SAU Community

R33 Gts4 Or Gts Engine Conversion To Rb25det

As I have just rebuilt my GTS4 RB20DET from Blind_Elks old AWD RB20DET by using the good crank and rods back into my block with my good pistons and rings I dont need to keep the following a secret anymore. :unsure:

Steve in QLD has Stagea RB25DET's for sale at good prices IF

you can get hold of him on 0433 413 791 or [email protected]

You could also consider getting the $450 adapter plate from the guy in ACT (cant remember SAU username) to use a std RB25det on the AWD sump.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Blind elk,

" The Stagea runs 4.083 diff ratios - it is relatively easy to swap your current diff (crown wheel AND pinion gear) into the Stagea housing. I eventually changed to the Stagea ratios front and rear, because the RB25DET had so much more torque that I didn't need the standard (R32) 4.375 ratios"

That sounds pricey man.... can u give me an estimate using aftermarket bits please.

Greatly appreciate the feed back people.

I think this topic will be of good use to future ppl who want to do this . And i believe i be the 1st to post info n progress aboutit. So its good for all =)

Keep your ideas n opionions coming !

SHorty =)

the front crown gears 2nd hand are arround 450bux i highly suggest if u buy a stagea engine get a stagea crown gears for you diff as elk pointed out the RB25DET has alot more torque than the DE and if u think u will want to luanch you car against a few GenIII v8's go for the stronger gears

where do you work i get off @ 1pm tomorrow if its good for you my phone is in my profile

Edited by Madaz

ah yeah. if you want to use a r33 gtst motor you would need a sumper adaptor plate. same thing they use for putting RB30 engines in to GTS4 or GTR skylines. would be the easyest way to do it.

good luck in your goal. rember for your budget work out an estimate and add $1000 and that should keep you sweet for any unexpected problems.. well minor ones.

Thanks BADR33 for your words of wisdom =)

It be good experience in life for me lol.... NA to TUrBO... its like losing ur virginity.... LMAO

well maybe not.

Does any one know where i can get a hold of this Adaptor plate for rb25det to 4wd sump in adel? :)

Edited by shorty_01

i will take u to a good mechanic tomorrow and we will get sum sound advice (not saying shaun from boost worx doesnt know his stuff)

**edit**

nice 4door BADR33

Edited by Madaz

Hello,

i`m about to do such conversion in the near future. I have S2 ENR33`97. It already has ENR34 manual box and ECR33 5stud brakes -- so now its gonna be the final step.

Engine was purchased this winter from the accidental auto WGNC34. It is RB25DET NEO RC4.083.

Already done:

- Oil sump changed (i didn`t want to disassemble my engine so i get a spare ENR34 oil sump with the same RC4.363).

- Timing belt, belt bearings, oil seals and water pump changed 4 new.

- stock ECR33 intercooler installed.

- stock ECR33 airfilter box installed (stock ENR33 will interfere with the intercooler outlets), you can use low resistance filter like Apexi instead.

- fuel pump changed to stock WGNC34 25DET

TODO:

- Pull out bitchy auto pilot bearing (i`ve done this once during manual conversion, but it was a bad way of doing this :D)

- Change ignition plugs.

- Maybe change high-pressure tube for power steering -- if i will find one undamaged for R34 (NEO has a mechanical valve for adding some air during idle when PS loads engine -- R33 pipe has no place for such valve)

and finally swap it! :D

The problem is that new engine is NEO -- it is quite difficult to use NEO ecu and harness at R33. I will try to leave my R33 harness and use stock ECR33 ecu. The questions that are still open is wiring for:

- TPS (will try swap TPS sensors)

- AAC/FICD system (quite different systems, not sure yet)

- VTC solenoid (will try rewiring)

- Boost solenoid (funny, but ENR33 has harness for it, but NEO connector differs, will try to rewire)

- FPCM -- optional, car can run without it, will try ti fix it later with parts from WGNC34

I think this is all you need to know for a swap :). Ask me a question a couple of weeks later -- maybe i will finish my swap.

p.s. Don`t forget about exhaust -- afaik exhaust can be used from ENR33 from cat, before the cat (downpipe, frontpipe) exhaust system is 25DET unique. It is strongly advized to change exhaust to 25DET fully cause N/A system will affect the engine perfomance.

Hello,

i`m about to do such conversion in the near future. I have S2 ENR33`97. It already has ENR34 manual box and ECR33 5stud brakes -- so now its gonna be the final step.

Engine was purchased this winter from the accidental auto WGNC34. It is RB25DET NEO RC4.083.

Already done:

- Oil sump changed (i didn`t want to disassemble my engine so i get a spare ENR34 oil sump with the same RC4.363).

- Timing belt, belt bearings, oil seals and water pump changed 4 new.

- stock ECR33 intercooler installed.

- stock ECR33 airfilter box installed (stock ENR33 will interfere with the intercooler outlets), you can use low resistance filter like Apexi instead.

- fuel pump changed to stock WGNC34 25DET

TODO:

- Pull out bitchy auto pilot bearing (i`ve done this once during manual conversion, but it was a bad way of doing this :D)

- Change ignition plugs.

- Maybe change high-pressure tube for power steering -- if i will find one undamaged for R34 (NEO has a mechanical valve for adding some air during idle when PS loads engine -- R33 pipe has no place for such valve)

and finally swap it! :D

The problem is that new engine is NEO -- it is quite difficult to use NEO ecu and harness at R33. I will try to leave my R33 harness and use stock ECR33 ecu. The questions that are still open is wiring for:

- TPS (will try swap TPS sensors)

- AAC/FICD system (quite different systems, not sure yet)

- VTC solenoid (will try rewiring)

- Boost solenoid (funny, but ENR33 has harness for it, but NEO connector differs, will try to rewire)

- FPCM -- optional, car can run without it, will try ti fix it later with parts from WGNC34

I think this is all you need to know for a swap :D. Ask me a question a couple of weeks later -- maybe i will finish my swap.

p.s. Don`t forget about exhaust -- afaik exhaust can be used from ENR33 from cat, before the cat (downpipe, frontpipe) exhaust system is 25DET unique. It is strongly advized to change exhaust to 25DET fully cause N/A system will affect the engine perfomance.

Hey mate, Thanks for the info!!!

So you have a na s2 GTS not R33 GTS4 correct? :(

Post here once you completed the conversion n tell us how it goes.

Are u getting a Engineers Certificate?

Reagrds

Shorty

Edited by shorty_01

most of stongzo's post u dont need to worry about shorty ... cause the mechanic u choose will know everything that needs to be replaced and wot not

Hey mate, Thanks for the info!!!

So you have a na s2 GTS not R33 GTS4 correct? >_<

Post here once you completed the conversion n tell us how it goes.

Are u getting a Engineers Certificate?

Reagrds

Shorty

I have NA R33 GTS4. RB25DE, 4WD. I`m doing most of the job myself cause i don`t trust anyone -- i`m sure i can do it better :nyaanyaa:

I have NA R33 GTS4. RB25DE, 4WD. I`m doing most of the job myself cause i don`t trust anyone -- i`m sure i can do it better >_<

and if not u can stuff it up just as good as sum1 else :nyaanyaa:

good luck on the job man me and shorty took a look under the bonnet of mine (who sum1 converted) and there is a fair bit to do

has you crown and pinion gears been changed for the turbo or are u gunna keep it orriginal

Thank you, i`ll report here after finishing swap.

p.s. i`ve changed oil sump assy (oil sump is assembled with the front diff) already -- so i now have final ratio 4.363 both front and rear. It is very short ratio, bad for highway and fuel economy, but good for city and fast launches >_<

Hey guys,

first of all i just like to thanks Madaz for showing and taking me for a spin in his MAD AZ 4 door gt4 turbo'd F*Ing charged skyline :D

What suprised me was that t Madaz did a bolt on turbo conversion running 10:1 compression with moderate boost level n not an RB25DEt engine as i first thought. However this car is mean ass! I been 200kws @ rears skylines n this feels just as fast n handles like a dream!

Im going to mechanics with Madaz soon to get my car sus's out for a turbo conversion instead of engine transplant it will work out cheaper... well hopefuly... :P

Good shizzle!

Regards SHorty

Edited by shorty_01

i will take u to a good mechanic tomorrow and we will get sum sound advice (not saying shaun from boost worx doesnt know his stuff)

**edit**

nice 4door BADR33

cheers man. it will be changing again soon once the 5stud is on cus ill get some new wheels. plus a few suspension goodies. :(

plus i will start on my custom side skirts to make them fit alot nicer then they did before..

good luck to all you guys and your projects. good to see some people working on NA skylines even if its making them turbo :wave:

---------- RB 26 to RB 30 block sump adapter plates, 10mm cadium mild steel laser cut plate, with detailed photos and instructions of fitment and further minor mods $450. Please PM for further details.------------

Fitzpatrick Speed Works is the guys SAU nick.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...hp?showuser=193 <--- link to his details

hope this helped the peole that want to use non gts4/gtr blocks into gts4/gtrs

any of you guys thinkin about non turbo to turbo conversions thought about using a aus spec RB30 bottom end in theres? im about to build a wrecker spec rb30det (rb30 r31/vl bottom end with r33 gts head) for my car and should make HUGE power figures. check out the RB30 thread for all the info. if you can do the bolt up work yaself i dont beleive it will be overly expensive.

i should know in a couple more how it all actually goes

thanx

Dan

Edited by NosDan