SAU Community

Who Likes Track Days? Who's Scared Of 'em? Who Can't Afford It?

Abo Bob

We have three people in now! Is there like a guideline for helmets, could i just use a moto helmet?

I might approach the Yamaha shop on Epping Rd about a group buy. I'll see if they will do a decent price.

I will start a new thread about this if they come back with a positive answer. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you who are worried about stacking it into a wall, it comes down to driver attitude!!!

You don't crash into a wall for no reason, and you don't start out going a million miles per hour on your first lap, you work up to the speed.

Just don't go out there and try be a hero, you'll have problems.

So stop being such a bunch of pussies and book a spot!

Make sure you put a link in here... I might buy a new helmet this season also.

I called Sydney City Motorcycles, and they are willing to go ahead with the group buy. I'm going down there tomorrow morning to work out the details, and I'll post them up tomorrow arvo.

Cheers.

I would love to get involve, but atm, car is not up to it yet.

I gota get my sspension sorted.

and add some more power!\

In the future, FOR SURE!

Edited by RBFIRE

Thanks Liz :D

Also, price for the April 29 day goes up tomorrow (although I think I could squeeze a few people in if you pay by monday). We did this to encourage people to pay early.

This could quite possibly be the last time anyone will get to race on the grand prix track at Oran Park as they are pulling it all down soon.

We have three people in now! Is there like a guideline for helmets, could i just use a moto helmet?

As long as they conform to Australian Design Standards i think you should be right (check with CAMS)

Lots of good input here, thanks everyone.

I've only got 2 points to add:

1/ a stock skyline is a pretty well built car, its proved by the fact they can often make twice the factory power before they have problems. I ran my stock gtst at trackdays for 3 YEARS! Mods were king springs and a bleed valve. I went through a few pads and discs and tyres but no breakages at all. For those fresh from the dyno day it made 163rwkw. ooooerr....

2/ You aren't going to hit anything if you are sensible. Tracks are super safe places they are designed that way! And 99% you won't go over about 180 anyway, I see people driving skylines that quick on the road all the time :thumbsup: I've hit the wall at Oran Park twice in 5 years racing (50 events) and both times were during a race when I was trying too hard. You won't go anywhere near it on a track day.

I and others are happy to help out with pointers to get you started, everyone can learn something :D

You guys have one of the best performance cars ever built, get out ther and enjoy it!

Most of you will feel nervous on your first, second even third track day.... I've been to half a dozen and i still get nervous on the first session. But seriously you get over those nerves, once you get out there you realise its not as bad as you thought. The track is wider, smoother and easier to see around the corners compared to driving on the street. Don't look or think about the walls and you won't hit them. The only people who hit the walls are the people who drive 10/10ths. Just go out there and drive 8/10ths and you won't hit a wall.

If you've never been on a track before get one of the more experienced guys to sit passenger with you and give you some pointers. Even better go out as a passenger in a more experienced drivers car and see how they do it. You'll learn so much about your cars braking and handling.

It's only expensive if you make it expensive. You know how many things i've broken at track days since I started going to them 18months ago? zero.... I've also done it on the same set of street tyres, and its my daily driver.... unless your really pushing (which you won't be) you won't chew your street tyres that much.

People who haven't been out there don't know what they are missing out on.... when was the last time you read/heard someone say 'i went to a track day and didn't like it im not going back again' :O

agreed.

If someone hits a wall @ wakefield they must be doing something stupid.

Having just come from there, looks like a brilliant, fun track.

Wheres the SBS (sump baffle syndrome) crew?

hehehe... if was actually a problem they might actually have a reason, but there is no such thing :D

Its all un-founded rubbish as you know :thumbsup:

You guys have one of the best performance cars ever built, get out ther and enjoy it!

Damn straight. Skylines are freaking brilliant on the track and makes novice drivers look good. If we were all driving S15's or MR2's then it would be a different story. Alot harder to drive around a track on da pipe.

Stay clear of S15's and MR2's. I had 2 MR2's on 5 seperate occasions lose it right in front of me. WRX's are the same.

Skylines rock! Slight oversteer?? BRING IT ON!!!!! (then bring it back)

Moot

Abo, Interesting thread!

All, I am a track pig, no questions asked. I have done about 40 track days in street car's over the last 6 years. I thought it might be interesting to share my experiences.

R33 GTS. 4 track days 100% stock nil issues and the same set of tyres.

R33 GTR 10 track days, small mods PFC and bleed valve. 2 set's of tyres, lasted 35,000 KM each. On day Bang 1 x engine snapped an inlet valve. (Car had 100,000Km on it)

R33 GTR (Same one) 15 track days, re-build, turbo's and sump baffle, 2 x sets of tyres with 30,000Km each.

R34 GTR, 8 track days. Turbo's, oil cooler, PFC sump. 2 Sets of tyres 25,000km out of some toyo trampia's and 20,000km our of the Toyo T1R's.

If you want to become a track pig because you have the track bug, spend $5-10K on coolers, turbo's and ecu. If you dont, you do run the risk of damaging something, skylines are great cars but do 1000's of hot laps at wakefield, Oran and the creek does take its toll on a std parts

But my point of view if you are a 1-2 year track driver, all you need is a good running car with brakes, if your car has dodgy brakes, the track is not the place to be. Tyres, easy, wear out the edges on the track and the rest can wear out on the street.

Hi guys, I've organised a group buy for helmets.

See here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=111933

:O

I got mine from a dead man!!! for $10.

If a bike rider has a crash then the helmet is not allowed to be used again and i know a mate that gets all the crashed helmets.

Not sure if the guy died in my helmet (there was no blood) but all it had was a small scratch. :O

My thoughts...a std Skyline is far more reliable then a modified one. A std Skyline makes for a better occassional track car then a modified one.

As soon as you start playign with mods things can go wrong, about the only exception to the rule is exhaust, intercooler, filter and brake fluids and pads. If you want to put an oil cooler on then fair enough but i drove around not having one for 3 years and it didnt hurt my car.

Things that kinda suck if you are going to track your car are things like suspension...you can make the car worse to drive by beign too low, having too much camber etc etc. Basic susp upgrades work well, but dotn get too crazy with susp settings otherwsie you can help kill a set of tyres and find yourself not having as much fun.

The mods that certainly suck if you are going to track your car are tuned ECUs, spoliers and body kits, aftermarket turbos, built engines, electric thermo fans and theavily modded suspension...as you spend $500-600 on track days just tryign to get everything working as good as the car did without the mod:(

This will be my first track day and i tell ya I can't wait!!!

I was abit sceptical at first worrying about things like crashing and breaking shit but until I try it I'll always be wandering what its like to punt my 'line around a track. I'll be driving it and really there is no race its just atrack day so people can experience what its like to actually push these well engineered cars further than we could out on the public road. If you want to go 6\10's then so be it no-ones gonna bag you for itand there's no rule stating you have to go flat out.

C'mon people just give it a go, if you don't like it then atleast you know, but if your anything like me and wander what it would be like to take a car past anything you can legally do on the street then i'm sure you'll turn up to more track days in the future. This is one of the reasons i joined a car club and one of the reasons i bought one of the best cars to do it with.

Keep up the good work Adam! ;)