SAU Community

Flywheel Bolts Wont Come Off!

jaik

Gday Folks

Im trying to remove my flywheel bolts but with no luck. Im using a 19mm socket over them and originally tried to remove it with a repco breaker bar but to no avail.

So far Ive tried 2 different Rattle Guns and 2 different Compressors and had no luck what so ever. Ive hit the bolts with a hammer and still no go with the rattle guns.

Right now ive got my front pipe bolted to the flywheel (pressure plate bolts) so that the flywheel wont rotate (stuck against the chassis rail) and still it wont budge.

The car is only on ramps at the moment - do you think a metre long breaker bar would do the job if I got the car on a hoist?

Cheers,

JK

Like above,

I've just done my flywheel, clutch (R33) on stands, got it of with a bit of force. I used a big torque ranch that you use to bolt up engines with and off she went... :(

Rattle guns are not always good. If your using a standard size ranch just put a pipe on it as big as you can find that fits under the car and you should be ok.

Cheers,

Alex.

Would be a lot easier on a hoist.. you can't get decent leverage with the car on ramps/axle stands.

I remember trying to change the pulsar's gearbox oil and I even jacked up the end of the ratchet until it was just twisting the engine on its mounts.. nothing. gave up and let the mech do it and it took him 3 big goes at it with a breaker bar to get it undone.

I ran into the same problem on a converted s14 engine recently. The japs must be mad for over tightening flywheel bolts. Combined with loctite they take can take a lot of leverage to crack. We managed to crack the bolt in the harmonic balancer before some of the bolts in the flywheel as we had the engine locked off that bolt originally :P

On the flip side, removal of the stock flywheel on my rb was a piece of cake with a short breaker bar and socket

yeah, sounds like they have been tightened to death.. as the torque on them is not stupid. I removed my old auto flywheel with just a standard breaker.

Tightening them too much can actually have the opposite effect, they stress, and can fracture. Fractured flywheel bolts can get very nasty. Don't over tighten when you do put it back on. The torque settings are in the service manual (that cannot be asked for.. )

J,

Did my flywheel recently - 3 bolts came off with the rattle gun, the others required a slug with the hammer first before the rattle gun worked.

I've found lots of stuff stupidly over-torqued on my car.

HTH,

Kot