SAU Community

R33 Sii - My Gt30 Upgrade Is Done. Lots Of Pics

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock turb a 33-t does 200 tops.

stock turb a GTR can get to near 300  So its believable easily.

NEO runs more compression than non-NEO RB25. Thats why 14psi is limits :D

Thats what i think :)

The stock R33 turbo IS a 0.63 A/R

The stock GTR turbo is a 0.42 A/R

A gtr turbo on it's own cannot get 300, there is a pair of them don't forget.

As with the compression, 14psi boost is not it's limit. You are right about fuel being his problem but these engines will take more than 14 psi. I have sent them over 18psi on stock internals with no ping whatsoever. It just needs to be tuned properly.

The better option would have probably been to go for a true GT30R on a highmount with external gate. You will achieve massive results provided you can keep the fuel up to it. A water methanol injection system will help you out with your pinging problem as you are effectively increasing the octane rating of the fuel.

Then look at an electronic boost controller to fix the weird boost problems, he said he'd just stick a 15psi actuator on there to make it easier again..

Im using a dual stage Hybrid brand EBC, and can recommend it. Cost f-all really. No spikes, doesnt go past what I tell it to go up to, etc. Good value for money, Mafia.

With a big upgrade like you've got I would have thought it'd be wise to have a solenoid-controlled boost (although I am a newb @ turb's so my opinion counts for jack s_t).

Hhhm, crating drums of petrol isnt a bad short-term solution, just initially very expensive. Maybe worth looking into to help out in the meantime, whilst you're waiting for new higher Ron petrol bowsers in your area!! :D

Keep at it mate, well done, and I hope I never run into headf* problems when I have the $ to do my gt30-hiflow upgrade (18months away). <_<

Brendan

I'd consider shipping drums up but I can't due to the fact I have no where to store it. If I did, I would certainly do it.

I'm not a guy with heaps of cash either so yeah, I'll be looking for the most cost effective solution.

One of my mates runs a Supra with 375rwkw, and he said that he got the last 100hp with the water methanol kit. Stopped all pinging.

I guess thats all we can do for now until we get some fuel which I highly doubt.

As with the compression, 14psi boost is not it's limit. You are right about fuel being his problem but these engines will take more than 14 psi. I have sent them over 18psi on stock internals with no ping whatsoever. It just needs to be tuned properly.

The 14psi thing, if you read what i quoted, was Bass Junky's limit for his NEO using the GCG hi-flow before pinging was an issue due to the higher compression of the NEO vs the non-NEO RB25 (did i just repeat myself?)

Its not a question of how much out-right PSI you cna screw into the thing.

Its the airflow

The better option would have probably been to go for a true GT30R on a highmount with external gate. You will achieve massive results provided you can keep the fuel up to it. A water methanol injection system will help you out with your pinging problem as you are effectively increasing the octane rating of the fuel.

So are you saying that because his turbo isnt "true", meaning high-mounted and he isnt using an external gate that he isnt getting the best results?

Considering that 95 fuel is being used and such low boost the results themselves are pretty damn good.

Fuel/meth and boost with a .63 and it'll be up into the 250 no worries

And thats pretty much as far as its gonna get, maybe 270 as a peak

A GT30 with the older wheel really isnt doing a great deal other than hanging on for the ride with 14psi on his motor

So are you saying that because his turbo isnt "true", meaning high-mounted and he isnt using an external gate that he isnt getting the best results?

I'm not saying he won't get what he has set out to achieve with the setup he has. I am saying he will achieve more with the other setup and won't have exhaust restriction to worry about.

I don't believe the exhaust manifold poses a problem up until ~300rwkw where it literally hits a brick wall and will not allow any more power to be made.

There's 2 RB's running around Adelaide with the stock log, both appear to hit a brick wall ~300rwkw.

One of the turbo's is a GT3540 .82 internal gate running ~18-19psi making slightly over 300rwkw on a rb30det, the other is a GT3040 running an internal gate making ~300rwkw on a rb25det. Both are running cams, running on the same dyno that is known not to be conservative.

BUT, there is gains to be had by using a nice manifold. More ignition timing due to less uneven cylinder reversion. One person I know of picked up 20rwkw (306 - 326rwkw) by changing the exhaust manifold @ the same boost.

Edited by Cubes

I also agree it's fuel but what's stopping him from just injecting more of it? Back up the timing a degree or two and up the boost. 98 and 100 ron fuels haven't been around forever and people didn't seem to have any problems back then

The fuel does play a big part but I do think its its simply a combination of things. It needs some good dyno time to sort them out.

Fuel, Cam timing, afr's, ign. timing and boost.

Mafia... Do a map trace and take note of what load points are used, then let us know what ignition timing is being run through out the rev range at WOT.

Edited by Cubes

hang on, one sec your saying he needs to high-mount and ext gate the turbo.

but now its the fuel thats causeing the problem?

Its simple, whats stopping him? fuel!

No point backing out too much timing to screw boost into it.

The fuel needs to be sorted before those sorts of things get fiddled with

98/100 hasnt been around that long... maybe, but niether has higher compression ratios

I never said that. Go back and read my post. I was saying that he would, in general, achieve higher results with that type of setup. I wasn't saying that was the cause of his lack of power at the moment.

Its simple, whats stopping him? fuel!

No point backing out too much timing to screw boost into it.

The fuel needs to be sorted before those sorts of things get fiddled with

98/100 hasnt been around that long... maybe, but niether has higher compression ratios

here is the Ignition map...pretty pathetic hey... It gives me a maximum of 20 knock on a hot 35 - 40 degree day. NOt sure on the WOT positions, but you can kind of see it on the fine tuning on the p13 and p14 rows. I don't think it gets any lower than that.

timing.htm

The cruise areas look like they have been tweaked.

This could possibly be the reason for poor fuel economy.

I'll have a look exactly how much they have been tweaked. :P

Too much ignition timing can cause poor fuel economy also.

Edited by Cubes