SAU Community

Passing Maneuvres On The Track

Intensevil

Something i've had on my mind for a while that i just cant figure out.

On a track if someone crashes while attempting to make a pass whos fault is it?

eg:

2 cars coming up to a right hand corner. The car on the outside (1) is lined up for the proper racing line and the car on the inside (2) is lined up on a bad racing line.

Car 2 is able to pull off better braking and cuts into where car 1 would have driven near the apex, at this point both cars are even. Now say car 1 were to hit car 2, whos fault would it be?

Would it be car 1's fault for turning into car 2?

The reason im wondering this is because a while ago i went gokarting and got up the arse of this girl who would keep taking the smoothest line possible. I was able to match match her on the straight and actualy go faster through most of the course than her but was unable to overtake. The only place i could overtake was at the left on the end of the main straight. But I didnt try it because i was sure she'd just dart accross from the outside and smash into me. I eventualy spun out after trying to pass her on the out side :D

depends how far up you came up to the other car/kart on braking. It all comes down to who will yield. if the car going up on the inside has reached far enough on the inside without locking it up or anything going into the turn, the car taking the desired line would have to allow for room...and vice versa. just cos you take up the inside, you cant run them off the track cos you are carrying too much speed. It all depends really on how you try to execute the move. Does that make sense?

My advice....best way to overtake someone that is too hard to pass, follow their line and at the braking point, "accidently" brake later (in a straight line) and nudge them. This will force them to go wide and you got a clear shot at the apex! HAHAHAHA

"Rubbin' is racing"

it is 100% the fault of the driver that did not give the other one racing room on the track. In your go kart case if you are alongside someone and they turn into the apex via you it is their fault for not giving you room.

But on the other hand you actually have to be far enough alongside the other car/kart....a lot of the time people think they were close enough but they arent relly :D

Learning how to get past without crashing is the real art of racecraft :D its often not about the fastest car, and it can require a lot of patience.

7-2 of the CAMS manual....

i) Overtaking: During a race, a vehicle alone on the track may use the full width of the said track. However, as soon as it is caught up on a straight by a vehicle which is either temporarily or consistently faster, the driver shall give the other vehicle the right of way by pulling over to one side in order to allow passing on the other side.

ii) if the drver who was been caught does not seem to making full use of his/her rear view mirror, the flag marshal/s will give a warning by waving a blue flag...systematic or repeated offences may result in exclusion of the offender from the meeting.

iii) Curvers, as well as the approach and exit zones thereof, may be negotiated by the drivers in any way they wish, within the limits of the track. Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be done on either the right or on the left.

However, manoevers liable to hinder other drivers, such as premature changes of direction, more than one change of directionm deliberate crowding of vehicles towards the inside or the outside of the curve or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited and shall be penalised according to the importance and repitition of the offences....

v) The penalty for ignoring the blue flag will also be applied to drivers who obstruct part of the track and shall be more severe in the case of systematic obstruction....The same penalties shall be applied to drivers who swing from one side of the track to the other in order to prevent other competitors from overtaking.

There you have it....but philta's call about the biggest balls is closer to the mark in practice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well said Duncan!

You are completely correct.

But at the end of the day , If you are both going for the same corner, Most real racers know that if your fellow racer has the big balls to go up beside you, he will usualy have plenty of car speed to back it up!

You are better off to respect his position for the said corner and STICK IT UP HIM ON THE NEXT ! Yes?.

Cheers!

MIB

\

7-2 of the CAMS manual....

i) Overtaking: During a race, a vehicle alone on the track may use the full width of the said track.  However, as soon as it is caught up on a straight by a vehicle which is either temporarily or consistently faster, the driver shall give the other vehicle the right of way by pulling over to one side in order to allow passing on the other side.

ii) if the drver who was been caught does not seem to making full use of his/her rear view mirror, the flag marshal/s will give a warning by waving a blue flag...systematic or repeated offences may result in exclusion of the offender from the meeting.

iii) Curvers, as well as the approach and exit zones thereof, may be negotiated by the drivers in any way they wish, within the limits of the track. Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be done on either the right or on the left.

However, manoevers liable to hinder other drivers, such as premature changes of direction, more than one change of directionm deliberate crowding of vehicles towards the inside or the outside of the curve or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited and shall be penalised according to the importance and repitition of the offences....

v) The penalty for ignoring the blue flag will also be applied to drivers who obstruct part of the track and shall be more severe in the case of systematic obstruction....The same penalties shall be applied to drivers who swing from one side of the track to the other in order to prevent other competitors from overtaking.

There you have it....but philta's call about the biggest balls is closer to the mark in practice :D