SAU Community

Shaky Steering :(

parish

hi guys,

just wanted some advise....

If I accelerate pretty hard when I get to about 80 / 90 kmh there is a shake in the steering (a bit like when wheels are un balanced). I have just had new tyres put on and they have been balanced (was happening prior to the new tyres aswell but was hoping that it was just the balancing of the old tyres)

There are some spacers on the wheels and I've been told that you can get the wheels balanced on the car. Could it be the spacers which are causing the shaking?

any ideas what else it could be? and where I should go to have it looked at? :D

Thanks

i got new front tyres about a month ago and they used to have weights on the inside and outside of the rim..

they only put them on the inside and now i have some mad rattle skills going..

perhaps some weights might have come off? or not put on properlly..

*shrugs*

they were aligned as well...

the guys said that the alignment was out and that there was a little 'ding' in one of the rims so he put that rim on the back, so as far as i know, everything should be aligned and balanced...

I had new tyres put on the front on the weekend as well as a balancing (Compulsory with tyres I think..) and a Front and Rear Alignment too, the car drove great... until I decided to go over a kerb 10 minutes later :P The vibrations are gone, but the car will pull slightly to one side :( It did work at first tho - I'd reccomend getting one done for $66 it was well worth it!

i have just done one, so didn't really wanna have to do another one, but I think i'll try to get them balanced on the car, might change something?

Had same issue - got the offending wheel balanced on the hub, now only got the slightest of shakes around 90kms... definately worth doing IMHO. :)

I went to BOB JANE - Morley - great after service, I went back several times and they were really good about it (although I did purchase rims and tyres from them not to mention balancing and alignment)... on the last visit I took the manager for a drive to show him how bad the steering wheel was shaking.

You could probably go to any tyre place though.

I had this a little while ago. Replaced my (r/f) outer tie rod end and don't have the problem anymore. It started out as vibration, and I knew my wheels were correctly balanced and aligned and I had pretty new tyres so couldn't be that. Then it got to the point where it felt so bad I thought my wheel was going to fall of while I was driving, coz the steering wheel was moving from left to right quite violently and I could feel the wheel wasn't moving straight at all.

If you go aftermarket you can get them as cheap as $22 each, but I chose to go genuine Nissan because it will last so much longer than an aftermarket one, which set me back $117.17 (for the one only, going to do the other front outer tie rod end this week). This is the price for the part only.

Forgot to mention, I have spacers as well and have never had any kind of problem with them. If one of your wheels is not straight or has a ding in it, you should really get it fixed.

Edited by randominsanity73

thanks for the info :) the car is being looked at tomorrow and will let them know about the tie rods... although the shaking isn't as bad as you describe it... it really feels like an un-balanced wheel... nothing to violent and only happens arround the 90 kmh mark... below fine... above (about 100) fine....

I don't really wanna fix the rims coz I might be changing them, want to put 5 spoke white rims... but not to sure yet... if I decide to leave the rims it has then will see if someone can fix it... :D

My outer tie rod end was on the way out when I just had the vibration. Since I have replaced the dead one, now I can feel that my left one feels just how the right one used to feel, so I know it's in the process of wearing out.

When it finally gave up is when I had those problems with it. Also, the day when it was really bad, it only did it around 75 - 85. Faster & slower were both fine, and it only seemed to do it on the rougher roads. It's a pretty unnerving feeling though. I took my dad for a drive and originally he thought I had thrown a wheel weight. Took it down to the local tyrepower to have the front wheel balance checked, and they didn't even charge me because the wheels were perfect.

hey, whats up?

yeah, the guys changed the rear tyres and put them on the front, and the front tyres were still fine...

the wheels are getting balanced on the car tomorrow... might have lost a weight after the initial balance...

its almost definately not the outer tie rods, i found out tonight that these were checked last time... apart from that she is running very nice :)

got a couple of pictures, but was an overcast day so not that great...

the reason i was asking if you rotated the wheels front to back was because we had a lot of trouble ballancing the left rear wheel, even when the ballancer said it was ballanced it still wobbled and felt unballanced, that is why i always kept those to wheels on the rear...

just thought i would let ya know

oh and those wheels we forever throwing a wheel weight off :)