SAU Community

My Beasts

Tangles

MY PRIDE & JOY:

1998 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade, bought second hand at 23500kms

Engine rebuild performed at 31000kms (due to leaky rings; a fault from the first owner using synthetic oil at the first 1000km service), with a long list of Honda standard and various aftermarket HRC parts used

Factory Pro +/- 2 degree ignition advancer

K&N twin pod air filters

Keihin FCR 39mm flatslide racing carburettors

Akrapovic full 4-2-1 exhaust system with individual titanium header pipes, titanium collector pipe, and carbon fibre oval muffler

17inch front rim upgrade from a 1998 CBR600RR F3 USA model with new axle and spacers

310mm Galfer Wave rotors with 58mm offset and 17mm total width with 4.5mm spacers (in lieu of CBR900 standard 310mm with 62mm offset and 21.5mm width)

Sintered front and rear brake pads

Galfer braided stainless steel front only brake lines

Double-bubble dark smoke tinted windscreen

Carbon fibre aftermarket left and right mirrors

Carbon fibre speedo / rev guage surround

Carbon fibre yoke protector

525 DID chain conversion

45tooth rear sprocket

14tooth front sprocket

Speedo has been recalibrated to suit sprocket change

Shindy Daytona adjustable steering damper with mounting kit

Crash bobbins installed to fairings

Rebuilt front suspension with Racetech 1.0kg springs and heavy 15w fork oil

Rebuilt rear suspension with Eibach rear spring rated to 125kg

Matisse rear ride height adjuster (raised rear end by around 2inches)

Carbon pad tank protector

Lockhart Philips half tank protective bra

Carbon fibre mini front and rear turn signals

Competition Werks fender eliminator / tail tidy

Black ABS plastic rear wheel hugger (with dodgy black paint covered in stickers)

Pyramid Plastics solo seat cowl – eliminates passenger seat pad

Valtermoto foot peg spacer adjusters (lowered)

Exhaust hanger bracket – eliminating rear passenger foot pegs

Black wool seat cover

‘CBR’ logo punched out heel guards

‘CBR’ logo punched out sprocket cover (broken, needs re-weld)

Not Yet Fitted: Carbon handlebar end weights, and ‘CBR’ logo handgrips

Wanted: Ohlins rear shock with hi/lo speed damping

Approximately 152 rear wheel horsepower (or 113kw at the wheel) up from 117 rear wheel HP

MY FAMILY CAR:

Dayz special edition Stagea RS V Four

82000kms, automatic, RB25DET engine, Attessa 4wd

Clarion stereo tape unit with 6-stack cd player

Clarion amp

Clarion subwoofer

Pioneer 260w front door speakers

Eclipse 80w rear door speakers

New Oxygen sensor

Bosch 040 fuel pump with direct battery feed at 13.8volts

New high pressure fuel lines

Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Nissan Z32 Air Flow Meter

3inch JustJap stainless single dump pipe system

3inch Catco high flow catalytic converter

3inch Dayz edition cat-back exhaust system with quiet muffler

K&N pod filter in custom enclosure

Apexi 'hybrid' front mount intercooler with custom pipe kit

Hybrid dual stage Electronic Boost Controller, set to 10 & 12psi

Apexi boost gauge

Apexi SAFC Super Air Fuel Computer

Apexi SITC Super Ignition Timing Computer

dyno graph to come, being retuned this week (currently)……

Future mods:

Hiflow RB25 turbocharger

Front DBA slotted rotors

Front braided brake lines

Full suspension kit with some parts from the Group Buy

Cheers all,

Brendan

post-18854-1132807613.jpg

post-18854-1132807682.jpg

Edited by bwilkeson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah! and then some..... tuned to mix it with 2005/6 spec R1's ZX10's GSX1000R's CBR1000's etc. With a set of cams and some port / polish head work, it'd be up to Aussie Superbike spec, but would need front Ohlins road race forks, which arnt cheap.

Spent 9k on the build over the past 2yrs, around 6k of that on ebay, with that 6k in theory being around 10k at normal trade prices from shopfronts. Ebay is a great way to buy when on a budget. I loved doing the build up, was fun fun fun.

But in all honesty I needed a wagon for the 2 kiddies, dog, wife combo, and always wanted an R33 coupe since the mid-90's.... I toyed with an R34 4-door tiptronic idea, but couldnt justify flogging off my 4door VR SS for another 4door, so a Stagea for under 18k was a perfect compromise.

Already spent 5k odd on the wagon, and counting. Stagea is being tuned tomorrow on the dyno (fri 25/11), there's another 1k; will post dyno printout in the Stagea section.

live on ppl's, Brendan

Sweet.. I love the bike.. I've always wanted to get either a RGV or a CBR but the girlfriend wouldn't let me renew my L's lol..

Might go get them secretly again....

Next time I'm in adelaide.. might go bike shopping.. You mind giving us a hand?

Cheers

I did too....seriously :P

lol! Sorry, Ive been working on the man-boobs, but they arnt that great as yet. Didnt mean to dissapoint......

Yup Iceduck, more than welcome! help you sort out a bargain for sure - buying bikes with someone elses money rocks! Plus its great to have 4 or 6 eyeballs go over a bike, not just your 2.

Maybe hide it from the missus at a mates house - works for a while at least. I hide my bike and fact that I rode from my old's for a few months, until I got the guts to admit to my devilish ways.

Had to do something though, knees ruined whatever footy goals I had (was almost there, training 5 nights a week and playing Sat & Sundays), and bike riding is simply the best thing Ive EVER done for myself.

As far as staying alive, yeah 2nd kid on the way in 6 weeks time, so theres an added incentive. Means you ride at 80% and use the grey matter that sits (rusting away) upstairs, not 100% flatstick like the GhostRider.

Cheers for the comments, anyone else here ride at all (on road)?

Brendan

DSC00416.jpg

me!

2005 Vmoto Milan Jx50

2.57kw @ flywheel :P

bought it 1 month ago

did 250km now

as i am quite overweight, the car is struggle to get up hill

might get an exhaust for it later to gain 1 more kw so it can go up to 60 a bit quicker? :lol:

lol, nice work! =)

Tip, always wear safety gear! If you must do jeans, get some Draggin jeans with kevlar seat and knees (Levis disintergrate at 5kmph).

Ankle high boots are important (to catch bone fragments in an accident), and gloves, well, whats the first thing you put on the ground when you fall over?

Very nice on 2 counts. Ohlins make a bloody huge difference, bought an ex-race one for the back of the CBR 600 I used have. It was like night and day. Mind you that was going from tired standard shock to Ohlins.

Have you ever done any track days? If you ever get a chance do a ride day at the Island, effing awesome. I did a couple when I was living in Melbourne. You shit yourself first time you go (Almost highsided at Honda corner on my first out lap, apparently looked very spectacular from behind) but the second time was the most fun I have ever had on a bike.

Stagea is very nice indeed. Practical but very cool in one package.

By the way, don't EVER sell the bike. Been through the whole 2 kids, not using it enough, need some cash deal. You WILL regret it.

Cheers

Yah Geoff, done that twice now due to major knee surgeries and birth of 1st kid. Sold up and regretted it big time. Trying to save for a Ohlins rear (front is sorted nicely, rear spring is perfect but shock is gone), but spending too much on the Stagea too quickly.

Been in full leg braces, 24/7, no weight bearing, no movement at all etc. Done that for 9months in two stints. Not fun, even worse when youve sold up and your mates ride past to rub it in. 2nd time was rebuilding the engine, so gave me something to look forward to.

Havent done PI yet, will do it one day, knee stops me from riding more than a few hundred kms in a few hrs though. Too much pain when lumping my 2metre frame on such a small pocket bike for too long.

Wont comment on Mallala or Mt Gambier tracks, as Ive stated some speed figures here on the forum, so if I get in 'trouble' I can say easily "it was all on the track" and be aok. I think. Or I could say Im full of it????

hehehe :P

Brendan

Have to say rooted knees and a Blade doesn't sound like a very pleasant combo. Not the worlds most comfy riding position.

Have you tried wreckers on the east coast for the rear shock? Best thing about Ohlins is they are rebuildable. Perhaps even try one the car importers for one in Japan. Just a thought.

Can honestly say that I actually feel safer going quick on a bike than I ever have in a car. This may be because I'm slightly deranged. But there is always a time and a place for any such foolishness. :P

Geoff

Talk about sliding, I 'learnt' to ride on a '96 ZX7R Ninja, in the wet (which I loved, before kids at least), that thing would back in the rear into corners, and you could just 'feel' everything it was doing.

Motard riders are a tad crazy though! You gotta be to put slicks on a dirt bike.

Got an exemption from 250cc's after around 6months of riding a little GPX250, used to bottom out the rear on every ride. Was just to silly-big for it. Sold ZX7R, unhappily, due to major knee ops, then grabbed a '98 ZX9R, very nice, not as good though as the '98 CBR900RR though.

Yup, WAY safer going fast on a bike then fast in a car. Cant explain it, you all gotta try it for yourselves.

Still searching ebay for a nice rear shock, but the Stagea is begging for more money as well....... =) What to do?

:P Brendan