SAU Community

Importing A Car Question

lows_13

Hey,

Just got a quick question for those who have had some experience in this area before. If a car is imported from Japan to Australia, and it lands at the docks, the car is removed from its container and customs detect that the FR12 refrigerant is still in the aircon system what happens next?

What will customs do under the EPA rules?

Are there different rules for companies importing cars and personal imports?

Hey,

Just got a quick question for those who have had some experience in this area before. If a car is imported from Japan to Australia, and it lands at the docks, the car is removed from its container and customs detect that the FR12 refrigerant is still in the aircon system what happens next?

Yes, there are different rules for personal/one-off imports and cars imported by a company or agent.

Basically, if you are bringing in no more than 1 car yourself within a 12 month period, you can sign a handwritten declaration saying that you won't import more than one car for 12 months thereafter (so they know you're not running a business) and in that case - YOU DON'T NEED TO DEGASS THE CAR.

If an import agent is applying for multiple import approvals, then all cars need to be degassed... hence the $100 degassing fee Prestige and J-Spec charge on all their cars. You can't avoid that one.

If an import agent is applying for multiple import approvals, then all cars need to be degassed... hence the $100 degassing fee Prestige and J-Spec charge on all their cars. You can't avoid that one.

You most certainly can avoid that one if you or your RAWS has a license to import pre-charged equipment. Many do, check with your RAWS. Supply a copy of that license to your customs broker.

Rezzeh, gotta correct you on that one.

By law its illegal to import a car with R12 gas in it.

You CAN import a car with R134a in it, providing you, or the RAWS workshop compliancing the car has a permit to handle precharged airconditioning units.

You CAN however sign a declaration that you were unaware of this law, and get away with it once... ever. Its not a one per year rule. Its basically a form that say "ah crap, I didn't know... sorry, it won't happen again".

The applicability is not dependant on who applies for the import approval, but moreso who deals with customs. Most of the time this is us, not the customer, hence why we usually have it degassed in Japan.

Straight from the DEH... Vijay

If the vehicle is a one-off import for your personal use and that it is not for trade or commerce, you will not require a licence under the Department of the Environment and Heritage’s Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Act 1989.

Please note, you will only be permitted to import one vehicle for the current licensing period effective from 1 January 2006 until 31st December 2007.

You will need to provide to your Customs Broker with a declaration outlining that the vehicle is a one-off import that is for personal use and is not for trade or commerce and that you will not be importing any other vehicles into Australia during the 2006-2007 licencing period.

*Vehicles in the above circumstances can contain HFCs, HCFCs, or CFCs and will not require degassing/retrofitting prior to coming into Australia.

Your customs broker will need to provide this information to the Department and or Australian Customs Service who will contact the DEH for verification and clearance.

yep, vijay is on the money, i have done it this way myself. a joe citizen can import 1 car, per licensing period (1 year) that is still charged with R12, providing you send off for the exemption from the DEH.

• 2 weeks later...

cool. it's possible they are just spinning a line as i dont know anyone who would be silly enough to do that. such a waste of time and money. or like you say perhaps they just dont have a clue.

They were denied approval, and where given two options.

1. Crushed all of the cars

2. Or send to Japan or NZ to get de-gassed and send back to Oz again.

(NZ is closer so i guess it would be far cheaper to send it there)

Edited by lows_13

Hey,

Customs will not clear the car for delivery until either a Pre-Charged Equipment Licence number is quoted on the Customs Entry or in some instances an exemption number is given by DEH.

Pre-Charged licences and exemptions will only cover HFC or HCFC (R134).

It does not cover R12 which remains a prohibited import and must be discharged prior to shipment.

Importers/brokers should always make arrangements to have R12 gas released prior to export from country of origin, it is a simple process and a discharge certificate (either translated or in English) needs to be supplied from the licenced Gas Discharge Station in Japan as documented proof for Australian Customs.

Beside the inconvenience of having to wait another month for your car, I hope you are not getting charged for the shipping costs to/from New Zealand, as this really is an issue the broker should have organised for you in Japan prior to export as a part of the service.

Cheers

Jo

They were denied approval, and where given two options.

1. Crushed all of the cars

2. Or send to Japan or NZ to get de-gassed and send back to Oz again.

(NZ is closer so i guess it would be far cheaper to send it there)

It seems the broker is unsure of the rulings regarding R12 so I recommend you make sure they are aware that in addition to the gas being discharged, both the receiver accumulator and the recharge ports must also be removed.

Cheers

Jo

Sending it to NZ would be far quicker than sending it back to Japan i guess.

'both the receiver accumulator and the recharge ports must also be removed'

These are located on the car i assume?

Edited by lows_13

Pre-Charged licences and exemptions will only cover HFC or HCFC (R134).

It does not cover R12 which remains a prohibited import and must be discharged prior to shipment.

having imported a number of cars my self i can tell you i have been granted expemtions to import cars pre charged with R12. yes that's right. R12. i'm not sure if you can get a licence to import equipment containing R12 (i think you cant), but you can get 1 off exemptions for R12. 1 per licencing period.