SAU Community

Haltech V Apexi Power Fc

Hi Guys

I recently put in some 800cc injectors, bosch 044 fuel pump and regulator, and the car is smoking more than my grandmother.

I need a ECU, what should i choose, the Haltech ecu or the Apexi FC.

And where and how much could i get an Apexi fc fitted and installed and tuned from.

And if i put in the Apexi could i be running 18 pounds boost, i now its possible with the haltech with no problem, i was wondering would the apexi do the same.

the pro's will kick in with much better info but my basic understanding is

they both should be able to produce the same tuned power as per tuner knowledge and ability but the Power FC being much easier to intergrate as in plug and Play.

Edited by ishh

1) Pick a workshop/tuner

2) Talk to them about what ECU they are most comfortable with.

3) Then purchase that.

Your car will only ever be as good as its tuner.

Definately though... get out of your mind "will it be good at 18psi". Boost is totally irrelevant.

Its an ECU, its tuneable. It can be tuned to cope with whatever you desire to run the package at :D

cheers

• Like 1

1) Pick a workshop/tuner

2) Talk to them about what ECU they are most comfortable with.

3) Then purchase that.

Your car will only ever be as good as its tuner.

Definately though... get out of your mind "will it be good at 18psi". Boost is totally irrelevant.

Its an ECU, its tuneable. It can be tuned to cope with whatever you desire to run the package at :D

cheers

The problem with that is that the garage will be promoting there product, i have been to micks motorsport, and he is saying Haltech all the way, my uncle done his rexy there, but i have been hearing that apexi is better.

Would anyone now where i could get an apexi installed and everything and for roughly how much. In sydney, im near micks in condell park.

Edited by the_game

The problem with that is that the garage will be promoting there product, i have been to micks motorsport, and he is saying Haltech all the way, my uncle done his rexy there, but i have been hearing that apexi is better.

Would anyone now where i could get an apexi installed and everything and for roughly how much. In sydney, im near micks in condell park.

there are a few place around that area you can talk to. try Just engine managment, hitman, CRD and cresent motorsports they are all in the area give them a call or go down and see them.

I have a PowerFC and pretty happy with it... seems to be more common and well known.

I keep wondering about the Haltech, as it seems to have more features, software/firmware is kept up-to-date and can drive more external things like NOS, wide-band O2 sensor support, etc. Plus manuals are in English.

Would be worth getting more opinions.

Edited by Color_Of_Green

yeah installed is zero, plug and play takes 5 minutes to install.

self idle learn procedure takes 20 minutes to do by yourself and your away.

i would expect double the load points and features from the haltech for its price

QUESTION guys does the haltech run the close loop function as the std ecu and pfc does as this is critical for fuel consumption if you use the car as a everyday driver.

As in this day and age with fuel for every getting more exspensive being apply to have a car of over 500rwhp and still do over 500kms per tank of fuel is hugh bonus. I pfc is my only choice for a atreet driven car.

pete

when the throttle is steady on cruise it looks at the 02 sensor valve and trims fuel to reach the ideal afr of 14.7. so if at cruise the afr is 13.2 cos the tune is rich when you are crusing the ecu will look at the 02 sensor. the 02 sensor will report "rich" so the ecu will begin slowly leaning itself out until the 02 sensor reports "lean" and then it will keep bouncing between the two,

14.7 is ideal afr for cruising. on stock ish powerfc maps and closed loop feedback off your economy will suck the wang. but its not the be all and end all of economy. i have 02 feedback off on my FC and im getting good economy, but i spent considerable time tuning cruise afr's with a wideband sensor on the street. its known as closed loop as it enters loop operation with closed feedback from the 02 sensor

how does this close loop function work?

ok you basically have two systems that run the fuel system mixtures

1/maps that are preset valves according to rpm and afm reading

pfc run a 20 by 20 map one axles rpm and the other afm (loading)

2/ close loop which is engauged when a fixed throddle position is maintained for small period of time (ie cruising or idle etc) this is basically a self tuning system using the o2 sensor to tune its self while the fixed throddle position is maintain. It is the best way to get good fuel comsumption out of a high performance turbo engine as it means you can keep the map safe and rich but the car will lean back to normal when cruising.

pete

ps i hope i explained it correctly not the best at doing so lol

From what I was told by many people closed loop was used by factories to keep the CAT alive, nothing else.

As Paul mentioned, economy can be maintained if not improved without closed loop by tuning leaner than 14.7 but it will take more time.

At $2750, my SMC was cheaper. But I have been told the Haltech is a very decent ecu. A lot of people think if it isnt Motec or Autronic then its a class behind, which arguably they might have been a few years back but the others are improving and upgrading at a fast rate so they have to get there if not above sooner or later.

I wouldnt tune a car in the top end with Closed loop anyway

The haltech is the way to go mate

i installed one in a customers car around 3 weeks ago

his getting 380 kms out of a tank and the car is making around 400 rwhp

The tuning points are more finer and it is a benefit later when changeing ignition systems ETC

Even with large injectors the haltech can tune very fine.This skyline i just installed the ecu in has 850 or so cc sard injectors

The haltech is plug n Play

gets rid of the AFM

its $2750 Supplied installed and dyno tuned.

From what I was told by many people closed loop was used by factories to keep the CAT alive, nothing else.

As Paul mentioned, economy can be maintained if not improved without closed loop by tuning leaner than 14.7 but it will take more time.

At $2750, my SMC was cheaper. But I have been told the Haltech is a very decent ecu. A lot of people think if it isnt Motec or Autronic then its a class behind, which arguably they might have been a few years back but the others are improving and upgrading at a fast rate so they have to get there if not above sooner or later.

WRONG

the map can get reasonable results but can not get the same results a close loop as it tunes REAL time and will tune to the fuel its currnetly running the lot, and the map is only as good as its last tune (which can be quiet different to current condition) ie did you know that fuel companies run different blends summer to winter for example. And might i ask why does the close loop keep the cat alive , because it stops it running rich all the time when it doesn't need to be (rich means bad fuel comsumption). And last of all offen the needs of a map in one place between cruise and active driving are different and only this function gives you that option.

I have no doubt the haltech will make great power and the car will drive fine BUT it will not compete when it comes to balanced performance and fuel comsumption

pete

ps Xspeed has also had great results with the pfc d-jetro with high hp gtr run great fuel comsumption