SAU Community

Tokyo Auto Salon 2007

Amaru

Hi Guys,

Well I am taking up Jetstar on their $249 flights to Osaka because well its cheap (and yes im aware it will be a cheap crappy plane).

Planning to go for up to 10 days to check out TAS07 and do some sight seeing (old temples and buildings etc).

Just after some information really on places people would reccomend to check out while there etc. Ideally I would like to make TAS the first day of my trip so the rest of the time can be used for sight seeing.

Also any info on how one gets from Osaka to Tokyo, and also reccomended hotels in Tokyo that are fairly close to TAS.

Thanks in advance :starwars:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Hotels specifically but there's heaps in Tokyo so you'll be sure to find one close by. Make sure to book in advance, they often fill up fast, and can change even from day to day. For instance you may only be able to stay 3 days at one hotel and have to move somewhere else for another 3 days. Thats if you don't book.

As for Osaka to Tokyo, can take a shinkansen (bullet train), about 2-3 hours and about 10,000 ($120AUD)

How did you book your ticket? I checked the Jetstar site but they wouldnt let me book online.

Edited by MaximusSmurf

Yep its $249 from Sydney to Osaka.

The promotional fares, which also feature $199 one-way specials from Sydney to Phuket and $249 for Sydney-Osaka, include taxes and charges.

They are good for travel between the international airline's planned November 23 start date and June 30 next year, with services to six destinations phased in between November and March.

have you actually been able to book tickets at $249 each way for those dates? I've been trying for a couple of days with no luck. and I hear they only have around 2 seats per plane at that price... do you know the phone number for jetstar bookings?

edit: and i know it's $249 syd-osaka but how much is it osaka-sydney as i'm planning to come back home sometime!

I stayed in Chiba at the Chiba Park Hotel, right near Chiba Upgarage :starwars:

It was a 10min skyrail ride to Tokyo City, and a 20mins train ride to the Mekuhari Messe, where the Auto Salon is held. id go again if it wasnt going to cost me $5K for a week! haha

Awesome place to visit. Cars/Sights/Culture/Geisha gals, everything you could ask for in a holiday!

Edited by _8OO5TED_

OK thanks... will try my luck! I hope you're wrong Rich about the 2 seat thing :starwars:

You gotta keep searching the dates stan, they only run flights on certain days.

There arent many around too

ps: their website is crap! they dont even list out what dates they DO fly those routes

My mate just bought 2 return tickets to Osaka for around $800 each inclusive of taxes

Not THAT cheap when you consider you get crap all except a plane flight.

I just did a search and the price is now up tp $1200 for a ticket on the same day. Argh

Can anyone provide the date for TAS 2007 so I can try and work around that?

Have to catch up if youre over there too Beer Baron, since you have been there before and all.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. 12 -> 14th Jan.

Edited by Amaru

Not sure about Hotels specifically but there's heaps in Tokyo so you'll be sure to find one close by. Make sure to book in advance, they often fill up fast, and can change even from day to day. For instance you may only be able to stay 3 days at one hotel and have to move somewhere else for another 3 days. Thats if you don't book.

As for Osaka to Tokyo, can take a shinkansen (bullet train), about 2-3 hours and about 10,000 ($120AUD)

How did you book your ticket? I checked the Jetstar site but they wouldnt let me book online.

I just checked. Osaka Airport to Tokyo Shinkansen fares are around 15,000 Yen one way and it takes 3hrs 25minutes from Osaka Airport to Tokyo.

It's a bus for 25mins and a train for 2hrs 50mins with a bit of waiting in between.

So yeah, not such a bargain flight really when you have to factor in Shinkansen fares, 30k yen return (about $340AUD at todays rate.... eek). Oh and the fact that you add 3.5hrs on top of your travel time which is already pretty long.

my advice is forget chasing the cheap Osaka fares. I reckon shinkansen from osaka-tokyo will be a lot more than 10,000yen return. I would say probably double that. plus hardly any of the return flighs are direct, so you have to go tokyo-osaka (train), osaka-brisbane, wait in brisbane for a number of hours then brisbane-sydney. plus if you want a blanket on the plane = $$ want food? =$$$ want drink? = $$.

I fly JAL. As much sake, ashahi, sapporo, kirin, rice snacks etc as I want. plus they have some good duty free on board. (very cheap ciggies for instance). all the in flight movies etc too for when i get tired of PSP. Plus they do direct Sydney-tokyo. yes it will cost more, no doubt about it. but I dont have to spend 3 hours searching dates, and I can chose whatever day/time i want.

it's like when they have those big sales on at DJs etc. You see a nice pair of hugo boss shoes at 60% off. Now, you dont really like the style, and their is no way you would buy them at full price. but you buy them because they are cheap and good value. BUT if they are not exactly what you wanted (like these) flights, then are they really good value? I think not.

not 100% yet if I will be going back to TAS in 07. 3 years in a row and the 'specialness' of it all wears off. Maybe go another time later this year or next and do something different though.

EDIT: sewid posted while i was slowly typing! shinkansen were triple not double like i though... eep.

I fly JAL. As much sake, ashahi, sapporo, kirin, rice snacks etc as I want. plus they have some good duty free on board. (very cheap ciggies for instance). all the in flight movies etc too for when i get tired of PSP. Plus they do direct Sydney-tokyo. yes it will cost more, no doubt about it. but I dont have to spend 3 hours searching dates, and I can chose whatever day/time i want.

Yes but you're missing the most important thing...

Are the air-hostesses hawt?

VERY interested in these flights - if anyone can get onto the site (i cant) can you please check when the special ends? (hoping to go to Nismo festival for cheap )

ok, you guys are all too late for the cheap Osaka fares. they are all booked out until the end of May 2007. There are still a couple of seats left in June 2007 but that's it.

imgAdvert-27Jul06-temp.jpg

Tokyo AutoSalon on

12-14 January 2007

http://www.e-autosalon.net

http://www.e-autosalon.net/tokyo/english/index.html

on the 12th is double the price (3000 yen) and is only open to public after 13:00 basically a press day

13th from 9:00-18:00

14th from 9:00-17:00

for 13th and 14th its 1800/1500 Yen

The site has everything you need, schedule, train routes, addresses, etc etc

Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to stay in Tokyo? with contact details preferably

plan to do a lot of car parts shopping ahhahah