SAU Community

My First Skyline's guide to changing your oil and oil filter in an R33.

Sciby

Me saying thanks too! Just changed my oil and filter today and this thread certainly helped me do it without a fuss.

Oil: Martini 10W40 synthetic 5L $20.90 from :)

Filter: Valvoline z145a $7.67 from k-mart

Oil Change Pan: $6.49 from k-mart

J/Grip Oil wrench: $5.09 from k-mart ~ didnt end up using it

Total cost of job = $40.15c :)

Funny thing was the filter I pulled off [jap brand] was smaller than the z145a - weird, anything to be concenred about? I have assumed that the 34 uses the same as 33 so either the wrong one was on there OR the wrong one is NOW on there? HELP! Doesnt seem to be any leaks though.

Also, guys dont forget to record on paper your odometer kms and the date you changed the oil / filter ~ this will be valuable info for the next one - sounds obvious but its easy to forget. Valvoline filter box has a tear off card specifically for this.

Cheers.

I wouldn't be worried about the actual size of the filter, although I guess bigger would be better... as long as it fits the socket.

Good advice about the odometer information... I forgot to mention as I did mine right on the 100,000km mark, so I can just do it ever 5k kms... in fact, it's due right now. :)

I spoke to a guy from Nissan spare parts who confirmed the Z145a is ok for my car too :P It fits perfectly and doesnt seem to be any leaks since fitting yesterday.

I should also add the change pan I bought holds up to 8 litres and has a post to drain the filter plus room to hold some tools and the sump bolt ~ handy! Mine actually spat out 5 Litres of oil, perhaps it was overfilled or just a bit bigger than 33 capacity..

My sump bolt must have been fastened by Arnie Schwarzinator - damn it was tight!

• 1 month later...
Guest jamesr33

Hi Fellas,

Im just about to change my oil to mobil1 synthetic, i have only had the car (r33) for a couple of weeks and cant be sure what type of oil it is currently using. (synth i hope) but i will have to assume its not. ive heard some nasty stories obout leaving traces of the old non-synth oil in will cause it to crystallize.

My question is whats the best technique for making sure the old non-synth oil is completely flushed out....? i have some oil flushing addatives that you add to oil, run engine for 10 mins then flush out. is this enough..?

Well, you can change oil and filter, drive around for a week, with the flushing stuff, then change it again... or just keep pouring 5l of oil through the engine for 2 hours. :(

• 1 month later...
Guest RedLineGTR

i rekon just go to a autoparts place and ask for a copper washer..they might have different sizes i'm not sure. Or maybe head over to nissan, you probably wont need to the auto parts store should have one.

Well, it's not *hard*, but if you've never done it before, you'll need some assistance. It's not just a case of taking off the wheels, undoing some nuts and yanking them out.

some of you guys should be shot

1 DO NOT EVER AND I MEAN EVER OVERFILL YOUR CAR WITH OIL

your pistons dip in and the engine gets too compressed and blows all the seals

2 only use a synth or semi synth oil factory is 7.5/30 so a 10/40 will be perfect

3 only replace the sump plug if u really need to

4 you dont need to jack the car up :D

5 the r32 rb20det takes 4ltrs or 4.2ltrs with a new filter

6 always check ya fluid levels every week or 2 otherwise your engine is toast if something gos wrong

7 if u dont know what your doing and u hardly know how to do an oil change then get a workshop manual or TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC

8 when u get a new car change the oil ASAP because mechanics put in cheapo 20w50 valvoline xld mineral oil and it makes the car run like a pig (trust me)

9 change all fluids anyway because they either have never been changed or u dont know when they were changed last because with my car

as soon as i got it i changed oil/diff oil/coolant

and i will do the auto tranny fluid at 100thou as it sposedly NEVER needs changing and ill do the brake fluid soon

the oil ive used so far is

motor = 10w40 pennzoil semi synth and now 10-30 shell helix eco10

diff = castrol lsx90 (best mineral oil just change it every 20thou and its as good as a synth)

coolant = tecalloy gold

auto tranny = will be nissan d matic because all oil manufacturers state that to be used

brakes = some dot4/dot5 oil its all the same basicall shell/castrol/mobil

as i said at the start

some of u should be shot for neglecting your car like this!