Anti - 4wd/suv Discussion

DanR33

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i find most people that tailgate me, own 4WD/SUV's... they seem to think that because their bullbar sits at my window level, that im scared of it, all it does is make me drive ever so slow...

last sunday night i was driving up scarborough road, and there was a 4WD behind me in the middle lane, at a set of lights. he sat on my ass at the lights, and sat on my ass for a good 500m, so i knocked the shifter into neutral, let off the gas, and gradually coasted to a stop, in the middle of scarb beach road, no other cars in the other lanes... and guess what? he stayed right on my ass and had to stop due to not enough room to go around!

i'll admit it probably wasnt smart to stop in the middle of the road, but for christ sake!

other times ive had to brake suddenly on the freeway/roe highway, etc when a 4wd has suddenly moved just infront of me in my lane, so not to headbut their overly high tow ball.

im just waiting for one of the days when a 4wd tail gates me, and i have to brake for some reason, and they wear the rear end of my R33... i hope they realise the top/rear left/rear right is all one expensive panel.

ahh tailgating fwits not limited to 4wds tho it does seem more prominant (them and vl drivers) well see the sky needs a new coat of paint and the work ute well lets just say theyll come of second best ally pos bullbar or no so my theory closer you get slower i go

and as for at corners i just wait ill get there eventually

My gf had a 4WD run into the back of her when she was living in QLD at 80km/h. He barely hit the brakes. Hit her so hard it smashed her into 5 cars in front of her. Put her in hospital and they said if she was in any other car she'd be dead. Lucky her first car was a Volvo 244. After the accident the boot lid was in the back seat.

It was deemed the 4WD fault for all the cars as enough stopping distance was left. There was a brand new merc and some other exotic in the pile up (alot of expensive cars in surfers). He had 3 kids and no insurance. He just ruined his family's future. Serves him right for putting my gf in hospital & owning a 4WD.

hahaha this thread is funny.

Imaging a bunch of people driving high powered sports cars complaining about someone else's cars being unsuitable for every day driving!

I'm sure there is a thread on 4wd-ersaustralia.com where they are bagging dangerous young hoons who have cars that can break the speed limit in under 5 seconds from a standing start.

If you go to a track for that ONE WEEKEND AWAY a year HIRE ONE DICKFACE! :)

thats a valid topic duncan..

however not every skyline owner breaks the speed limit in 5 seconds, etc.. so in a normal scenario, a skyline is like any other sedan/coupe out there, if anything being low allows other people so see around/over us easier!

whereas driving a 4wd, its kind of hard for them to not block view or whatever the case may be.

my pet hate with 4wd owners, is their parking.. they are barely ever 100% in the bay, or straight in the bay, and when they open their doors, they slam their lower door into my window/upper panel area!

Plus our high powered sports car have more than adequate safety equipment to slow down or handle road conditions the same if not better than other cars, esp 4WD's Big brakes - Big tyres - Better supsension AND I would hazard a guess and say rarely that we block other motorists view... except with smoke...sometimes...maybe :)

I agree with what Mitchy posted, they think by tailgaiting you there are intimidating you, I just slow down & let them move around. If I'm on the freeway & they change lanes I just happen to accidently accelerate as they do.

And as said earlier in the thread when you are at a stop/give way sign you can't see at all. There is nothing you can do if you are there first, but if there is going to be a 4wd blocking the view I just stop a few metres back from the line & go from there.

Not all F series are 4wds :)

Seen how high up the new 2wd hilux n rodeo are ?

Also the new 2wd hiace vans are taller then the cruiser :lol:

And my 4wd gets better fuel economy then my turboed skyline :blink:

Not all F series are 4wds :)

Also the new 2wd hiace vans are taller then the cruiser :lol:

And my 4wd gets better fuel economy then my turboed skyline :blink:

Alright smart arse...didn't we already ban you from this thread? :(

Vans are actually useful tho... And they don't have big f**koff bullbars on them...

Hilux and Rodeo could be counted as SUV's...so they are just as bad..

Yes but 1 of the arguments is 4wds block ya veiw because of size ...

Next it will be ban all roadtrains n trucks with bullbars :(

And while we on it lets ban idiots that tow big caravans behind small ass falcons n commodores that travel in pairs and sit on 80ks in 110 zone and skyline n silvia drivers that think they are the next D1 champion

Not all F series are 4wds  :(

Also the new 2wd hiace vans are taller then the cruiser  :lol:

And my 4wd gets better fuel economy then my turboed skyline  :(

Hilux, Rodeo and Hiace's are purpose built vehicles. They are made for deliveries/jobsides/tradies. And in general this is what they are used for.

4WD/SUV's are purpose built vehicles too. I have no problem with that. The problem is people buy them as a gimmick. They buy them because they are big. Not because they are going off road.

People who own big trucks and vans buy them because they need them. People who buy 4WD/SUV's buy them because they can.

I have nothing against trucks as they are a neccesary requirement for our economy etc etc... They already pay extra tax, huge fuel costs - purely because of quantity purchased tho, huge maintenance costs - not cheap to service a truck. They are an annoyance - BUT - they aren't driven by angry middle aged men who try and intimidate people (Not always the case I admit)

On the subject of bullbars - If you were to conduct an experiment where it involved a sports car (or any other car) and a 4WD with a bullbar where you drove the vehicles into objects resembling humans at the same speed, I'm sure the 4WD would cause more damage - The force of impact behind the 4WD would be much greater due to increased mass, the damage caused would be greater as the bullbar would focus the points of impact into much smaller surface areas, transmitting the shock over a much smaller area causing more severe yet localised(probably) injuries - INITIALLY until the person was hit by the rest of the vehicle..

I'm sure using physics equations you could work out the forces exerted exactly by each vehicle over the affected areas - unfortunately it has been a while since I have done any and cannot remember off the top of my head... :(

But yeh - if I had a choice in which vehicle was going to take me out, I'd choose a smaller car..

I was behind a landrover discovery this morning. The dude was doing 40 in a 60 zone with soft bends and each time he went around a soft bend his 4WD had so much sway in it that it almost tipped over. I dont know why these things are allowed on the road. It so obvious they are unsafe!