbelievable - the push in the seat, the acceleration was dynamic. Had a mildly modded GTS25T and it would have chopped it even from a role. 3rd gear and your going harder than you should be.

the guy driving knew the car very well...............Im not sure, but he says it needs a very well sorted GTR to outcorner it on the track.

Any experiences on the road or on the track with one of these things.

I wasnt expecting that much from a std car.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it standard?

The quickest standard WRX (doesn't list what is STI or not, but there are usually a lot of STI's when we go)... is only 2.01 Theres a few gtst's broken the 2min mark at Philip Island...

http://www.wrx.com.au/motorsport/58.php

ferni,

was standard in that there was no engine mods (stock exhaust). I dont think there was any suspension mods either. Have you been on the track at phillip Is. along side an sti?

How have they held up to your GTR?

Im going to have a look at there site and see if they have commented on the gtr or gtst on the road or track.

driven properly an sti should match or beat a standard gtr ...

they have the same power ... but the gtr is a bit of a heavy weight compared to the sti

i dont know but i think the sti would win in the twisties ...

You'll be suprise how fast a stock/untouched STI is around a track, as for straight line performance. I be more concern with a normal wrx with mod, than a sti, as STI owners generally don't mod their car as much.

was reading thru a post where someone on the wrx forum was talking about a Best Motoring video where they had an R34 GTR, EVo 8 (I think) and a WRX STi RA type C and some other cars on the track.

I was surprised, but they said the R34 GTR came 4th and the WRX 1st.

I didnt even think they would be comparable, but there you go.

was reading thru a post where someone on the wrx forum was talking about a Best Motoring video where they had an R34 GTR, EVo 8 (I think) and a WRX STi RA type C and some other cars on the track.

I didnt even think they would be comparable, but there you go.

No, the R34 GTR won the STi and EVO were closing however, R32 GTR got smoked....I 'think' even the NA V35 Skyline beat it the R33 did not fare much better.

In a handling battle standard Sti everytime over standard GTR, only on the more open sweeping stuff will the GTR be better.

I have been on quite a few PerthWRX cruizes / hillclimbs etc now to know how nimble they are.

Straight line I have had a rolling start run with an 04 - 05 STi and my then standard GTR was slightly faster (overtaking it at walking pace), until it hit the 180kmh limiter ;)

Let's not forget this is a WRX valued at 55k plus, against Gts-t's that with some mods maybe 20-25k. Throw an extra 30 grand into a gts-t & it would chop the WRX, except off the launch.

How are the torque figures on STis compared to GTRs?

Higher torque would determine who comes out of the corner better right?

I assume, that if u compare the same model car...i.e 2003 STi vs 2003 GTR the gtr would come out trumps.

Straight line......can't see a GTR loosing (stock on stock) unless the GTR driver bogs it down.

No, the R34 GTR won the STi and EVO were closing however, R32 GTR got smoked....I 'think' even the NA V35 Skyline beat it the R33 did not fare much better.

In a handling battle standard Sti everytime over standard GTR, only on the more open sweeping stuff will the GTR be better.

I have been on quite a few PerthWRX cruizes / hillclimbs etc now to know how nimble they are.

Straight line I have had a rolling start run with an 04 - 05 STi and my then standard GTR was slightly faster (overtaking it at walking pace), until it hit the 180kmh limiter :(

sorry your right. It was the R33 that came 4th. But interestingly it said the sti set the fastest lap time.

What you said was interesting also that your stock GTR and the Sti were pretty much on par to 180km/hr. There was a post earlier by someone that said there stock gts25t got advantage at those speeds while the sti ran out of puff.

Cant believe that as the sti I went in was pulling very hard at those speeds and my mildly modded gts25t would not have kept up. Not even close.

hahahah hahahahahahah ahahha rofl

japs lie about specs

gtr = alot more powerful then an sti!sti = like 210hp and gtr = over 300 or some shit afaik

and more to the point gtr's absolutely kain sti's arouns the track

Edited by nemz

ive noticed when your used to your own car if its only milded modded and a mate takes you for a strap in their car and its much the same it always feels quicker. My mate takes me for a strap in his s14 occassionally and it feels like it pulls harder then my 33...but i axe him every time no matter what. just what your used to i suppose.

lies i seen one of those video's with an nsx and rx7(the highest spec one) and the other other rx7, gtr 33 & 34, evo and sti

the high spec rx7 came first just infront of the 34 which started from the rear, then came the nsx, and the low spec rx7 33 and sti/evo made up the rear a fair bit back from the others

you can't really base fact on one race I don't think. All drivers have different abilities so whos to say the 34 driver was the best there and if he;d jumped in the STI would have won in that?

I think the GTR would win anyway but I think the best way is for the one driver to do hot laps around the same track, given a warm up in each car to get used to it then go for it. Even then to be fair this should be done over a number a different types of tracks if you want to find out the best overall car.

When it comes down to it though it doesn't really matter as the majority of skyline, WRX, EVO drivers never even make it to the track and generally use them to cruise around in and drag a few people at lights.

Ive had a race with one from 100k's to 180. we stayed the same till about 160 then the STI run out of legs. My R33-2 gtst was stock at the time

Yeah riiiiiight and then your flux capacitor kicked in and you were gone.

they have the same power ... but the gtr is a bit of a heavy weight compared to the sti

i dont know but i think the sti would win in the twisties ...

That's what I've heard from people who have owned both.

The '05 sti is a huge improvement but I think I'd rather have the GTR thanks if I could afford it.