SAU Community

How Far Do You Get On Empty Light?

not the smartest idea to run it dead dry , becuase if it picks up a slight bit of rubbish in the tank, it can possibly block one of your injectors, as they are like pin holes , so something very small can block them.

i wouldnt push my 33 that low

Ive got up to 450 Kms and the light hasnt come on yet. I presume I can easily get around 520-550 out of my tank If I run it dry.

Dont try and run your car dry too often as the shit in your petrol tank gets sucked into the engine and will ruin it over time. It even says so in the manual.

I was always told it is bad to run right to the bottom of the tank, cos you pick up all the stuff that normally sits in the bottom....I had issues with my commodore a while back with fuel pumps shittng themselves because of excess buildup of sludge and crap in the bottom of the tank....

Thats a bit of an old wives tale - the pickups for the tank are actually in the bottom

zappn is right. The fuel in your tank acts to cool the pump, had and lpg car come in the other day on a tilt tray ran out of fuel so drove on lpg, this system only cut injectors and not pump..... you should have seen this thing looked like a garbage bin that had been set on fire!!!!!

I didn't even know that R33's had fuel lights, is this on every car e.g 32 33 34 GTS-T GTR???

As for the junk at the bottom of the tank, every time you park your car for a prolonged period time all the junk would settle, at the bottom, so when you start it all the junk is on the bottom where the fuel pick up is so theoretically it should be sucked up every time the car is started...!! so I tend to disagree with that train of thought, if it can get through the pump, one way valve, and filter its gotta be pretty small so it should go through the injector, these days injectors rarely require cleaning anyways not for at least 100-150K even then they still flow and spray pretty well specially if you run quality fuel. thats my 2c worth.

Ok go sick dude, run empty for the next few months and tell us how you go.

I run my cars as empty as I need to and never have any issues. I even ran the R31 totally dry, the engine cut out 50m out from the servo, swung it in and slammed on the brakes right outside the bowser and put 61L into a 60L tank. It took an extra turn to start because there was no fuel in the lines but after that it was A-OK.

The only conceivable problem could be if your tank has water in it, but that's not terribly likely.

I didn't even know that R33's had fuel lights, is this on every car e.g 32 33 34 GTS-T GTR???

I'm curious about this too.

I almost invariably only ever get 45L into the tank, and people keep telling me its a 65L tank (R33 GTS-T), i just don't like the idea of "running out" of fuel - no real wives tale behind it, just walking sucks really.

Can someone confirm there is actually a fuel light on an R33 GTS-T series 1 dash, and that it should work with a PFC and bosch fuel pump - odd question i know.

I get usually 340ish km out of the 45L (roughly 13.3L/100km) out of driving about canberra for the week - although i have got it set on 10psi and well i'm impatient.

On long, boring, speed-camera infested, anal-police patrolled humourless highways, i see about 500km for the same fill - roughly 9L/100km - still same boost setting, and includes minor moments of overtaking.

Ok go sick dude, run empty for the next few months and tell us how you go.

Think about this.........if you had a bunch of crap at the bottom of your tank, what happens every time you fuel up??

It gets mixed up with the new fuel being pumped into the tank and the fuel filter would do its job

EDIT - My 33 has a fuel light and as it comes on i fill up

Edited by fat33

i was just about to do a search on this topic. can anyone actually confirm that a series 2 skyline has a fuel light? i always fill up when it gets to empty and ive never seen a warning light come on but then again whenever i fill up i only get 45 to 50 litres in. too scared to take it any further though unless i know theres a warning light but i keep hearing conflicting answers.

thanks! :woot:

i was just about to do a search on this topic. can anyone actually confirm that a series 2 skyline has a fuel light? i always fill up when it gets to empty and ive never seen a warning light come on but then again whenever i fill up i only get 45 to 50 litres in. too scared to take it any further though unless i know theres a warning light but i keep hearing conflicting answers.

thanks! :woot:

my series 2 has a fuel light :nuke: