SAU Community

How Many Skylines Are Daily Drivers?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our GTR R33 VSpec was our daily drive (we clocked up 130000k's) doing the shopping etc.I'm retired.

Our current R34 Vspec is now our daily drive (it's the only car we have). It's fitted with two immobilisers,fuel cut off switch and if parking off the street a bull lock that fits over brake and clutch pedal.

Touch wood haven't had any dings. Most people generally give the car a wide birth when they park. I call it respect. I don't kid myself though. I know of a good spray painter in our area. Haven't used him yet

I'm a bit more particular where I park the 34. Preferably on the street where there is plenty of people around.

post-25792-1137221334.jpg

i daily drive my R32 GTS-t M during the summer but she's parked for the winter and i'm at the mercy of the g/f's protege or Audi A4 1.8T quattro. Parked the skyline on October 28, she'll probably come out around mid-april... we have short summers here in the great white north. But during that time, i drive about 600km/week.

My R33 GTR is not only a daily driver,it's my rep car.I do about 150-200km every day in it,then when I get home I run the kids around in it.I'm in the car for up to 6 hours a day.

They love being picked up from school in a 350rwkw GTR.

Before that I was using my 250rwkw S15.I did 185,000km in 4 years in that car.I only drive it about once a week now.

Doesnt make much sense owning a nice car and not driving it everyday.I've been doing that for 25 years now,never owned a shitter to drive while my GT/Challenger/Chevelle/GTR sat in the shed.

Our GTR R33 VSpec was our daily drive (we clocked up 130000k's) doing the  shopping etc.I'm retired.

Our current R34 Vspec is now our daily drive (it's the only car we have). It's fitted with two immobilisers,fuel cut off switch and if parking off the street a bull lock that fits over brake and clutch pedal.

Touch wood haven't had any dings. Most people generally give the car a wide birth when they park. I call it respect.  I don't kid myself though. I know of a good spray painter in our area. Haven't used him yet

I'm a bit more particular where I park the 34. Preferably on the street where there is plenty of people around.

blood,sweat and tears all for my 33 GTR  damn straight i'm gonna drive it everyday.

maybe becoz i cant afford these cars but to me these are awesome / expensive cars. how can you rack up so many K's in them and not worry about there health? or will you rebuild them or sell them when they die? coz i get worried about my daily shitter racking up so many K's. i do about 100k's a day. i know when i get my "weekend" car (skyline or supra) sometime this year i would feel so bad racking up so many K's. i proberly wouldnt want to rack up more then 20,000k's a year... on it.

i know some say, you bought it to drive till it dies or whatever. but i would have so much respect and know i worked hard and waited for the car that i wouldnt want to rack up the K's.... but then again thats what i said about my shitter and i only check the K's once a week.. haha

maybe becoz i cant afford these cars but to me these are awesome / expensive cars. how can you rack up so many K's in them and not worry about there health? or will you rebuild them or sell them when they die? coz i get worried about my daily shitter racking up so many K's. i do about 100k's a day. i know when i get my "weekend" car (skyline or supra) sometime this year i would feel so bad racking up so many K's. i proberly wouldnt want to rack up more then 20,000k's a year... on it.

i know some say, you bought it to drive till it dies or whatever. but i would have so much respect and know i worked hard and waited for the car that i wouldnt want to rack up the K's.... but then again thats what i said about my shitter and i only check the K's once a week.. haha

at the end of the day its a skyline, its not some uber mega rare museum piece. They're meant to be driven, and they're engineered to be regular road going cars. You don't have to worry about its health if you maintain them well and service them regularly. I did about 120km/day in my old line and when I sold it, it ran as well as it did when I got it. If you can't afford the upkeep, you shouldn't have bought the car in the first place, but if you can afford it, then drive it till the wheels fall off, which if done right, will never happen.

at the end of the day its a skyline, its not some uber mega rare museum piece. They're meant to be driven, and they're engineered to be regular road going cars. You don't have to worry about its health if you maintain them well and service them regularly. I did about 120km/day in my old line and when I sold it, it ran as well as it did when I got it. If you can't afford the upkeep, you shouldn't have bought the car in the first place, but if you can afford it, then drive it till the wheels fall off, which if done right, will never happen.

I believe the best thing for them is to be driven regularly and serviced regularly.

I do oil and filter every 5,000 kms. Changed all the belts and water pump 80,000 kms after it was done last time.

She has even done nearly 60 runs down the quarter at WSID on the SAU drag days.

El Bee

It's a car.. designed to be driven daily, so drive it daily.

If you can't afford to drive it daily / scared to... maybe you shouldn't own it?

Best thing about my r32, it's a bit rough around the edges in places, but drives smoothly, got a fair bit of power now, and I can park it anywhere and it doesn't really raise too much attention. And if I blow something up, I'll just replace it, as nothing is too much more expensive than any other car really -- just can be sometimes a bit harder to track down.

And if i get a scratch or small dent, its 'oh well, thats just another reason for that respray in a year or two', which would make it like new again.

To me, that's the way it should be..

Mines a daily driver.

If i wanna conserve fuel i drive like a fairy and get around 12L/100km...  which is almost as good as my mums toyota corrola...

Daily driver with the power when its needed, cant do better then that.

hey man, :)

12L/100km is dirt good. How do u drive like a fairy? I mean, like at what RPM to you swap gears? I drop mine at 2000rpm and it takes 15L->100km.

Very interesting.Please share:)

Im a salez man and most people who no nothen about liners think they are all gtrs and the cost a fortune so the little bunky is good cause people do think you make much money tall popy sindrome people dont like seeing young people being sucsessful unless its there kids

i love to drive it daly

james

hey man, :P

12L/100km is dirt good. How do u drive like a fairy? I mean, like at what RPM to you swap gears? I drop mine at 2000rpm and it takes 15L->100km.

Very interesting.Please share:)

Hey mate

Yes it appears my line is running really sweet at the moment because 12L/100KM in a performance car is pretty amazing, in my eyes anyways.

Basically i change gears at around 3000RPM and constantly watch the vac/boost gauge. Keeping it as far from boost is what i aim to do - im usually not in rush to get places so its not hard to keep out of boost.

The cars been running like this since i bought it. I havent talked to the previous owner about what he has done but im thinking he may have replaced the O2 sensor and Air flow metre at some point before i purchased it. I'll never know.

The actuator rod fell off my S15 and I drove around for a week with no turbo/boost.Fuel economy was worse by 30km per tank.Whats this crap about keeping it off boost.I get 500km per 50 litres in my 250rwkw S15 and I only got 470km twice with no turbo!!!!

Skyline daily driver here too but would rather not.

Used to have a 86 Automatic Ford Meteor in 6 different shades of red, worst window tinting on the planet etc etc and people would actually avoid coming anywhere near it in traffic and would park anywhere but next to it :P

You should get better than 12L/100km if you really are feathering the throttle.

I get about 10.5L/100km if I drive like a grandma. Depends on the cycle. Heavy city driving yes 12 seems about right.

Remember its only when you come on to boost that they should consume more than a N/A car of the same weight/engine size.

My R33 is a daily driver. I find even 10-12L/100km quite costly drinking premium - compared to my SX 1.6 corolla - thashing that would give about 7.5L/100km on regular.

Im going to get a PFC tune to hopefully help the fuel consumption. I like the R33 though..plus there are a few minor blemishes which makes me less worried about it :P

Basically i change gears at around 3000RPM and constantly watch the vac/boost gauge. Keeping it as far from boost is what i aim to do - im usually not in rush to get places so its not hard to keep out of boost.

lol.. sounds like boring :P I redline mine fairly regularly from stand-still, and just drive it as I like to, and i get around 11-14L/100km. I'm running an RB25 turbo on my RB20 with 16psi of boost too.

Amazing really when you think thats really only the same as any other 6cylinder out there, and of course the skyline has a fair bit more power and fun. I think people are all too used to 4cylinders now.