SAU Community

Strange Gas Smell In Car

bigdave

Hi guys

I've just recently bought an r32 GTR and am absolutely loving the car.

There is only one small problem - every now and then when I am driving around (but predominantely when i'm cruising in the hills) the cabin of the car fills with a strong gas smell. I cant think of what could be causing it, except for possibly a leak in the air-con gas? Has anybody else had this problem or know what it could be that is causing it?

cheers

dave

In the hills eh? Could it be your clutch slipping ever so slightly? If it is, the smell will come right through the cabin via the gear-shift.

that sounds like it could be it coz every now and then when i put the boot in it slips when i change to second. Is it anything to worry about, or just general wear and tear that tells me it might be time to look for a new clutch?

Well.. definately time to start thinking of a new clutch!

The more it slips, the quicker it'll die completely. Well... to the point where you can't go over 3000rpm or generate any boost at all because it slips too much. I should know, I had that for a month before I changed the clutch.

You'll have to get the flywheel machined at the same time, cause it's prolly toasted, burred, and lipped.

If you take it easy and not slip it too much, it should hold up for quite some time... not so fun when you can't put your boot in though!

Glad to hear I may have helped. Good luck!

A quick and simple test is to try to drive off in 3rd gear. You will soon find out if the clutch is slipping. My question though is what type of smell is it. Have you ever been on a train and get that pugnet smell? if so that its brakes and the clutch smells almost the same. It can't be the the air con because if it was leaking the smell would be long gone.

Randy's right if it is the clutch it will only get worse and not far into the future. Get it looked at soon,,,not every flywheel needs machining because of a slightly slipping clutch,,,mine didn't.

Neil.

Fair enough. I suggested machining the flywheel as a "best practise" measure, as you would with brake rotors after a few pad changes... might aswell?

cheers for the help guys.

Cant say i've noticed the pungent smell on trains....besides the one coming off half the passengers....

It is quite a strong gas smell like natural gas, say if you've left an element on your stove on for too long with out lightling it.

Got any tips on good clutches? It has a haevy duty puck clutch at the mo, but i think i'll probly put a double plate in, heard they're a bit more durable.

Does your car still have the Charcoal Canister in it?

If it doesnt you way find that on the end of the fuel tank breather line(which runs into the bottom of the charcoal canister) may be open free to air or have some kind of breather on the end of it. Have seen this on a couple of R32's GTR's and GTST's...

Just a thought anyway...