SAU Community

Oil Temp Issue

I picked up my new to me r33 gtr the other day and have put about 200km on it so far. It has a remote oil filter setup with a fairly larger oil cooler hooked in with it. I dont see any sort of oil thermostat valve and its takes a good 25 minutes before the oil temp gauge even shows the needle at the lowest 70*C mark and never goes over about 75*C while driving, cruising at 100km/h it drops below the 70 mark. What would be the recommended thermostat temperate to get. I found one that will fit with my setup that came in 86*C or 102*C options, was thinking the 86*C would be the safe bet?

Edited by Josh222

It was about 33*C today and felt a bit over 40 with the humidity so I know I need a cooler atleast. Car might be okay though.

Edited by Josh222

You will definitely need a thermostat in a cooler climate unless it's track only car. Out of the two options the 86C sounds like the pick.

Something to keep in mind is that if you go with a thermostatic sandwich plate there is always some flow through the cooler, irrespective of thermostat rating. I spent a long time battling my Mocal one, even swapping the wax pellet, and it's still slow to warm up on cold days -> too much flow through the cooler. From what I understand the Greddy sandwich plate is a better design in this regard.

As a last resort, if your cooler is too eager even with a thermostat, what you can do is fab up a small plate to block the oil cooler during the colder seasons. That's what I've done.

Also others have said make sure you have a properly positioned, working temp gauge as the first step!

Some related reading: