SAU Community

Gtr Miss: Not Coil Or Plug...

liber8_d

Hey guys,

(Car is R32 GTR with 120000km, cat-back3.5, pods and EBC)

I finally found some time to have a look under the bonnet today, and after unpluging the coils one by one I figured it was no.6(closest to firewall) that was the problem, as the engine sound didn't change when I pulled that one like it did on the first five(its always the last one you check!).

So I definitely have a cylinder not running for some reason.

First up I pulled the three rear coils out and checked them. They looked ok to me, but I don't really know what to look for in a faulty one. Then I swapped 5&6 coils and started it up again.

Same deal, dropped another cylinder when I pulled the plug on no.5, but no change on no.6.

So pulled the plugs out, cleaned them up a bit(no.6 had a bit of carbon ccrap on it) and blasted them with compressed air, and put them back in, in the opposite holes.

Same again, still no.6 the problem.

What do I do now? What is next on the list for me to check? Any ideas, hints?

I had convinced myself that it would be a dodgy coil, as everyone talks about them playing up. I don't know what to do now, as I had hoped to get it running properly before taking it in to get the PFC in and tuned.

mate you can't tell if the coil if faulty by just looking at it. find a mate with a GTR and ask if you can borrow one of his coils to test. Go from there.

This seems to be a coil issue so i'm not sure of the title of your post. Alternatively you could probably find a second hand coil for relatively little money.

mate you can't tell if the coil if faulty by just looking at it. find a mate with a GTR and ask if you can borrow one of his coils to test. Go from there.

This seems to be a coil issue so i'm not sure of the title of your post. Alternatively you could probably find a second hand coil for relatively little money.

Sorry mate, but I'm almost certain its not a coil issue.

If you read all of my first post, I said I swapped coils between two cylinders and the miss was still on the same cylinder, so in my mind that means its not a coil.

So that is the coil module.

Ok, I'll check that, but what/how should I check, apart from just making sure the wiring is still good with mltimeter?

Easiest would be to swap the module with another and see if it fixes the prob.

I believe they can stuff up from overheating. Once that happens you just chuck 'em and get another, shouldn't be much more than $100.

Easiest would be to swap the module with another and see if it fixes the prob.

I believe they can stuff up from overheating. Once that happens you just chuck 'em and get another, shouldn't be much more than $100.

Thanks mate, I'll check the wiring and make sure that is ok, and if I cant pinpoint the problem to that wiring or anything else I'll drive up to JustJap(only 20mins away) and see if they'll let me test one if they have one available. Thanks again.

Scooby: Yeah, I'll check the plug when I'm checking the wiring, if thats what you mean. If you mean sparkplug, again, read my original post; I've swapped it already.

r33_racer: I'll add injector to the list of things to check. Is it hard to disconnect and swap with another cylinder? I've never touched an injector before, but I'll have a mate who is clued up with me tomorrow, so may be ok.

Thanks for your suggestions guys

not just injector itself..check the wiring and plug for it also. If you have a stethascope use that to check for the ticking of the injectors...if not then a descent sized screw driver can double as a descent stethascope.

hey mate,

I had the same problem like you the other day although I drive a calais turbo. My car sounded like an engine was missing too so I did all same procedure as you would. Unplugged the leads to find the problematic cylinder. I found there was no change with cylinder no.2. So I thought it was the distributor cap due the fact it has grooves inside it and i thought that would cause the engine to misfire. went and replaced it. No change, swap the leads over. still no change. although the same lead works ok on my girlfriend's car. I also tested the same lead on my car with another SPARK PLUG and there was spark. So I unplugged injector cable and still there was no change. I thought to myself you bloody beauty. It must be the injector. spend 45 mins at the wrecker to find a replacement injector brought it home and swap it over. Still no change. I was so upset after so many hours of trying to FIX the problem. YOU know what it was. THE DAMM SPARK PLUG inside the car. I know you took it out and gave it a clean but it could be faulty. SIMPLE but sometimes could be OVERLOOKED. Now the car is running find cause I have replaced the whole six.

I don't think it got anything to so with the COMP test. when you loose compresson the engine might run rough but not drop dead altogether

well that's my 50 cents work.

Edited by inasin

hey mate,

I had the same problem like you the other day although I drive a calais turbo. My car sounded like an engine was missing too so I did all same procedure as you would. Unplugged the leads to find the problematic cylinder. I found there was no change with cylinder no.2. So I thought it was the distributor cap due the fact it has grooves inside it and i thought that would cause the engine to misfire. went and replaced it. No change, swap the leads over. still no change. although the same lead works ok on my girlfriend's car. I also tested the same lead on my car with another SPARK PLUG and there was spark. So I unplugged injector cable and still there was no change. I thought to myself you bloody beauty. It must be the injector. spend 45 mins at the wrecker to find a replacement injector brought it home and swap it over. Still no change. I was so upset after so many hours of trying to FIX the problem. YOU know what it was. THE DAMM SPARK PLUG inside the car. I know you took it out and gave it a clean but it could be faulty. SIMPLE but sometimes could be OVERLOOKED. Now the car is running find cause I have replaced the whole six.

I don't think it got anything to so with the COMP test. when you loose compresson the engine might run rough but not drop dead altogether

well that's my 50 cents work.

Thanks mate, but like I said, I've swapped the sparkplugs between the suspect cylinder and a good one and there was no change. That was first on the list of checks after the coil.

As most people have been saying it is most likely a channel on the ignitor.

If it is a coil (not saying it isn't as i've had that problem aswell) you should be able to see the coil arcing to the head if you run the engine in the dark.

I have had both fail though the coil related miss was intermittent and wouldn't start until the car had heated up after maybe 5 minutes of idling. It would also fire occasionally so wasn't completely dead.

The dead channel on the ignitor is my pick.

Had the same problem last week, at first thought it was fuel as the problem came and went just after a refill.

Added half a cup of metho still come and went but more when the engine was hot.

Waited untill it started again and tested the coils found open curcuit on #1 coil. After discussions with a few proformance shops, it seams to be common as the coils are around 15 years old.

Couldn't find a single coil at the wreckers so purchased at set of Spitfire coils now runs as smooth as silk.

Cheers

And first prize goes to....r33_racer!

Thanks guys. It ended up being something related to the injector, I don't know exactly what, but something was loose, and it has now been tightened. If this sounds vague, thats because I was in Port Stephens with my girlfriend when one of my mates and his dad found the problem. I only spoke to my mate for about a minute so I dont know yet. I just got back, and I started her up and she sounds sweet; I've only got one burbling car now!(Subaru)

Now, in with the PFC and off to get it tuned! I just dont know whether to get the exhaust finished(front pipes, dumps and cat) before I do this or get it done later. I meant to get it before, but I've had a few unexpected expenses lately so I dont know how the funds will go. Same with Poncams or cam gears.