SAU Community

Get Rid Of Cat Converter

The performance gains are not worth :

1. The damage it would do too the environment.

2. The damage it would do too your wallet.

Your driving a street car, not a race car.

Although yes it is cheap power i do agree, however as stated before it is far more dangerous to the environment and your bank account if you get caught. Do you know what gasses are emmited from your exhaust when you have no cat converter? NOx and COx (Nitrogen Oxides and Carbon Oxides) are the main ones, some of which are extremely toxic. A cat coverter chages some of these deadly gases into safer less toxic gasses.

Carbon monoxide is an example of this.

IMO Dont do it, its not worth it really when you thing about it.

Beer Baron: I've heard of cars brought over from NZ that don't have the cat on them, in fact I know someone thats had their S2 imported from NZ and it had no cat on it, and he had to pay for a new cat to get a safety certificate and he wasn't made aware at the time of puchase that it didn't have one. I was just wondering why/if its legal over there or is it just some loophole.

Just a Q.

Cheers :D

ah well that is different. in most countries (australia included) cat conversters only became mandatory after a certain year ( i think in aus it's 1986). so that year ruling can differ in other countries (for example in the UK I think it's 1992 or something).

U cant be serious?

I hope he really is!

Besides the first person who will suffer the most from those toxic gasses will be the moronic driver himself... I get shit loads of exhaust gas from my car every time the turbo timer is running... I cant imagine how much shit Id breath if my cat converter wasnt there... :D

lol...only $10,000.

pffft is that all ??? :D

cmon, there's no real gain to removing your cat. if it's restrictive, just get a high flow cat.

also, as said above, you're gonna be kicking yourself if you get busted.

Although yes it is cheap power i do agree, however as stated before it is far more dangerous to the environment and your bank account if you get caught. Do you know what gasses are emmited from your exhaust when you have no cat converter? NOx and COx (Nitrogen Oxides and Carbon Oxides) are the main ones, some of which are extremely toxic. A cat coverter chages some of these deadly gases into safer less toxic gasses.

Carbon monoxide is an example of this.

IMO Dont do it, its not worth it really when you thing about it.

thanks for all the replies, was intending on putting a high flow cat anyway incase emissions were to be tested by my friends (police). Wasnt sure what cat actually did or what fines were. However you would be surprised how many people just ram a steel tube thru their cat to free flow it.

I hope he really is!

Besides the first person who will suffer the most from those toxic gasses will be the moronic driver himself... I get shit loads of exhaust gas from my car every time the turbo timer is running... I cant imagine how much shit Id breath if my cat converter wasnt there... :D

What about cars from pre mid eighties that dont have cat converters. my bro has a killer xy gt that ran on av gas b4 laws changed, he hasnt dropped dead from toxic fumes.

What about cars from pre mid eighties that dont have cat converters. my bro has a killer xy gt that ran on av gas b4 laws changed, he hasnt dropped dead from toxic fumes.

also if you ran a hose from your exhaust into your car window you would be dead within a minute, cant get anymore toxic than that with or without your cat.

And im sure the environment loves him for it to.

What the cat converter does is uses a catalyst such as platnium or vanadium i think to convert the main toxic gasses (CO-Carbon Monoxide and NOx-Nitrogen Oxides and Hydrocarbons) into less harmful gasses. These are all pollutants which are both toxic and cause pollution known as smog. Even the hydrocarbons can be broken down by the sun into Ozone (O3) which attacks rubber, and cuases respiratory problems at ground level.

These less harmful gasses are CO2-Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen gas (N2) plus some additional oxygen and some water vapour. All of which are far less detrimentral to the environment or anyone standing around yor exhuast.

So if you were to stand at your exhuast for an extended period of time with no cat, you would eventually just feel dizzy and or faint from reduced oxygen in your blood.

In the end, highflow cat is the way to go IMO.

How long have petrol cars existed? Notice how much damage in such short period of time cars have caused to the environment (ozone lair, global warming etc)...

People do something then they think why it caused problems...

Do I even need to mention atomic radiation and idiots watching it a few KMs away?

Edited by Sir-D