SAU Community

"Custom" exhaust sound.

Hi,

Finally i have the car running good with no problems(not counting bodywork) and i have the question about custom exhaust.

I rly like this sound: 

I know i know it is a GT-R and i have very poor RB20DE NEO with stock exhaust.

I know i cant get 100% same sound other than i buy "his" car or build the same exhaust. He has some midori/mines titanium downpipe...sard cat. and that midori hi power silent exhaust(titanium)..that is just for the info.

What i "want" is the similiar deep "silent" tone. I do not want those "3 inch" screamers which i can find all on YT.
So my Q. What type of custom exhaust should i go to have something similiar? Deep but nice and quiet sound?
Is it even possible on N/A engine?

For a 2L six making just over 130HP, all you will need is a 2.25"-2.5" steel system with a medium sized resonator in the middle and a large muffler in the rear. Going any larger will make it into a drony mess.

But.....getting a really nice tone out of it will likely require experimentation with different size (and possibly make) resonators and the same again with the muffler. I would take a first guess at a long hot dog or centre-offset muffler in the middle and maybe a large X-Force can at the rear.

• Like 1

The real challenge is, what does that car even sound like in person? Who knows. 

Its a video, its a very simple process to just go.... yeahh and another couple of db over the 0 to 40 hz range.... yep perfect. 

I don't know where you're located, but I'd advise to go to car meets with people that have the same car/engine as you. Have a listen to their setup and go from there. 

8 hours ago, PonieBoi said:

Not possible, the way the exhaust gases travel from a stock NA header as opposed to a turbo manifold and rear housing affect the sound massively. Might as well be a different engine.

Could argue it is indeed a different engine...

Thank you for the info guys :-) 
@GTSBoy: Yeah i know i need something smaller and with resonater and bigger muffler. "Funny" thing is that i like the "stock" sound...when the car is on idle and i stand at the back of the car the sound is "deep" and nice but it is too quite and inside you cant hear it at all let alone when you drive.
I will ask the guy at exhaust shop. He has done many exhaust but not on my car/this engine so no exp. there 😕 
EDIT: I have this HKS Hi Power muffler(34002-AK007) got it as a gift(it is not on the car)...in my case that is not gonna be good yeah? 

@Murray_Calavera: i know but in this purpose i just like the sound "from" the video. Maybe in real life i would not like it...but in my case i like "that" sound...something deep and quiet :-)
Sadly the second part is not an option in here. In my country they are very few Skyline and like 99% are GT-Ts. As far as i know iam the only one in the country who has this car with this engine(no wonder...who wants a Skyline from "2F2F" with 155Hp LOL)

I know i cant get that "same" sound...just want something deeper and quiet :-) 
I found one video on YT with the same engine and custom exhaust and it sounded nice...but sadly the video was deleted 😞 

Edited by Kapr

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys...a little update.
I came to this exhaust https://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/products/detail_product.cgi?rid=191
Problem is that it is for RB25DE NEO(i have RB20DE NEO).
I tried to ask like 3 shops...but they just...yeah man it is for RB25 we dont know if...

But is the exhaust on RB25 really that different? I try to find any information but no info about stock exhausts on these engines.

Other thing is sound/drone. I know that these N/A RB can drone if you put large exhaust and cannon ball rear muffler.
This exhaust has cannon bal but it has oval resonator too. I manage to find one video.

He says that cat is broken so a little rasp can be heard. I know it is video/quality etc but imho it sound way better than those 3 inch sreamers.

So does anyone know if i can fit this exhaust on RB20DE NEO...imo i dont know why the RB25DE NEO exhaust should be any different...but i dont really know 😄 

On 03/06/2010 at 1:36 AM, mad082 said:

you have an NA skyline. anything with a big outlet is going to make the car noisier and drone more. that one like you posted from ebay won't be that bad though as it is only the tips that are 3". where it passes through the muffler is still only 2.5" so it won't be that bad, but if the muffler has poor quality packing then it may still sound bad.

a full custom made 2.5" cat back exhaust with a good rear muffler and centre resonator should only set you back about $500 and will give a good note while not being too loud.

as for the cannon with the silencer, yes they cut down the drone, but they do also look stupid with the silencer in them. just get a good quality 2.5" oval muffler and then find a nice tip for it (and not one of those ones from supercheap, etc that are held on by a screw/clamp).

Or i can do this ...i think maybe this would be the best option for the sound and to ensure that exhaust will fit :) That Kakimoto is quite large 80-90mm ...
(sry cant edit anymore)

Edited by Kapr