SAU Community

Modifying An R32

ORIGIN

hey guys, i just bought a R32 and im gonna start to modify it. Ive decided to go in stages. Could you guys please give me an idea of what power i might get with the correct tuning. Heres my plan

Stage 1:

Turbo bak Exhaust System

Front mount

Intake (pod filter with stainless steel pipe that goes to the turbo)

HKS Iridium Spark Plugs

Stage 2:

Apexi Power FC

Injectors

Walbro Intank Fuel Pump

Stage 3:

HKS 2530 turbo

HKS Manifold

Boost Controller

Then after that it would be cams and the suspension would probably be between stage 1 and 2. The stage thing doesnt mean anything its just the order i want to do it in. I hate lag to so if this is gonna be a laggy set up could you please tell me. Any other helpfull ideas would be great, oh yeah n i like HKS :huh:

Cheers fellas

Luke

Edited by Boost32

HKS Titanium Exhaust System:

bit of a wank if u ask me unless you want some extremely lightweight racecar or something

yeah i agree it was a suggestion made by a mate. as for the brand names i dont mind paying a bit extra to get good quality parts as i also want realabilty.

or you could buy the HKS Titanium exhaust, and i'll swap you my 3" turbo back item... it flows well, and i could make better use of the Light weight of the titanium one on the track

yeah man sure thing...... :( but seriorsly does anyone know what kind of power could be made im only looking for an estimate to see if its worth it...

thanks guys

i hope u have HKS money, what ever you think it will cost doubble it. take advise from guys that have spent the money. as for your mate suggesting the Titanium exhaust, maybe you should sugest he pays for it. Buy parts that will give you power not wank factor. and try looking in the RB20 thread, im sure you will find your answer in there.

i hope u have HKS money

yeah true that it doesnt have to be all HKS as long as its reliable im happy as for the titanium exhaust i just saw the price ill be happy with a 3inch turbo bak exhaust :(

Luke

It seems to me that your intended mods would be roughly equal to the mods I'm doing to my R32 although my pockets mightn't be as deep as yours.

The only HKS item being my 2nd hand 2530.

The choice of turbo pretty much determines what power you can expect and what else needs to be upgraded to achieve it.

I've had plenty of time to plan while I've been saving up for the bits and pieces.

I think 200-220 rwkw would be a reasonable goal.

I'm using

gt2530

catback

k&n panel filter

hybrid fmic

Bosch 040 pump

R33gtr 440cc injectors

pfc and boost controller

splitfire coils

ngk iridium plugs

I might buy one of batmbl's fine looking splitdumps and SS cat to fit with my turbo.

If the stock AFM runs out of resolution when it's being tuned I'll fit a Z32 one but it shouldn't be needed for 220rwkw

I think 200-220 rwkw would be a reasonable goal.

yeah thats ok i was hoping for somthin around 220-250ish im not real keen on going a big turbo cause i dont like lag so would those mods be be good for somthin around 230ish at the wheels and this car will be daily driven

thanks for the replies fellas

hey guys, i just bought a R32 and im gonna start to modify it. Ive decided to go in stages. Could you guys please give me an idea of what power i might get with the correct tuning. Heres my plan

Stage 1:

Turbo bak Exhaust System

Front mount

Intake (pod filter with stainless steel pipe that goes to the turbo)

HKS Iridium Spark Plugs

Stage 2:

Apexi Power FC

Injectors

Walbro Intank Fuel Pump

Stage 3:

HKS 2530 turbo

HKS Manifold

Boost Controller

Then after that it would be cams and the suspension would probably be between stage 1 and 2. The stage thing doesnt mean anything its just the order i want to do it in. I hate lag to so if this is gonna be a laggy set up could you please tell me. Any other helpfull ideas would be great, oh yeah n i like HKS :(

Cheers fellas

Luke

Have you considered doing an engine conversion and putting an Rb25det into your car

You'll find that the rb20det has SFA low-end torque, and you can get a lot more power from an rb25 than you'll get out of the rb20. The mods will cost the same, (in fact cheaper as you don't need an AP engineering Power Fc ~$500-600 saving)

anyway, having said that, some suggestions:

- Get a fuel pump before anything. Your r32 fuel pump is ~15 years old and fuel pump failure can kill engines.

- z32 afm

- if you can afford it, why not get it all at once, you won't have to come back and re-tune the power fc after you install stage 3 either.

- reliability mods - oil cooler, aftermarket radiator

- handling mods - coilovers, suspension bits

- wheels / tyres - looks and performance/handling

- differential

- brake upgrade

what are you going to be using the car for? do you intend to drift / track days, or do you just want a fast car you can boot around on the streets?

just keep in mind, a 200kw car with stock suspension, brakes and tyres/wheels is a recipe for disaster!

apart from my regular reply of "build and RB30det"

I'll try to help.

first of all, while you have the stock turbo and no boost controller, you won't get anything more than say 150rwkw if you're lucky.

you have boost controller listed in stage 3 so until that day comes, you will have the power above.

stock turbo + fmic+exhaust+filter+boost controller pushed to about 14psi will see you at about 150-160rwkw.

+ power fc and you might see close to 170 if you're lucky and your stock turbo stays in one piece.

you have a good list of parts, but might need to re-arrange when you want to get them.

example.

an RB20 with FMIC but no boost controller drives worse than with the side intercooler.

it feels even more laggier than it already is.

iridium spark plugs are a waste of money unless you got them for free.

even then, copper is a better conducter of electricty than iridium so a $4 copper NGK plug of the correct heat range and correct gap will out perform any platnum or iridum plug. maybe not last as long. but still better.

stainless steel pipe to turbo = waste of money. looks shiney, makes SFA difference.

the changes I'd make..

1.)exhaust and panel filter for stock air box.

2.)FMIC and boost controller

3.)fuel pump

After that, I'd go one of 2 ways.

1.) PFC and tune

then

2.) turbo, manifold (if you really think this is required), injectors, possibly AFM, and tune it all in one hit.

or

the PFC and the rest in one hit.

• 3 weeks later...
what are you going to be using the car for? do you intend to drift / track days, or do you just want a fast car you can boot around on the streets?

Yeah i want a fast street car, somthin thats gonna be responsive and grip when going around a corner fast (im not into drifting my car) and im definatly gonna get suspension for the car before i start adding power.... by the way anyone know some good suspension that is good for wat i want my car to do cause theres alot out there to choose from.

cheers luke