SAU Community

Triming Of Fan Blades With Fmic?

Damo

I have read so many posts now on installation issues with the Hybrid FMIC. I am looking at getting one over the next week and want to know exactly what is required here.

Info req on S1 R33 GTST

Some people say you need to cut back the fan blades to allow the piping to pass back behind the radiator, other people say this is not necessary. Who has and who hasnt trimmed back the blades? And what about the balance on the blades, wont this get affected if it is trimmed back?

Also,

I have read you need to cut a hole through the body somewhere to fit the pipe through. What tools are required to cut into the body? Will a hacksaw do or should i go out and buy a drill?

Appreciate any help guys

Damo

Its not the fan blades, but the fan shround at the top, to let the piping cross over the top of the fan where it needs to be cut.

Also the drivers side inner guard needs a hole cut (depending on pipework size) if you want to plumb it that way. You can buy a hole saw to cut it out in one go.

Mine is done the way you are suggesting, and if i did it over agian i would just follow the factory piping route...i dont like my car all cut up :D

i have had to cut the blades

you wont be able to cut the hole with a hacksaw.

you will need a circular drill bit.

also buy some small rubber tubing, and split it so its like a "C" and run it around the edge of the hole you drilled..

it will look neater and will stop any squeaking if the piping happens to touch the edge of the hole

I have read so many posts now on installation issues with the Hybrid FMIC.  I am looking at getting one over the next week and want to know exactly what is required here.

Info req on S1 R33 GTST

Some people say you need to cut back the fan blades to allow the piping to pass back behind the radiator, other people say this is not necessary.  Who has and who hasnt trimmed back the blades? And what about the balance on the blades, wont this get affected if it is trimmed back?

Also,

I have read you need to cut a hole through the body somewhere to fit the pipe through.  What tools are required to cut into the body?  Will a hacksaw do or should i go out and buy a drill?

Appreciate any help guys

Damo

Damo, if you are looking at a kit, you might want to check out this link

http://www.justjap.com/forumcoolerkitspecial.htm

To fit the kit you will need a 3 inch hole saw to create the hole in the inner guard.

Wether the fan blades need to be clipped or not depends on the kit you use and how its fitted. At worst a small trim on the edge of the each blade should be all thats required, and this wont cause any problems with the "balance" of the fan blades.

Cheers,

Nick

DONT NOT GET THE PIPING KIT FOR THE HYBRID FMIC'S!!!!

After 10 hrs trying to fit my hybrid intercooler kit (by a professional fabricator that use to work at a workshop) it was found that there was NO WAY IN THE WORLD that the pipes that come with the kit will fit a r33.

Now we even had to replace the clutch fan with a thermo fan to even make the top pipe look like fitting.

Then for the left hand side pipe, the one that comes out of the FMIC, woulda been 100mm too long, and woulda come out BEHIND the alternator.

This kit is the biggest piece of sh** money can buy.

So after 10 hrs of hard labour, all that we got done was a thermo install! :@

:END RANT:

didnt have any issues with the piping on mine and yes I did have to trim the fan blades no big deal I have a r33 s1 with type M bar. I had it cut the bar support and the bar itself for the core to fit but piping ect lined up. my kit did come with clear instructions and was a genuine hybrid kit not a copy.

DONT NOT GET THE PIPING KIT FOR THE HYBRID FMIC'S!!!!

After 10 hrs trying to fit my hybrid intercooler kit (by a professional fabricator that use to work at a workshop) it was found that there was NO WAY IN THE WORLD that the pipes that come with the kit will fit a r33.

Now we even had to replace the clutch fan with a thermo fan to even make the top pipe look like fitting.

Then for the left hand side pipe, the one that comes out of the FMIC, woulda been 100mm too long, and woulda come out BEHIND the alternator.

This kit is the biggest piece of sh** money can buy.

So after 10 hrs of hard labour, all that we got done was a thermo install! :@

:END RANT:

Wow, dont know what you bought but it sounds like you bought one of the cheap craphouse kits that some backyarders have been offering.

The majority of the Hybrid style cooler kits being sold by respected traders on this and other forums are of avery high standard, however one or two traders that I have come acros s have had cheapo piping kits made up to drop their price which have exhibited terrible welding and a sub-standard finish

Im sure there is more to that story.

What kit did you buy exactly? and from whom?

I fiited my FMIC a couple of weeks ago in my garage with a mate, I had the cheap ass blue alloy pipes and a fake hybrid cooler, with a bit of patience it fitted perfectly, you will need a 3 inch hole saw and some basic tools. The trimming of the front bar is the most difficult to get perfect you just have to to it bit by bit. The cooler works perfectly with no leaks and im very happy with the purchase. you will need to trim the fan blades back alittle to clear the top pipe.

Heres a Pic:

post-14246-1127800422.jpg

i installed the hybrid gt spec fmic. these kits are crap. trim the fan blade? why do r&d sections of motor car companies spend thousands and thousands of dollars on perfectly balancing the clutch fan, its because it is one of the most integral part of the engine. its bull s%&t. i extended the mounting brackets to clear the fan and had to make some minor mofidfications to the actual pipng(by this i mean with the F?&king angle grinder) to make it fit. do your self a favour and by a kit that is model specific and not generic. its not the cooler dont get me wrong it works perfect now, but dont even think about following the instructions to fit the piping, there f&8ked.

I fitted mine today. :lol:

To that dude that couldn't fit it in 10 hours, that must have been a dodgy kit because there was no problems with mine. I was going to fit it at home but because it was so fricken cold took it to a workshop & did it there. Forgot the camera so couldn't take any pics for the tutorial I was planning. :)

I trimmed the blades, some people I have heard have done it VERY wrong. What you need to do is:

Standing with the engine bay to your right, trim the blades diagonally left to right. Adjust the pipe to see how much you need to take off, and mark them all as evenly as possible. You will see what I mean when you get ready to do it, looking back you don't even really need to take much off.

I'm getting a new front bar as well, my stock s1 bar has been savaged to shit. :) I will actually take some pictures now of it & you can get an idea of what's going on, if they turn out alright.