SAU Community

Rb20det Gearbox Possibilities?

PALADN

Hey just about to get my r32 back from the turners with around 230rwkw at the wheels but because I use the car for drift I think that Ill need to put a new gearbox in.

what I want to know are there any other options other than an rb25 box? will a VL turbo box fit?

Before you comment I have done a search & couldnt find the right info

Edited by PALADN

You can fit any gearbox if you have enough time and money....

I'd think RB25 is going to have the best combination of strength, cost & ease of conversion.

I've seen another guy convert a GTR box to RWD to save a few bucks, but the comment was something like if you can't do the fabrication work yourself then it's not worth it compared to the RB25 box

Edited by browny

yes a 25box is a good idea. the syncros a only a bit more efective but. if u smash the gears with button clutch it will pop.

a good one is the 34gtt box. beter syncro design and uses a bigger clutch.(250mm vs 240mm but pull type)

to fit it in the tunnel is a bit of an exercise. is ai origonaly an auto? they have a bigger tunel.

getting the corect drivline angle is very important.(getting the back of the box high enough)

not somthing that id do in my driveway, but much more thrashproof.

mx7 gearbox is the same size but has shit syncros and even worse ratios.

unless you want to run 3.4:1 diff ratio :angry:

Edited by T04GTR

I already broke the box on my 32 (with an Rb25) and then found out I had an Rb20 box. Went shopping for an Rb25 box and the cheapest I could find was $1450.. Rb25 boxes are worth a few $$$ :P

Greg

• 3 months later...

I have been told the 300ZX box is exactly the same as the HCR32, except you'll need to change the bell housing.

I was told this when doing my conversion but I would want to be sure before purchasing if I was you.

I went with the R33 box.