SAU Community

How'd you pay for it?

If this is any help one of my jobs was KFC! I only did 10 hours a week there but its better than nothing so i say take the Maccas job!

Its not so bad if u find a job u enjoy and u dont mind having no weekends but the more u work the less time u hav 2 spend!

Yep all paid 4 by me but i also took out a $5000 bank loan just 2 be on the safe side which i used 2 pay my insurance

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a personal loan from Commonwealth Bank (the manager did put in a good word for me tho, coz he was a family friend)

bought my 180 (CA18DET) when I was 19, sold it and bought my skyline last year (jus b4 I turned 21).

My secret was living at home with no expenses, and worked fulltime for a year to pay off the 180 and all its mods (thank god for canon and their 36k p/a job). Then it all went downhill, got busted by cops exceeding speed limit by more than 100km/h (long story) now I have a power restriction on my license etc etc so I have to drive a GTS :P next year my P's and my restriction expires, so R32 GTR here I come... either that or a trip to Japan for a year n come home with sumfin off its tits.

Basic moral, get a good job, live at home, save as much as u can, 8 months into the job, go to a bank ask for a 12k personal loan to cover you for running costs, insurance and mods for the next couple of years. Buy your dream car (under 15k)

Im 19 and i must admit my Skyline hasnt been fully paid for by me - i paid for about half with the sale of my previous car and the other half was a 19th B'day present.

But even saying that - it does keep me terribly broke and i honestly dont know how people my age who are in debt with the loan can still afford to do what they do to their cars!! I have nowhere near the debt yet i still struggle to pay for new suspension - but my baby's worth it - i just can't live the lifestyle a lot of my mates lead because of it.

Yeh, Im gonna look for a job on Friday, gotta start somewhere I guess. I like the 19th b/day present buying half your car. My parents havent given me a b/day or christ. present in like 2 years so I might ask for a special one this year. :P

heheh, i'm 19 too! seems to be the age where the skyline gene's kick in and we all know what we want to buy.

Alirght, here's my situation. Full time holiday (EDIT, what the f*ck was i thinking!!, FULL TIME UNI i meant, hehehe), and i work 17.5 hours a week. Started my job at the ANZ 2002 April. So that's may, june..... it's been 10 months. I've got 13.5K saved up (spent a crapload when i first got the job, went skiing for a week, bought a guitar an amp. etc) plus i've got about 1.2K of other misc stuff, tax, parents paying me back for stuff (yeah i know, weird!! :()

Anyways, i'm looking at getting a R34 GT-T round November this year. Budgetting for around $37k driving on the road. I'm an VERY lucky to have my parents putting in 10K for me, and not a loan either. So i need to get together $27K of my own........... shit, just realised, i'm half way there!!!!! yay!!!!!! seems like such a long way to go when u start saving.

I'm also lucky that i have found a job that pays really well. But i am making sacrifices like some other ppl, i have a budget i try to stick to a week, and i'm doing about 95% of the time. I still go out and drink and stuff, just don't do those crazy nights of like 80 - 100bucks. Sure there is a heap of stuff i'd like to buy and do, but just gotta think about a l337 R34 GT-T :D

But i'm also thinking about going o.s., buying a property/aparment, so yeah, it's about priorities and i haven't got mine sorted out yet. Just saving my ass off and when it comes time to make a decision i'll have the finances to at least have some options.

In terms of insurance, i think for ppl our age who can afford it, Prosperion is the only way to go, $1,500 a yr full comp! :Dwww.prosperion.com.au - they're not just Insurance tho, they finance the car.

Regarding importing, yes the compliance prices are going to rise a few grand with the new scheme, especially for cars like the R32 :(, BUT with decreased demand at auctions from the AUstralian market u can look for prices to fall too at the auctions, so u never know. Prices for stock cars might stay the same or go even cheaper! just gotta wait and see.

cheers! and good luck!

oh also, another thing that might help. I've started an ING saving maximiser thingy. www.ingdirect.com.au

tis the coolest, just throw ur money in there, u can move it to any account at any time, or move money in at any time, no fees, no charges. 4.75% interest p/a. Interest paid quarterly, i've got enough money in there at the moment that it's actually paying for my petrol!! :( well i do drive a little pulsar, 1.6ltr 4cyl, but still, every little bit helps!

cheers.

Good work! :D It's hard to save a lot when your mates go out and spend, but pretty soon you won't regret it... They'll say "Your so lucky - I wish I had a car like yours"... Ppl will also think you're rich or your parents paid for it, so get used to defending yourself!

Keep it up... :(

I was 19 when i got my r33. I worked at coles after school from about 15 until i finished school at 17 (almost 18). I got a s13 when i was 17 from the money i had saved working at coles. After school i started full time employment i worked my ass off for 2 years working 2 jobs. I traded my s13 in on my r33. The r33 is a 97 model and was $30,000. Got $8000 for the silvia, had another $5000 saved. Got a loan for $17,000. From the time i saw the car on a sunday i had the loan and the car by wednesday. All i really needed was to tell them i had been in my job for 2 years. I dont think they (national bank) checked though, i never even told them where i worked. I only gave them 2 fake pay slips (because ti was all so quick i couldnt get my most recent pay slips so i just re typed soem old ones with different dates (my pay slips are computer print outs). So really all i needed was 2 pay slips. My Silvia and i have about $15,000 worth of tools as security. My loan broaker would have deposited $2000 into my acount to make a savings history if i didnt have one.

The funny thing is that the Stgeorge bank who i have banked with for years and have all my savings with wouldnt give me a loan to save my life. I didnt need Comprehensive insurance either which was good.

I was a mear 18 when I bought my skyline.

I got a $25000 (unsecured.. meaning the car isn't used against the loan.. ) loan from the bank and I'm paying $280 a fortnight.

I'm a public servant for the government so I get paid quite a bit for my age. I'm now 19 and turning 20 in july.

Just gotta be in the right spot at the right time and get a good job.

So this is how young people get into debt...borrowing $20 000 for cars and not comprehensively insuring them. Paying that back over 7 years......you'd lose so much money. Ah well, when you're young have fun I suppose....

hahah you guys think waiting is hard try 3 months hahah

well saving isnt that hard if you have a decent job etc you can do it

i managed to save 17 k in 1 year. but thats not going out hardly any where nothing at all. doing jobs here and there

i worked about 35 hous a week minimum and also djed on weekends etc

so i got there =) its weel worth it

when i do get my car

i did get a loan for 7 k just to be same and also for insurnace

but yea you just about budgiting your self=)

public servant too eh nismogirl haha!

My love of imports started way before my skyline with a nissan 300ZX-T just before 17. I learnt to drive on a VT Holden Clubby so high powered cars are just always been in my blood. Love the Nissans wouldnt have anything else. But you guys have stirred my thoughts into saving for an R34 never considered it before take me about 18months to get - got bills to pay off - hmmm but now i think about maybe i should leave my R33 stock n just go for the prize ;)

Sold my old car for $9.5K plus a $15K loan from parents which I paid off within 1 year with my own salary... (next week is my last payment)

i got a $15k loan, had $9k in the pocket, car cost me $19,500 registered for a year so then i bought a nice security system, sound system and insurance not to mention now i goty zorst, boost controller etc etc etc and im paying $260 per month for 7 years, but i stil havent sold my astina which i should get minimum $8k for minus what i owe my mum ($3k) is another $5k going straight into the loan so i really only owe just under $10k :P

oh and im 18 and i dont have a stable job (i do ps2 mods etc) so its sorta like if there's high demand ie. xmas time im rich, otherwise i struggle :P but im looking into getting another low hour job qafter uni hours coz if i work any more ill get owned :D