SAU Community

R32 Gtst Gearbox Conversion, To R33 Manual

blur

lol i spent 50 bucks all up on the navara hybrid and IMO it works perfect and should last the distance, you just need to do some basic engineering, i also drilled a hole in the base of the cog and put a roll pin through it, cost nothing and ensures that it will never fall off. Didnt you buy the navara drive also Ryan? just give it to me along with the 33 cog and i'll make it up for you at my work man.

Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wont work as the R32 unit is shorter, and the body of the sender is smaller so wont fit in the hole.

lwboosted: mate i measured both the 33 and the navara drivees with a set of vernier calipers and they are dead center

ok then i dont care if u dont believe me.. it happened to me that why i am saying this.. all i am doing is trying to stop what happened to me.. now i cant find another r33 cog..

but yeah this is definatly the best way to fix your speedo and will only cost you $40 providing you do EVERYTHING you have to do!!..

-get the navara speedo drive.

-put the r33 20 tooth cog on the end

-cut a new slot 180 degrees to where the location slot is then use that slot to locate it..

then you will have a working speedo... provided you do eveything you are suposed to do and the cog doesnt fall off...

just want to add.. you can use a gtr cog.. i dont know how many teet they have though.. the groves are cut in the opposite direction but you just cut the bottom of the cog off and put it on upside down, then it is cut the same way as the r33 cog... just make sure it sits at the top of the drive..

Edited by lwboosted

Ok so i was a bit wasted last night, heres the real info i have :(

2. I used a standard R32GTST speedo cable, the one the car always had

3. I used the inner half of the R33GTST speedo drive (the bit that goes in the gearbox) with the external part of the R32GTST speedo drive (the bit that connects to the speedo cable). They fit together perfectly.

ok then i dont care if u dont believe me.. it happened to me that why i am saying this.. all i am doing is trying to stop what happened to me.. now i cant find another r33 cog..

but yeah this is definatly the best way to fix your speedo and will only cost you $40 providing you do EVERYTHING you have to do!!..

-get the navara speedo drive.

-put the r33 20 tooth cog on the end

-cut a new slot 180 degrees to where the location slot is then use that slot to locate it..

then you will have a working speedo... provided you do eveything you are suposed to do and the cog doesnt fall off...

just want to add.. you can use a gtr cog.. i dont know how many teet they have though.. the groves are cut in the opposite direction but you just cut the bottom of the cog off and put it on upside down, then it is cut the same way as the r33 cog... just make sure it sits at the top of the drive..

If you turn the gtr cog around it will still be cut the opposite way.

Think of it this way, if you turn a left hand thread around it is still a left hand thread, same thing.

However you are dead right about the shaft being off centre in the speedodrive body.

I don't know what Simon was measuring with his verniers but all the speedodrives have the same offset and the body is rotated to move the cog axis closer or further away, from the driving gear, to compensate for different size cogs.

If you change the cog you need to recut a new slot to locate the speedodrive in the gearbox.

If you don't do this the gears will run too tight or too loose and will fail sooner or later.

Damn, I am about to try and get the speedo on mine working but going through this thread again its doing my head in.

I also recall someone else in another thread saying the navara drive needs to be rotated as it comes with a cog with less teeth, hence smaller diameter, meaning it would need to sit closer. So putting a larger diameter cog would obviously be pushing up too hard.

But someone mentioned a navara drive with 21 teeth so maybe this particular drive has a shaft in a similar if not identical position?

Simon, can you verify the part number of the navara drive you purchased?

I was about to order a 32 GTR pinion assembly and rip off the cog and put the 33 one on by drilling out the half moon to a full circle and aralditing the sucker on but now I am not sure.

Seems I can save a few bucks using the navara unit.

Also someone said they cut down a GTR assembly by 5mm? What adverse effect would be seen by not cutting it down?

A couple of people mentioned a washer? and an M6 bolt? I thought I swapped cogs and dropped it in and job done....but I have not actually pulled the 33 one out yet so it might be more obvious when I look at it.

For something that seems quite simple, all the differing opinions make it confusing.

Damn, I am about to try and get the speedo on mine working but going through this thread again its doing my head in.

I also recall someone else in another thread saying the navara drive needs to be rotated as it comes with a cog with less teeth, hence smaller diameter, meaning it would need to sit closer. So putting a larger diameter cog would obviously be pushing up too hard.

But someone mentioned a navara drive with 21 teeth so maybe this particular drive has a shaft in a similar if not identical position?

Simon, can you verify the part number of the navara drive you purchased?

I was about to order a 32 GTR pinion assembly and rip off the cog and put the 33 one on by drilling out the half moon to a full circle and aralditing the sucker on but now I am not sure.

Seems I can save a few bucks using the navara unit.

Also someone said they cut down a GTR assembly by 5mm? What adverse effect would be seen by not cutting it down?

A couple of people mentioned a washer? and an M6 bolt? I thought I swapped cogs and dropped it in and job done....but I have not actually pulled the 33 one out yet so it might be more obvious when I look at it.

For something that seems quite simple, all the differing opinions make it confusing.

That was me that was talking about rotating the assembly.

Don't use the gtr speedodrive, apart from the cost, the shaft is too short to support the gear properly.

The part no. of the navara/vl turbo speedodrive is 32702-02G17.

It costs about $25

I asked nissan 18 months ago if there was a 32702-02G21 but they said as far as they could tell it didn't exist.

Neo32 Claims to have found a 21 tooth gear the hard way but has said recently that it is no longer available and as far as I can find has never quoted the part no.

The r33 cog is your cheapest option as you should already have one.

Don't drill out the half round hole. The drill will push off and elongate the hole.

I did mine carefully with a sharp round file.

I did this 18 months ago, the r33 cog is a firm push on fit onto the splines, no glue and never a problem.

Have a look at my original post.

It's the last post.

I hope this helps.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...edodrive+rotate

PS Don't forget to recut the slot on the opposite side.

i cant understand why everyone is filing out the half moon in the 33 cog... why not take advantage of it and leave it there and grind a half moon on the navara spline, which is what i did, along with drilling the base and inserting a roll pin so it doesnt come off. negates the need for glue at all.

Because thats the way nissan do it, and it's the easier method. The navara drive uses an interference fit with glue, as does the rb26 drive. The 25 is a bit of an oddball with the flat and circlip on the end (though it does work out well for people who want to swap gears as it comes off easily).

Interesting info from 2630gts too. nice work mate.

Because thats the way nissan do it, and it's the easier method. The navara drive uses an interference fit with glue, as does the rb26 drive. The 25 is a bit of an oddball with the flat and circlip on the end (though it does work out well for people who want to swap gears as it comes off easily).

Interesting info from 2630gts too. nice work mate.

Thanks man, i got the info from SK so i dont know why everyone is ignoring me whilst having the f*karound of their lives, with cogs falling off and spending all this money on shit they probably dont need.

I have all the parts for this conversion on my 32 that ill be doing when i can find some time. maybe ill eat my words but i hope not :)

• 1 month later...

32702-02G21 this is the part number and yes they have been discontinued

my contact mark at cleaveland nissan

quote him the part and he can give u a price cause he sold me one

but i ordered another waited 7 weeks and it never came

so my 32 is working great 100% right on the speed

• 1 month later...

To bring back an old thread....

If you remove the roll pin so the shaft slides out of the assembly; are they interchangeable between the Navara and R33 assembly's?

I assume some one would have had a look?!? :S

Would definitely make life easy. If it were possible then using a GTR sender and shoving the r33 shaft in to it would work well as the locating lug is already positioned for the 20tooth 4.1 cog.

Which is similar as to what 2630GTS has stated

Ok so i was a bit wasted last night, heres the real info i have ;)

2. I used a standard R32GTST speedo cable, the one the car always had

3. I used the inner half of the R33GTST speedo drive (the bit that goes in the gearbox) with the external part of the R32GTST speedo drive (the bit that connects to the speedo cable). They fit together perfectly.

If not I will be doing as Simon has done; grind a half moon in to the shaft and then with a dremel fine cutting wheel, cut a slight groove in to the end so that I can use the circlip.

And finally.. Cut a locating groove on the opposite side so that it locates the gear at the correct height so I don't get any gears wearing or cracking. :)

• 7 months later...

I have done this conversion but I am not sure if I have done it properly.

I have a R32 with the R33 motor and box.

I bought the R33 cog and the Navara speedo and put the cog onto the navara center drive and then put it into the R32 speedo sender housing.

I got 99.8klms out of it before it stopped working. Any ideas, was I surpose to leave it in the Navara speedo sender body and not change it over into the R32 speedo sender body?????

At least it worked for a bit.

Simply grab a $45 navara drive, swap the rb25 cog in to it; cut a groove out of the body exactly 180degree's and whack it in.

The r32 sender body will have the incorrect positioning; it will wear the cog poorly and eventually break it.

• 6 months later...
Simply grab a $45 navara drive, swap the rb25 cog in to it; cut a groove out of the body exactly 180degree's and whack it in.

The r32 sender body will have the incorrect positioning; it will wear the cog poorly and eventually break it.

Rang up Nissan with the part number thats been posted around in this topic, they said it didn't reference to anything they wanted to know what year Navara they came from, also reading alot about these being discontinued or no longer available, would love to know if there was a drop in solution, can't seem to find a definitive answer. I am located in melbourne, anyone bought one of these from a nissan dealership lately, if so would love to know where i can get one. Sorry for asking the same question if its been posted before.

• 2 years later...

quick question however it still appears u need to cut a groove 180degrees (opposite side of factory groove) of the gtr pinion assemply in order for it to bolt into the r33 box!?

well answered my own question, GTR speedo assembly does need a new groove cut, dont spend the money on the gtr pinion assembly GO THE NAVARA one guys, shaft is longer and therefore stronger when holding the r33 red cog in place..they both fit r33 box and both require a locating groove cut opposite factory groove.