SAU Community

My First Skyline's guide to changing your oil and oil filter in an R33.

Sciby

Originally posted by Xeron

While it is a good idea to let the engine sit for a while so the oil can run down, you still want the oil hot. Not goto hospital cause u got 3rd degree burns hot, but hot. This makes sure any shit in ur oiling system is still suspended in the oil and will come out when you drain it instead of settling on the bottom.

And i havent worked on a skyline personally, but can you drain all the oil from the sump with the front jacked, most cars u really should put the rear on stands aswell.

Good advice. As for jacking, the plug is to the back of the of the sump, so I'd say jacking at the front is the best idea.

Originally posted by surreal

Good job son!!

Will we get a gearbox episode?

Probably not. I got my oil changed a while ago... if someone wants to pm me with a massively easy way to do it, I'd do it and document it.

Originally posted by Ozzy

Mate...you're a gem....I've just done the job....piece of piss, but I didnt need to remove the plasitc tray....the sump was visible in mine ??

Thanks tons for the informative guide...very helpful.

Ozzy

same here! :D

Its a good idea to use a new sump washer. When you fill a skyline i ussually put just under 4L then run it just long enough to fill the filter, then leave it for a few mins and top up the oil until its the right level. If you just put 4.5L in first time it will ussually be over full from the left over oil in the sump. It doesnt matter how long you leave it there will be a bit of oil still in the engine. I use Mobil 1 0w40 workshop Grade. Its the best oil i have used so far. You can notice a slight difference between that and the Mobil 1 5w40, its hard to get though unless you work for a Work shop that uses it.

I have changes Gear Box oil in 2 r32's. You only need a Half inch Ratchet. There is one plug on the bottom and one on the side. The one on the bottom is to drain the gear box and the one on the side is to fill and set the level. Once the Oil is drained put the bottom plug on then if you havent already taken the side plug off. Now you will want to have some sort of hand pump to pump the oil from the bottle into the gear box. Once the oil starts spilling out the side plug as you are filling it, stop and leave it for 5 mins or until it stops dripping. This is the box draining until its level is correct. (just below the plug). Refit plug.

Now if u cant be bothered getting a hand pump (like i couldnt the first time i did it) the best way to fill it will be to take the Gear stick surround out and then take the stick out and fill the manual box though the top. With a funnel of course. It should take about 3.5 to 4L. I have used Catsrol VMX80 and the boxes have been smooth as silk. After you have filled it through the stick just remove the level Plug and let it drain till it stops again.

I havent yet done it on my R33 or an Auto. Cant be to different to any other Auto Box but.

Originally posted by Bleach1

Its a good idea to use a new sump washer. When you fill a skyline i ussually put just under 4L then run it just long enough to fill the filter, then leave it for a few mins and top up the oil until its the right level.  

Erm... that's what I did. :D Except for the washer bit. *shrug*

Sciby, i was just refering to something someone else said in the thread.

VMX80 is what castrol recommends for most high performance nissans from about 91 - 97. That is for normal driving conditions though. If you drive really hard maybe you would want to use something else.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys.....changed my oil......question...what happens when u put too much engine oil in?? cause i put 4L in first let it run and then toped it up but ended up toppin it up too much. whats the worst thing that could happen?? also can u get the sump washer from any local place cause discovered that mine was flattened (must have been an air wrench) so now it leaks abit at the sump. damn....should have read ur post earlier bleach.....hehe

The gearbox is easier! two plugs - one at bottom and one at drivers side top... bottom one drains, top one fills. I got a mate and used a hand pump to pump the oil in, lot easier then trying to run a hose through the engine bay! ;)

Cheers

Sumo

Out of interest, how do you check the gearbox oil level ?

Also ... how much oil is too much ?? Where on the dipstick should it be sitting after resting for a while ? Also can overfilling (not spilling out but you know what I mean, over the full mark on the stik) be bad ?

If oil is spilling out of the dipstick tube, you've used too much.

It's simple, don't use more than 4.5l and you'll be fine. Overfilling can be bad (pressure, so I've been told), but a little bit over won't kill anything. There's a low and a high mark on the dipstick, mine filled to about 9/10th between low and high. Anything above that high line is overfilled.

Stick to 4.5l and you'll be fine.

thanks.......yeah i poured in 4L at first and it was perfect after runnin in the car for a while......decided to top it up a lil under 4.5L cause wasnt sure of the first readin and its over the max level by about 3-5mm....my mistake.....hehe. should have takein into accoud residue oil in the engine. oh wells......pressure seems to be the same as what it was before i changed it which was is lil over 1/4mark. seems to be runnin ok so far so ill keep my fingers crossed till next oil change.

cheers:D

• 4 weeks later...

Got a couple of questions for you guys

- What do you do with the old oil (gearbox and engine). Do you stick it in a bottle and chuck it, or pour it in the neighbours garden, or what?

- Where can you get a hand-pump for changing the gearbox oil?

Guys, I have some urgent questions ... Don't know what to do.

I had my car recently serviced at 76,735 KM on the odometer. All fluids replaced etc, checked out the level of oil, all seemed well ...

Car is now sitting at 80,540 KM on the odometer (3 weeks after service, racked up a few KM), I checked the oil last night and all I could see was some very grubby oil on the bottom "knob" of the dipstick, eg like 5 mm representing .... doesn't even make it to the "high / low" measurement.

I wouldn't think 3805 km could eat oil like that .. I have no idea where it's gone, I'm not leaving oil when I park etc .....

I kinda shit myself and had 2.5 litres of Shell Helix sitting in the garage which was purchased only 6 weeks ago .... so I stuck it all in and let her run for about 5 mins.

Now usually my oil pressure guage reads at about 1 at idle and has been doing so even with what I assumed was a very low level of oil, however after topping her up I looked at my oil pressure guage which was reading about 4, then settling to 3.5 at idle ....

This seemed a little strange ... After letting her run for 5 mins I started hearing a "ticking" or "tapping" noise, decided immediately to turn her off and check the oil level ....

Checked it out, all of a sudden it's well over the high mark by about 4 mm .... It makes no sense.

Any ideas ?