SAU Community

Exhaust Query - Remove Resonator Or Rear Muffler For Sound & Less Restriction?

dori34

so i got rid of my old 3" > 3.5" JJR racing catback as it was obnoxiously loud and TBH it sounded pretty shit and tinny (yes partly cause i am getting old) and installed an apexi super megaphone jasma exhaust that looks to be 3" maybe even 3.5" diameter.

the rear muffler is huge with a smallish 3" tip and it has a large resonator.

Problem is it is too quiet, it sounds almost stock.

I want to give it a bit more sound especially when WOT not general cruising.

question is, do I

1. replace the resonator box with a small hot dog type resonator to give it more sound and i assume less restriction

or

2. replace the rear muffler with a jap cannon?

will be jap cannon if i do go that way. resonator is whatever the exhaust shop has/supplies.

i am not sure if this exhaust flows less than the JJR but i assume it does as the JJR was straight through, small hotdog and large rear cannon, but it hung low (lol) and scrapped alot and my car aint even low.

any suggestions? i've tried searching but haven't found much and my apologies in advance if it is there as i haven't been around SAU for awhile doing research and away from skylines for a very long time

ZDZjMWEzZTIyNzYzNzdkNjlkOTg1MDkwNmJkYjA0

My system is staright through 3in with a 3in straight through resonator in the middle and a Japanese muffler at the rear. I had to look a long time for a Jap muffler that didn't have a "waist" where it stepped down to 2 1/2in in the middle or just before the tip. It is just legal (has a cert) but at 2000 is not too noisy and does not drone on the motorway.

Nope cant do that xgtrx.

The jjr is straight and the Jap exhaust is jasma mandrel bent with no flange on axle back.

Thinking of gettin it cut and.flange.made up with custom dual 2.5" flutes but they may be too loud.

So not sure which affects sound and restriction the most in an system hence this thread asking.

Kiwirs4t, do you have any pics of the setup? Can't picture it ny your description.

My exhaust

2r45qja.jpg

The muffler probably has restrictions within it so I would probably say it is restrictive. I had similar issues years ago and when I cut the muffler open was surprised how restrictive it was. I went varex in the end so best of both worlds.

Just saw your pic. That centre muffler would keep it quiet even with a good quality cannon.

Edited by XGTRX

^^^what he said. My system is similar to yours but instead of the centre muffler I have a straight through resonator similar to the one pictured:

(and my end muffler is 3in straight through all the way).

post-49463-0-58934500-1425027251_thumb.jpg

post-49463-0-03698100-1425027323_thumb.jpg