SAU Community

13.4 second 1/4 for your 'stockish' R33. (A how to guide).

rev210

Im using the standard ECU and the Air/Fuel ratio's are all over the place at the end because the ECU is going into rich and retard mode. We tried dropping the boost down to 10psi and this was still happening

:P

Got my car on the dyno the other day and it was making 173kw on 12psi and 181kw on 13psi. I thought this kind of power was ok for the mods i have. So rev210, u got any ideas as to why my terminal speed is slow?

My boost was actually bleeding from 12psi down to 9psi?

Could this have been the reason?

I recently got a new boost controller from simark87, and it seems to be holding better.

Sorry bout the stupid questions, its just that im going down to the drag strip in the next couple of weeks and dont wanna be stuck in the 14's again.

P.S: Check my post further up for mods and time etc.

Thanks for ur help

Mike

:P

Hi Mike,

I think basically you are not making the 181rwkw at the strip for some reason. I suggest the 'hot' air your pod is drinking in when you run. Did you dyno with the bonnet down? Get a cold air partition made and it should be fine mate.

what if i put the standard airbox back on with a K&N panel filter?

:rofl:

This is what I did. Much better than an unshielded pod. I ran 13.8 with just a zorst and 10psi (on 205 tires)....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hi mate interesting post ,

i couldnt open up the link to your time sheet what mile per hour and 60 foot did you run ?

also you say the timing was altered , was that the camshaft timing , ignition timing or ignition map?

good read, very fast for minimal mods.

I always keep an eye on times and other things and one thing i noticed in particular was the difference in times lots put up. More so when the 60fts and mods are the same. Example below

HKS-R33,

My old R33 gtst had an exhaust and pineapples only (everything else stock) and ran 13.8's pretty easy on 205's. Get a heat sheild and see how you go.

My mates R33 GTST with full zorst, cooler, 14-15psi, splitfires and a 2.060ft ran in a 13.75@104mph. Yet yours got 13.8 with zorst only (not boost controller etc?) what 60ft was your run. Surely it will not be much greater then 2.0 so i wonder where the time is being made by you, or perhaps lost by my mate? What was your MPH on these 13.8 runs?

well i haven't got a skyline, but in my chaser i ran a 14.06 @103mph with a 2.38 60ft time running standard SMIC and running 8.5psi (9.5 on the spike). I just couldn't get off the line even with the auto as i had bald tyre :(

I'm having a guess with a 1.8-1.9 60Ft mark with the same mph i would be in the mid 13's

Once again, I've sat and watched an auto chaser with a cooler and cat back zorst (i think, could have been turbo back), auto as well pull consistent low 15s/high14s at around 97-98mph.

So i wonder yours got to 103mph so stocko.

Either way. My R34 GTT (at the same track as all the above times ive mentioned) scrapped in a 14.0 @98mph. This was with a 2.0 60ft. So its about as good as its going to get. boost increase and cat back exhaust. Thats running 19s up front and an unsheilded pod.

I just cant work out the difference between times. Ie chaser pulling so much MPH where every other one i have seen its dead on my MPH (about what to expect with similar torque and power figures)

hmmmmm....

I always keep an eye on times and other things and one thing i noticed in particular was the difference in times lots put up. More so when the 60fts and mods are the same. Example below

My mates R33 GTST with full zorst, cooler, 14-15psi, splitfires and a 2.060ft ran in a 13.75@104mph. Yet yours got 13.8 with zorst only (not boost controller etc?) what 60ft was your run. Surely it will not be much greater then 2.0 so i wonder where the time is being made by you, or perhaps lost by my mate? What was your MPH on these 13.8 runs?

Either way. My R34 GTT (at the same track as all the above times ive mentioned) scrapped in a 14.0 @98mph. This was with a 2.0 60ft. So its about as good as its going to get. boost increase and cat back exhaust. Thats running 19s up front and an unsheilded pod.

I just cant work out the difference between times. Ie chaser pulling so much MPH where every other one i have seen its dead on my MPH (about what to expect with similar torque and power figures)

hmmmmm....

the 13.8 was at 101mph, 2.1 60ft.

98mph = lower power than my old R33 gtst at 101mph terminal.

gear selection and shift point can kill off some time if you get it right.

im running stock turbo with safc2 exh,pod,fmic,any idea's on the tune settings example neo setting dec air blahblah blah,i ran 14.2 a couple of weeks ago massive wheel spin with .55 sec reaction ,2.16 60ft and 98.94mph seemed to run out of legs early.anyone help, not happy

im running stock turbo with safc2 exh,pod,fmic,any idea's on the tune settings example neo setting dec air blahblah blah,i ran 14.2 a couple of weeks ago massive wheel spin with .55 sec reaction ,2.16 60ft and 98.94mph seemed to run out of legs early.anyone help, not happy

The SAFC should be tuned with a wideband and or dyno. can't just copy someone elses settings.

the Dec air isn't needed unless you run an atmo BOV.

2.1 60ft is ok. The Pod is unshielded? if so that doesn't help.

The SAFC should be tuned with a wideband and or dyno. can't just copy someone elses settings.

the Dec air isn't needed unless you run an atmo BOV.

2.1 60ft is ok. The Pod is unshielded? if so that doesn't help.

yeah unshielded with intake pipe just need to find somewere good to take it was runnin 235/45/18 old things .thanx man

post-42338-1212746262_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

hey there rev just another kiwi here i got a r33 s1 1993 auto and also trying to get max outa standard ecu and standard exhaust yet to take her in for second dyno . She got 150 kw at wheels with 6.7 psi blocked radiator and a smallish pod filter and no cat then got new water pump racing cam belt and that replaced and took her to the quarter. She got 14.9 @ 166 since then ive taken all the turbo restricktors of such as boost restricker 2 stage standard controller unplugged restricker pipe of back of turbo removed and replaced with free flow front of intake rubber pipe replaced with alloy pipe 10 inche greedy pod filter and r32 wastegate actuator hope to take it to dyno in next few days then to the quarter again and hopefully i beat u and btw i cant seem to find ur time slip :) and yea standard tyres are 205's!!! i use 225's on the back and 205's on the front and my free flowing standard exhaust lol be good to see what she gets =P

There is a huge difference between 14.9 and 13.4 man! In NZ I have not heard of anyone getting anywhere near the results they get in Oz for whatever reason, so don't hold your breath. Managing a 13.xx is a worthy result on street tyres here.

With an auto you may be struggling that bit more, too...

Edited by Lithium

Im going to keep running on street tyres untill its ultimately clear that i cant get anything more out of it.

Did a few 13.7's @ 99-100mph in my R33, but since then i have replaced the stock dump pipe with a custom :as big as will fit" jobbie, and had a road tune VIA SAFC2.

Still running stock airbox with APEXi Panel filter. Seems to work just fine for me too.

Is shielding the POD really necessary? I was told by a 'knowledgeable mech' that you just starve the intake by doing so; what you may gain by having slightly colder air you lose with another restriction.

Shielding the pod is a great idea - the majority of air will be coming from the front of the car, the ambient heat from behind the filter basically acts as a contaminant to your nice cool air. The front of your car has a huge high pressure zone when you are moving, so long as you allow a path from there to the filter your car should not be starved in the slightest.

I made up a perspex airbox back when I had stock turbo, S-AFC etc and checked the AFM signal on a few runs before and after to see if it dropped or rose and I'd say if anything the airflow meter felt that there was more air flowing through. Possibly denser air, or that the margain of error was greater than the difference in flow :D

Mr Rice - I had the stock intercooler when I did it, it was a prick but still possible

Edited by Lithium