SAU Community

How Far Do You Get On Empty Light?

on most cars there is still a good 10-15L in the tank when the light comes on

its always interesting to fill up when the light is on - count the litres and see how much u had left in the tank - makes it pretty easy to work out

yeh i get told some ppl can do another 100km on their tank when light comes on, so me thinking it was a good idea to drive around a lil more b4 filling up, only went like 30-40 km, was thinkin 50 would be the limit... went around the corner, and it started chugging like it was about to stop :rant:, lucky this was at 1am at night, and in kalgoorlie (country town) everything is pretty close, i just babied her at like 20kmh to the petrol station... $110 later she was full again :D

The fuel gauge on the R34 must be very cautious! When my fuel light first comes on I still have over 20L in the tank.

So on 45L I do 450km, theoretically if I drove it till she was dry (20L = 210km) I'd get about 660km out of a tank?

Holy jeebus.

Edited by Lithius

The fuel gauge on the R34 must be very cautious! When my fuel light first comes on I still have over 20L in the tank.

So on 45L I do 450km, theoretically if I drove it till she was dry (20L = 210km) I'd get about 660km out of a tank?

Holy jeebus.

660km? thats awesome i only do nearly 400km on a full thank...

in the pulsar I could drive for ages on the fuel light, it was really conservative.

in my R33, even once the fuel light comes on it goes back off occasionally as the fuel moves around (going up hills or down hills or whatever).

however, during this on/off phase i fuel-surged going around a corner so now I fill up as soon as the low fuel light comes on. not worth the risk on a turbo motor, unless you drive like a grandma with the fuel light on.

660km? thats awesome i only do nearly 400km on a full thank...

i did manage 657K's out of my last tank and felt it was time to fill up but only refilled with 59L. I'm on target for at least 640K's on this current tank of fuel.

I was always told it is bad to run right to the bottom of the tank, cos you pick up all the stuff that normally sits in the bottom....I had issues with my commodore a while back with fuel pumps shittng themselves because of excess buildup of sludge and crap in the bottom of the tank....

Just curious, 10KM from a servo that's all...

What's the furtherest you have had the balls to push it when the empty light is on?

I once had a 1.3L 16V manual Charade two door that I did this very test on- One time, I drove for 180km from the needle touching the 'E' mark to when the car started to sputter and I pulled into a servo. I still can't believe I didn't have to push it :cool: Very economical little cars.