SAU Community

Bad Cv Or Wheel Bearing?

bobba

Hi guys,

I have a problem on my R32. It has the GTR rear diff / drive shafts / hubs.

Ever since I put this setup in, it has had a loud humming grindy noise from the rear left.

When I go around a left bend, it's silent. When I go around a right bend, it's louder.

Recently, it also goes TOCK TOCK TOCK around right bends. Loudly, from the rear left.

What I always thought was a wheel bearing might now be a CV.

Anyway, my question is, is it possible for the CV to be making this constant grinding noise that goes away when turning left, or is it likely that both my CV and hub need to be replaced?

Thanks for any replies :rofl:

Bobby.

I just did my rear CV's and they were clicking on takeoff but that was it (when under high load)

The way I checked if they were my CV's was to hold the handbrake fully on and put the car in 1st and slip the clutch to load up the drivetrain.

When doing this my CV's would click, was pretty noticable and if you can get someone else to have a look under the car while your doing this they might be able to confirm where the noise is coming from

Sounds more like a wheel bearing or diff issue but

The CV's are pretty tough, from what I've found on here they dont fail often, not many people seem to have troubles. Mine had a bit of wear but were still fine.

I wouldnt think the noises your describing would be CV's but have a look anway

If it is CV's I would do both, save pulling the car off the road twice to replace them one at a time

Edited by 89CAL

I just noticed on my r32 gtr when I take off slowly I hear the rear left wheel go tick tick, does it even if I'm reversing.

Although lately I've noticed a more louder noise coming from that wheel. If I have my windows down and drive down my street slowly it sounds lime my rear left tyre is flat, it makes that sort of noise.

Would it be my wheels bearings? How do you check/change the rear wheel bearings?

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

I just noticed on my r32 gtr when I take off slowly I hear the rear left wheel go tick tick, does it even if I'm reversing.

Although lately I've noticed a more louder noise coming from that wheel. If I have my windows down and drive down my street slowly it sounds lime my rear left tyre is flat, it makes that sort of noise.

Would it be my wheels bearings? How do you check/change the rear wheel bearings?

Thanks!

Did you sort his out mate? Was it bearings as I have the same problem and was going to change bearings.