SAU Community

Hks 2535 On E85 Power?

Joyous really starting to twist my arm haha.

6boob with gtx3071/76.I hate lag and want to start doing the more track days really. I'll have to just work out what I want. I'll try e85 and the hks 2535 just to how it goes I think. I don't think there would be much point in running e ex gate on the 2535. I'd be wiser to sell it as is an upgrade I think.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have all the hardware to make sweet loving with that car :)

If you're scared of the lag, look at Hypergear's stuff.. it's got a few great turbos for response. The 2535 is a great turbo, but these days it starting to show it's age in terms of performance.

GTX3071R in .63 internally gate would be something that might fit your needs!

Could smash more boost in the midrange, set up the boost controller so that it peaks 4-5psi higher in the midrange and then tapers down to whatever boost you are currently running at redline. The airflow required at redline at say 15psi would be similar to the airflow required at ~20psi at 4000rpm.

If you look at the compressor map and run along the edge of the flow line you can often find on these smaller turbos you can run a lot more boost in the midrange than redline getting the absolute most out of the turbo across the board, would make for massive midrange punch but similar top end power like has been stated.

Something to remember is 18psi doesn't always = 18psi etc, at lower rpm 18psi is flowing far less air than 18psi at high rpm.

Edited by Rolls

This should be very close to what a 2535 would preform on a Rb25det (my turbine wheel is one trim larger). Its bit small for the Rb25det motor but good for a Rb20det.

279rwkws = E85, 243rwkws = P98

power.JPG

It should make 270rwkw on e85

My hks2530 made 250rwkw on a sr and e85

Was the best turbo setup I've had awesome down low and pulled hard up top

The hks 2535 is slighty larger and on a rb so I can't see why it won't make atleast 20rwkw more

So stao what specs is that turbo you put up? Same wheels as a 2535 but larger trim.? Originally I thought 270rwkw would be possible on e85 but the more I think about what r31nismoid said the more I think it will run out up top as the -7 and -9s do on e85. Plus the rear housing is a tiny .64. Wonder how a 2535 would have gone if they made a slightly larger ar rear housing.??? Does anyone think it would be worth putting a billet wheel in. Would it make any difference.

Stao that turbo looks pretty wicked for the street. Making 200rwkw by 4000rpm which is always a pretty quick car for the street I believe and 500nm of torque in the top. Make it a hard punching rb25 and probably a lot of wheel spin haha.

It sounds like most of the GT28 based turbos are going to run out of puff in the 270 - 280 RWKw area and to do better means going up in turbine and housing size - as in beyond GT28 sized anything .

Garretts changeover point from GT28 to GT30 turbines was with the GT2871R t0 GT3071R and its same deal with the newer GTX2867R and GT3067R .

Us RB people are a bit limited in what T3 flanged turbine housings we can use so beyond HKS and OP6 ones (GT28 basiically) your limited to T3/T31 or GT30 ones .

I'd like to know more about power vs turbine response with the GTX3067R and GTX3071R and what can be achieved with Garretts GT30 0.63 AR IW housing in each case .

Its probably worth noting that the GTX3067R uses a T04B comp housing and can probably be a bit more stealthy than the GTX3071R which uses a T04E housing , and would possibly need spacing out like you do with a GT3076R which is same dimensionally .

So where does that leave you with a HKS GT2535 ? You could retain your T3 flanged HKS turbine housing and fit a GTX2867R into it - or opt for one of the modestly sized GTX30R turbos for a bit more . Depends what power you're chasing and how much you can afford to spend . Staos turbos would be cheaper and probably easier to fit .

A .

Edited by discopotato03

It's been mentioned in this thread before but putting a decent manifold on with an external gate is not a bad option. I've just done that with my HKS GT-RS and result has been incredible.

I used a MX Performance exhaust manifold (with 1" runners) and Turbosmart Compgate. We welded the stock internal gate shut.

The 1" runners keeps the gas speed high low in the rev range, so performance on the street is awesome - everyone one who drives it says it's the best Skyline they have driven on the street, as the throttle response is so immediate... It builds positive boost from 1200 rpm, with 5 psi at 2000 rpm and it now makes more power at 14psi of boost than it used to at 18psi. Here's a comparison of the difference of power delivery at the same boost level with the manifold/wastegate change.

IMG_0458_zps6f39d62f.jpg

Given the 2535 is quite similar to the GT-RS, I think you'd hit the power level you're after quite easily with E85 and this manifold setup.

So ryno do you have any pictures of your setup you can post up?

So discopotato03 what would be your choice if aiming for what I am. I'm open for any suggestions. And I do wonder how the hks 2535 housings would go with bigger gtx wheels inside. But for the money I'd probably be better off to go a gtx3067r/3071r. I really want around 270rwkw and any more would be a bonus. I just really want it to be a response monster. As I plan to do a lot more track days and I believe a responsive 270+rwkw is perfect for the street track on e85.

Well Scott at Insight tuned mine and got 271 from my GTRS setup . He also said that turbo seems soooo small but hey it did the numbers .

A GT2535 is the same as a GTRS on the hot side but the compressor is a 71mm one in 52 trim where yours is I think 68ish mm in 56 trim . Also the GTRSs compressor housing is port shrouded so they don't surge with the boot in at low/med engine revs .

You should probabvbly do some searches on the Garrett GTX2867R because they also fit in our HKS turbine housings .The $64 question remains , is it the turbine or compressor side thats holding the power show up - or possibly both sides .

The $128 question is how well does that GTX3067R work in the real world ? I'm reluctant to go beyond the 3067R to the GTX3071R because I don't want 500 Hp or the turbine lag that goes with it .

I'm thinking real hard about that GT3067R and if I went ahead my GTRS would be up for grabs .

A .

Well on paper the new gtx3067r seems like it could a really good thing for us rb25 owners who want a bolt on to standard manifold turbo. And with the to4b surge slotted front housing it should not need the likes of any spacers I'm led to believe? Did your gtrs make the 270rwkw on 98 or e85.? maybe it would be worth me buying a gtx2867r and using the hks .64 housing. Do you know of anyone ever using the Garrett .86 t28 housing with a adaptor plate? Disco I think you should upgrade to the gtx3067r and be the guinie pig for all us rb25 owners.

Hey Josh,

There are more pictures in my build thread below...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/409509-rynos-r32-over-a-decade-and-counting/

Given you want a "response monster" - you'd wet yourself if you drove my car. I wouldn't ditch your 2535 just yet, the MX manifold may be the transformation you're after.

Ryno that is one heck of a ride you have got there. I love the way you have done everything. The torque your car puts out with such a baby turbo is almost unbelievable. That is pretty much exactly what I'm after. Have you ever thought about running e85 or water/meth injection? I wish you were closer to wangaratta Victoria to take me for a wrap. Very impressive build I must say. So who made the dump ect? How much was the manifold ect? I don't think I've ever seen a mx manifold.

I think they have the potential to be good things provided as always you don't get too hungry size wise . Map wise you sort of need to go down a wheel size with them compared to the GT series ie from GT3076R to GTX3071R - and in theory GT3071R to GTX3067R .

Recently I was looking at overlayed maps of these examples and generally the one down size GTX wheels appear to be wider ranging ones but they seem to make their power gains from higher pressure ratios - boost .

You would think that a machined forging would be stronger lighter and a better overall shape than a casting but they chaged things like OD blade count and trim size as well . Think they have extended tips too .

The greatest advantage of a machined wheel is that you can make mild to wild changes and its as simple as changing the CNC programming .

Anyway the Xs will be cheaper OS and if you already have a turbine housing cheaper again .

Anyone selling a GT30 IW big gate one ?

A .