SAU Community

Gts4 Vs Gtr

RBCalais

Ok just a reply to some points above :)

I love GTR's and have owned a few.. I would never try and make a fake one as there is only ever a real one.. but you need to see that that a GTS-4 is a great package for the price especially when combined with a RB30.

the track ---- Is the same. Front and rear subframe, suspension arms etc.. all the same.

the guards---- are wider to accomodate the wider wheels/offset. Wheels still sit quite far inside the guards on a stock GTR.

diffs ---- The rear diff is slightly better. Easily swapped for a nice Cusco etc. The front diffs just have a different ratio.

gearbox ---- Again only a slight difference.

suspension --- Again marginal difference.. i doubt any R32 GTR/GTS-4 would still have the standard suspension. GTR/GTS-4 coilovers are the same.

sway bars --- cheap to get better ones. Stock GTR ones can be improved also.

full chasis bracing --- Nope.. ?

brakes (depends on models) --- Yeah slightly bigger on the GTR.. some nice R34 Brembos are an upgrade for both though :(

front guards alloy -- yep cheap to buy and fit to a GTS-4.

bonnet alloy --- yep, but there are cheap carbon bonnets around.

drive shafts --- no

hubs -- no

interior (seats, gauges, trim) --- peanuts

rear guards --- yep would cost a bit to put these on a GTS-4.

rear wing --- so?

RE-SALE VALUE --- who cares when it cost you 1/3 the price?

I would say a 3k GTS-4 + RB30DET and other mods would easily blow away a stock 30k GTR for value and performance. In my opinion.

All depends on the cost of labour.. if your a DIY person like myself.. it does not matter as much.

ben you must be on some good drugs who pays 30k for a std gtr and where can you buy a 3k gts4 that is road worthly

i recently saw a gtr32 with fully n1 engine and turbos and over sized brembo (large than std r33) custom radiator, ecu, coilovers the lot land in oz for low 20's thats a lot of car and that car has got 11's written all over it and track lap times to suit.

as for just dropping a rb30det in a gts4 with gts4 sump and i exspect a rb26 head have any of you built one of these motor it not cheap or easy plus to compair it to a gtr you need things like the gtr intercooler and piping, fuel system etc etc

guys do yourself a favour and write it all down and put some real life figures to it with labour to fit etc i thing you will be shocked

as for the 500 to 800 dollar gtr gearboxes did you read the condition on these boxes as from memory one was burnt and the other had issues you will pay 1200 to 1500 for one worth having

you will pay 1250 to 1500 for rb26 head alone

plus you will need plenum/throddle body/exhaust manifolds/dump pipes/oil lines/water lines(you could burn a 1000 easy)

plus coils $300

fuel pump $200

injectors $300

you will pay 400 to 500 for a gtr intercooler

intercooler piping $ how knows depends on the quality of the jobbut a system to compare to the std gtr will be $$$

cant remember what the sump adaptors are worth but i'm sure someone can fill in the blank$

plus you need to modify the block to run the cam belt for the twin cams

plus what oil pump and you will need to modify oil gallerys or you will run into the problems alot of the rb30 engines have had on this forum

your also look at a clutch for sure (to handle rb30)

so far i have not left the engine bay

and yes the hubs and drive shafts are different (smaller and weaker)

and yes the brakes are different (smaller and weaker)

you might think these small differences dont cost much but add them up and yes they make a big difference on the track.

you might make a nice gts4 for the price of a gtr and some but do not try to compare them. The gtr in its standard form is classed a Supercar and the worlds fastest 4wd turbo production car.

thing is much of the GTR can be improved.. you are able to improve on some of the weak points by building your own..

You can say $30k GTR vs $30k GTS4.. but I know which one I'd prefer if everything was done right in terms of even just reliability..

No Pnblight i'm not on drugs... A tidy stock R32 GTR still fetches 30k over here. Modified ones go for less normally because they have been screwed.

Yes thats true.. you can get some crazy modified GTR's from Japan now for next to nothing. Most of which will need a rebuild, full respray most parts replaced etc but for all the mods you get they seem cheap.

Now if we take if from another angle.. import a 800HP R32 GTR (non compliable in NZ now) and swap all the gear into a cheap, road legal GTS-4. Thats got to be a cheap car thats very close to the original GTR. :P

I have had Stock GTR's and modified them.. I have had cars I have built up from near nothing.. and I have had cars that have came in already doing 10's from Japan and driven them road legal.

The fact is.. speed does not come cheap in any form, and there are always hidden costs.

Hopefully this post has given the origal poster some ideas anyway. :)

PNBLIGHT:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=86973 $800

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=78141 $600

There are two links to the first two GTR boxes for sale on SAU. Both apparently in good working order and neither of them is sold yet.

I honestly dont think it will cost me as much as you seem to think. The idea is too do it cheap if I paid $7000 for a GTS4 how much do you think it will cost me to have it completed if I do all the labour myself. If you know what your on about you can get things done cheap... Getting the block modified properly won't cost more than $50 hardly worth adding into the price.

When i bought the 25DET it came with coils and I bought 550cc side feds a while ago. As I see it the only extra cost of putting this motor into a GTS4 will be. The cost of the car and converting the motor too 4WD and buying a gearbox. Fuel pumps/Intercooler etc will be the same price in a VL. I still think $12,000 should cover it..

Id love to know how much a sump conversion is or even where to get one.

Cheers Edward

these cars coming with compliance and things?

just wise to check, as my R32 cost me $7k.. but on road, with compliance, and a few things like tyres, ended up being about $9k

As some sort of *rough* guide (not that I am creating a competitor to a GTR - and mine is gts-t).. from totally stock rb20det auto (non type m so crappy brakes, non LSD) to rb25det drop in, tight LSD, decent brakes, reasonable suspension setup, manual conversion w/ heavy duty clutch, flywheel, and upgraded turbo and powerFC, will be up around the $15k mark. Doing nearly everything myself.

Up to about $12k so far.

these cars coming with compliance and things?

just wise to check, as my R32 cost me $7k.. but on road, with compliance, and a few things like tyres, ended up being about $9k

As some sort of *rough* guide (not that I am creating a competitor to a GTR - and mine is gts-t).. from totally stock rb20det auto (non type m so crappy brakes, non LSD) to rb25det drop in, tight LSD, decent brakes, reasonable suspension setup, manual conversion w/ heavy duty clutch, flywheel, and upgraded turbo and powerFC, will be up around the $15k mark. Up to about $12k so far.

Or bring in a type M with RB25, td06 high mount setup and all the supporting mods for under 13k on road :)

Your way is more fun and you know whats being done but can turn out very costly as budgets get blown away (well my budgets always do :))

Greg

??? you can't bring in anything modifed anymore ??

who knows what condition all the gear is in too.. I know the exact condition each item is in and get to handpick what I want myself.

But no its not totally the most cost efficient solution.. but its rewarding and hell fun if you like to fiddle.

??? you can't bring in anything modifed anymore ??

who knows what condition all the gear is in too.. I know the exact condition each item is in and get to handpick what I want myself.

But no its not totally the most cost efficient solution.. but its rewarding and hell fun if you like to fiddle.

Mines got plenty of goodies and is being brought in fine, will past complaince fine and RWC no problems :)

Lands next Friday into Brisbane and then gets trucked down to me in Melbourne.

I don't know the condition but I suppose there are 2 ways to look at it.

1. Buy a stock R32 GTS-T for around $9,000 landed and then modify yourself.

2. Buy a tricked up skyline with guaranteed over 250kw's at the rears for around $11,000 landed. Mine is costing 11k landed. Expecting around 13k on road as I know a few people in the industry and have acess to all the swap over parts if needed.

I was going to get a stock GTS-T but this came up and I fell in love....... mmmmmmm RB25 in an R32.... :D

Greg

That is very much my thinking too. I bought a bog stock R32 GT-R because I specifically wanted to avoid having some shagged out rust bucket that's been (poorly) modified (not saying they all are though). I would much rather know exactly what has been changed, when, and by whom.

Greg: No to put the knockers on, but don't count your chickens until they hatch. I'm sure we have all seen cars that appear on Prestige or elsewhere with the usual "supplier reports its in good mechanical condition" line only for it to have serious issues.

Greg:  No to put the knockers on, but don't count your chickens until they hatch.  I'm sure we have all seen cars that appear on Prestige or elsewhere with the usual "supplier reports its in good mechanical condition" line only for it to have serious issues.

Yeah I know... Just hoping for the best.. I've got cash put aside just in case.

All in all pretty hard to lose out on such a cheap car. Fair few $ worth of mods so shouldn't be a problem.

I'll let you know in a little over 2 weeks when I come back to Aus.

Greg