SAU Community

R32 Gtr Front Diff

hey guys

i've finally got the 32r back together and running.. the only problem is that when a mate had the sump draining (upside down off the motor) he didn't realise we hadn't drained the front diff oil and is spilled onto the ground.. the filling bung is stuck solid and we broke 2 breaker/knuckle bars trying to remove it to fill the diff.. :D

my question is can i drive it at 110km/h (which i need to to get it back home) with removing the 4WD fuse so it'll just be spinning with no load?

p.s the guy who accidently drained it out is a qualified mechanic (very good - 20yrs experience) and he says it'll be fine if i drive it smoothly not thrashing it... just want a 2nd opinion... any help would be great :)

Edited by dan_32gtr

Hey,

Sorry but my post isn't actually helping you. I was just wondering if the front diff gets fluid from the reserviour in the boot (attessa / hicas reserviour), or if it has another one somewhere. I have been having some problems with my 4wd system in my r32 gtr but didn't even think to check the front diff....

Hey,

Sorry but my post isn't actually helping you. I was just wondering if the front diff gets fluid from the reserviour in the boot (attessa / hicas reserviour), or if it has another one somewhere. I have been having some problems with my 4wd system in my r32 gtr but didn't even think to check the front diff....

Front diff (like the back one) is not connected to the ATTESSA reservoir. It doesn't have one at all. If you are hacing probs with the 4WD system check the error codes on the module under the parcel shelf.

Edited by djr81

hey guys

i've finally got the 32r back together and running.. the only problem is that when a mate had the sump draining (upside down off the motor) he didn't realise we hadn't drained the front diff oil and is spilled onto the ground.. the filling bung is stuck solid and we broke 2 breaker/knuckle bars trying to remove it to fill the diff.. :P

my question is can i drive it at 110km/h (which i need to to get it back home) with removing the 4WD fuse so it'll just be spinning with no load?

p.s the guy who accidently drained it out is a qualified mechanic (very good - 20yrs experience) and he says it'll be fine if i drive it smoothly not thrashing it... just want a 2nd opinion... any help would be great  :D

Even though it is not transmitting power, the diff is still going round. So if there is no oil in it, there is still a large likelihood of it going bang.

Front diff (like the back one) is not connected to the ATTESSA reservoir.  It doesn't have one at all.  If you are hacing probs with the 4WD system check the error codes on the module under the parcel shelf.

Yeah I found that, the problem is I don't have a manual (to refer it to). I'm going to try and hook it up to a workshop's computer tomorrow and try to find out what it is. All it is, is a little red light flashing (the computer under the parcel shelf) when the 4wd light is illuminated on the dash....Hopefully i'll be able to make some sense of it soon haha.

Edit: So is the diff just something you leave alone and never check / refresh the oil in? Sorry but my mechanical knowledge is fairly limited at this stage. Still got alot to learn :P

Edited by randominsanity73

Dan,

This may be a bit of a long(ish) shot, but from memory the front diff has a breather attached. I think (From memory, again) that the end of the breather pipe bolts up to the underside of the induction manifold. If you can find this & trace it, it may be possible to get some fluid into the diff via the breather.

Just a thought.

Richard

Isn't the diff alot like the gearbox in its oil requirements?

very thin oil (with particular properties - of which I have no idea)

very level sensitive (too little and too much is bad)

but doesn't tend to leak, and can be left for a long time?

I'd say find the correct level (and oil), and fix it.

Sure, it *might* be fine. Do you want to find out for real?

And the diff is not connected directly to attessa. Its driven by the driveshaft, which does not spin (and hence provides no torque) till attessa engages it.

"Doom, Doom and gloom, I say"

Does the diff have ANY oil in it? If it has, then I wouldn't see a problem. But I still wouldn't be caning it, even at 110 (maybe 80).

The diff will be going roundy-roundy, because the front wheels will be driving it.

Oil is a standard 80w90 Gear Oil (like Castrol Hypoy 90).

it not somethimg to risk //// just put new oil in it to the level!!! why would you even try this ? a 30 dollar bottle of oil Vs fixing a diff a heat beated diff...hmmm hard decision ! not