SAU Community

First ever Service. To do it or not

EnricoPalazzo

Hey,

My car is due to arrive within a month hopefully : ) and im gettin everything organised prior so that im not in a rush wen it actually gets here. Now wen all the compliance work is done, do they do a general service with hi performance gear, like synthetic oils etc, or does it pay to get a full service once the car is on the road. Im contemplating doin the basic things myself

eng oil

oil filter

fuel filter

coolant

air cleaner

spark plugs

But im thinking that the workshop may see somethingt that I wouldnt, such as belts that need to be changed etc.

So im not sure what to do. Do i do the basic service myself, then take it to the worshop to get timing tuned on a dyno and anything else, or just get the whole lot done at the worshop and pay alot.

Thanks

Dean

I would *always* give the car a full service when you first get it. It may well have been done the day before with high performance stuff, but it could have just as easily been done with cheap crap (likely) or not done at all.

I would do the basic stuff yourself (filters, oil, coolant etc) and take it to someone who knows their stuff for a thorough check over (pressure test, compression testing, etc). Don't forget though that you can put the computer into diagnostics mode to see if it's picked up any problems. Look elsewhere on these forums for how to do this.

I'd do all the basic stuff yourself and then take it to get tuned at a place that knows their Skyline stuff. You'll save $100's.

A lot of checks can be done without complicated tools..

check play in the belts

take wheels off and check brake pad wear

rotate wheels

From my experience that is all a service place will do anyway, and then a month later when something goes wrong (that they didn't spot) you're no better off.

Enrico,

you will find that "compliance " requires that all fluids be replaced. A fuel filter will be installed, oil, coolant, breaklines, and pads (only..if they are pretty much worn out)

plus a whole heap of other ADR Compliant stuff.

My point is WHY you feel the need to change oil etc AGAIN after compliance...

it might not be High Performance material, but if'it's done, why change it.

You may as well enjoy the car for 5000k's then put in the Hi performance oil and stuff.

i agreee with predator check disc's and pads.... tyre's should be BRAND NEW after compliance.....

Am unsure about a tune, if the car is stock form, the computer will be mapped for stock set up, as i have read the stock computers are not updatable....

i could be wrong on the tune front though....

Rule of thumb.... unless your going to be flogging the living Shait out of it, most good oils/parts should be fine....

Loz

Originally posted by Lozza150

Enrico,  

you will find that "compliance " requires that all fluids be replaced.  A fuel filter will be installed, oil, coolant, breaklines, and pads (only..if they are pretty much worn out)  

plus a whole heap of other ADR Compliant stuff.

My point is WHY you feel the need to change oil etc AGAIN after compliance...

it might not be High Performance material, but if'it's done, why change it.

You may as well enjoy the car for 5000k's then put in the Hi performance oil and stuff.

i agreee with predator check disc's and pads.... tyre's should be BRAND NEW after compliance.....

Am unsure about a tune, if the car is stock form, the computer will be mapped for stock set up, as i have read the stock computers are not updatable....

i could be wrong on the tune front though....

Rule of thumb.... unless your going to be flogging the living Shait out of it, most good oils/parts should be fine....

Loz

Ahmmm * cough * Bull**it *cough*

Cheers

Ken

yes most places replace oil with non synthetic oil i recomend replacing oil , oil filter, plugs, check fuel filter is new , cam belt , radiator coolant , check brake fluid is green , also replace all gearbox and diff with hi quality oil , also check condition of all radiator hoses inc ones under the plenum that feed the turbo

this will give you trouble free motoring

Car is not stock, and i wanna get the timing adjusted if possible to suit our crappy fuel. Hmmm I think ill just change the engine oil and filter myself, flush coolant? and change gearbox fluid.

Daim, I dunno wat to do. Ive allocated 450 for the service, so 1 thing i know is ill save a bit doin it myself. Hmmm wat to do.

I agree with loza 150, obviously it's ok for rich people like you (ken)who's mum's stay out on the corner all night, make big bucks and will give you money for 3 gtr's and

changing oil (Im guessin she's pretty good huh??), but for us guys who WORK to get our cars (and don't have mum's pimpin it up), the oil that's put in is fine!

if you want to be cheap then your risking damaging your car.

An oil change with fully synthetic is well under $100. If you cant afford that, then you probably cant really afford to run a skyline. In the end its your choice... but dont cry if you **** your engine becuase it was running lean from japan and you didnt get it serviced/tuned etc.

Originally posted by jsky

I agree with loza 150, obviously it's ok for rich people like you (ken)who's mum's stay out on the corner all night, make big bucks and will give you money for 3 gtr's and

changing oil (Im guessin she's pretty good huh??), but for us guys who WORK to get our cars (and don't have mum's pimpin it up), the oil that's put in is fine!

Originally posted by Lozza150

it just goes to show ken, that you obvioulsy have NO IDEA what goes on...  

For a guy that owns all those car's you'd think you 'd know better....

Ohh quite the contrary , I have a very good idea what goes on and if you think that all compliancers change the oil , filter , brake fluid etc then you are prolly living in that mythical dreamworld.

I am not saying that ALL compliancers don't but I would assume nothing and do it all yourself.

A compliancer is here to make money and do you really think he is going to put the top quality synthetics , filters etc that any person who wants to baby there line will use.

Also I am actually 45 yrs old and have worked damn hard for many years to achieve what I have .

And if you want my 78 yr old mum there you are one sick puppy:D

You might not know me but I can assure you the guys in W Aust do and I think I know who they will believe.

Cheers

Ken

oils is oils , you have been watching too many Castrol GTX adds.

Fuels is fuels and it's designed for one purpose as well but I wouldn't be putting std unleaded in my GTR.

I have seen vehicles signed off before the work is even done so don't take that as gospel.

As I said ( and to get back on thread ) assume nothing and do it yourself.

I agree with Dave , oil is relatively cheap insurance and as Enrico said , he has allowed $450 so that should cover the basics with quality gear.

Cheers

Ken

Your right , no ones listening so don't waste your time

you know though loz, I acyually do have to agree with them, I can pretty

> much guarantee that the oil they put in your car would have bin a

> manufacturers oil which is normally what they sell to caryards, and

> normally

> for new cars, so more than likely it is very thin and not too crash hot.

> but

> I recommend that you change it after 3000 it's still ok it jst means that

> it

> is needing to be changed alot earlier, I've found a good chaper oil is

> penzoil, they make oil specifically for turbo's so maybe look at that, but

> I

> do have to say that more than likely the oil in your car is a cheap(which

> normally means thin) oil and probably shouldn't be driven on for 5,000. I

> remember my cousin and steve ( the guy I bought from) both said that to

> me.

Yea truce but when you come on a forum , get a feel of who's who before you start casting comments around.

I agree my bull**it posting was a tard harsh but it was not directed at you personally , more at the info you are passing on which is not necessarily correct.

If you reckon what i posted was bad , don't ask jsky about the PM he got.

First post and he starts flaming .

Cheers

Ken

W Aust rego checks are on the whole fairly liberal.

But don't tell me the NSW RTA knows whether the diff and engine oil , filters have been changed or if they really care ?

Cheers

Ken

Hey Dude, sorry it was an honest mistake, I thought you were one of my mates who is also named ken and from w.a with a gtr it was just a joke aimed at him, obviously that is not his nic. so I will say I'm sorry and it wasn't aimed at you at all, no hard feelings??? I will also post this on the forum so everyoneelse who reads the post will know. sincere apologies.

hehhe, owned by our "young" friend Ken huh? You show'em Ken.

anyways, I'm about to do my first service (read: 11,000kms) with new engine oil, diff oil, and the 2nd batch of gearbox oil. plugs, filters, the lot. may even play with the timing :D

looking at mobil Synth in either 10w-60, or 5w-30, castrol VMX80 shockproof g/box oil....I'm doing it all myself, I don't like paying someone for thier time for something i can do myself and have fun doing!

_Kym.

yeh, never trust what the compliancers sign off. Not to say they havent done it, but on my 2 cars that were complied, they were signed off before the tires had been changed. Now this isn't huge, but the engineer has signed this off when it wasnt actually correct.

Maybe the best thing to do would be baby it for the 1st 1000kms, then change engine oil, filter and gbox oil... and check spark plugs , belts etc.

Some ppl also change thier cam belt right away as u never know what the cars been through in japan. I think the cam belt will cost about $100 + $200 in labour.

dave