SAU Community

Does Age Of A Tyre Matter

SRB

i have 2 sets of wheels, 17 and 18 inch. both have semi/street slicks on them with maybe 70% tread left. they havnt been used for say a year, there are no cracks or bits missing out of the tyres, they seem to be in good nick. they have been sitting around tho in a garage. i was jus wondering if age matters, will it affect how the tyre performs? also wat tyre pressures should be run in them for a/ street use b/ drag strip use c/ track/circuit use (from memory i think they are 255s all round)

thanks.

i have 2 sets of wheels, 17 and 18 inch. both have semi/street slicks on them with maybe 70% tread left. they havnt been used for say a year, there are no cracks or bits missing out of the tyres, they seem to be in good nick. they have been sitting around tho in a garage. i was jus wondering if age matters, will it affect how the tyre performs? also wat tyre pressures should be run in them for a/ street use b/ drag strip use c/ track/circuit use (from memory i think they are 255s all round)

thanks.

What mostly affects R compounds is the number of heat cycles they get put through. Tread face temps get up around 90 degrees on a circuit & the more times they go throught the heat up - cool down cycle the harder they get. BUT (there is always a but) they wear faster than they harden - so don;t worry too much unless you only do hill climbs.

Street - 32psi.

Drap - less don't know

Track - start at 32 & let them down from there. Aim for mid thirties hot. Best check it to run a pyrometer across the treadface after a run.