SAU Community

How To Clean Afm

WhatBrake

Just wondering if you could help. Its slightly off topic but will help the topic starter. A mate of mine had an rb20det in which he used contact cleaner to clean his AFM as was advised to do this by his mechanic when it was running a bit rough.

Anyway afterwards it was running much worse. The mechanic tried fixing all different things but in the end they fixed the problem by replacing the AFM.

He used the right stuff in the exact way the mechanic said to use it. Although I wasn't there i'm taking his word.

So do you think the cleaning stuffed his AFM in some way and how? Anyone else had this happen? Or was it possibly the way he cleaned it or something he did wrong?

I've never cleaned one before so this is to help me, my mate and whatbrake for when he embarks on cleaning his AFM.

Remember when cleaning airflow meters with contact cleaner to hold the can an arms length (at least) away from the afm and spray (use a fine jet spray rather than atomiser), they are VERY easily damaged even by a liquid spray and can indeed run badly after too heavy handed cleaning. To dry use a compressor again at least arms length away. A friend of mine cleaned his too vigorously and had to replace one soon afterwards :P