SAU Community

New Garrett Gt3540 Internal Gate Is Here + Dyno Results

dangerman4

I'm jumping in this thread for more info.

Still trying to work out what to do with my turbo.

oh, and for those that where talking about dump pipes before. Were you talkingabou something like this

1.jpg

yea they were..

but you try that with a 3 inch and a 2 inch mandrel bend coming off a gt3540..

there just isnt the room.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of low mount manifold are you using? or you getting one custom made?

its a stainless low mount that has been on the car for 18 months.

never had an issue with it.

not sure on brand..

i dont think its anything flash, but it seems to flow ok.

I think you'll find the smaller GT2835 Pro S housing is .68AR ratio and very likely intended for RB20's .

Be a bit careful with GT2835 turbine specs because some are 84 trim and some are 90 trim . Compressors can be 48 or 52 or 56 trim so this can change results markedly .

If the HKS .68 IW housings are gathering dust the RB20 fraternity should think about snapping them up cheaply and putting them on the otherwise useless Garrett GT3071R "WG" , the version with the 84 trim turbine and 52 trim compressor . Should be pretty responsive on an RB20 and run out of exhaust and airflow approaching ~ 400 Hp .

I'll check up the trims and get back on that idea .

Cheers A .

I think you'll find the smaller GT2835 Pro S housing is .68AR ratio and very likely intended for RB20's .

Be a bit careful with GT2835 turbine specs because some are 84 trim and some are 90 trim . Compressors can be 48 or 52 or 56 trim so this can change results markedly .

If the HKS .68 IW housings are gathering dust the RB20 fraternity should think about snapping them up cheaply and putting them on the otherwise useless Garrett GT3071R "WG" , the version with the 84 trim turbine and 52 trim compressor . Should be pretty responsive on an RB20 and run out of exhaust and airflow approaching ~ 400 Hp .

I'll check up the trims and get back on that idea .

Cheers A .

hey disco,

where did u find a Garrett GT3071R "wg" with a 52 trim comp wheel?

everywhere i've looked, i've only seen the 56 trim comp wheel being associated with the GT3071R.

also, wouldn't the 90 trim turbine wheel work better with the large 56/52 trim GT35 comp wheel as compared to the 84 trim?

I have my 2835proS off my RB25 at the moment, and reading about the ex housing sizes went to check what mine actually was, as i forget since i bought it! There is nothing on the housing but HKS stamped in it, how do i find out if its the 0.68 or 0.87?

car made 280+rwkw with poncams at about 16psi, boost at peak wont hold any higher than that, and tuner tells me its pretty much pushing its max...

Sly33,

Grepin runs a HKS2835pros and has managed to squeeze a touch over 300rwkw out of his.

He has had a few issues with it dropping boost and I believe it still does but improving the breathing has allowed it to make more power.

I believe he has Tilbrooks work on his car.

By the sounds of it, Grepin would have used the 0.87 housing?

Also its great news that they have made an integral wastegate for the GT30 series turbos, especially with that dump pipe flange. Very interesting. I reckon I'll be testing the water with this "new" arrangement soon..

hey disco,

where did u find a Garrett GT3071R "wg" with a 52 trim comp wheel?

everywhere i've looked, i've only seen the 56 trim comp wheel being associated with the GT3071R.

also, wouldn't the 90 trim turbine wheel work better with the large 56/52 trim GT35 comp wheel as compared to the 84 trim?

Yep my bad , Garrett (typically) don't market a 52 compressor trim version of the GT3071R "WG" .

I'll list these CHRA's and trims so you can tell whats what from the ID tag no's .

700177-0004 Turbine 90 Trim Compressor 56 Trim

700177-0003 Turbine 84 Trim Compressor 56 Trim

700177-0002 Turbine 84 Trim Compressor 52 Trim . Seems to be HKS option only

700177-0001 Turbine 84 Trim Compressor 48 Trim . Don't take this CHRA number as definite . HKS option only .

I doubt the 90 trim turbine would be any more responsive than the 84 , more likely less so for the same gas flow . Going larger on turbine trim is a way of reducing flow restriction if its lacking . Keeping the same exducer or major turbine diameter generally means same shaft torque or drive power but less restriction in a larger wheel trim .

I feel the better off the shelf solution (assumes Garrett will market propper IW GT30 exhaust housings as well) would be the real GT3071R probably in the real IW Garrett GT30 T3 flanged housing in .63 or .82 AR ratio . Actually the Pro S GT3037 housing would fit as well and have possibly better volute/nozzle shape and wastegate valve and vent path/dump pipe .

This gets you the full sized 60mm 84 trim GT30 turbine in a propper GT30 exhaust housing driving the 71mm 56 trim (GT35 series) compressor . Personally I'd prefer Garrett make that GT30 turbine available in 78 trim and fit the 52 trim GT35 series compressor for best all round performance . It may struggle to reach 400Hp but the wide mid range and superior boost threshold would more than make up for it . If you want your engine to stay forever young you don't want to be forever at the redline .

Cheers A .

I have my 2835proS off my RB25 at the moment, and reading about the ex housing sizes went to check what mine actually was, as i forget since i bought it! There is nothing on the housing but HKS stamped in it, how do i find out if its the 0.68 or 0.87?

car made 280+rwkw with poncams at about 16psi, boost at peak wont hold any higher than that, and tuner tells me its pretty much pushing its max...

Sounds very much like the 0.68 (sorry everyone for accidentally calling it a 0.63 or 0.65 which I keep doing). It's only your results telling me that.

Sounds very much like the 0.68 (sorry everyone for accidentally calling it a 0.63 or 0.65 which I keep doing). It's only your results telling me that.

Grepin went to fairly extreme measures to get that 300rwkw, like practically having to jam closed the wastegate from what i remember!

my 280rwkw was made with a small front mount and 3inch exhaust, i have just fitted a HKS type-R FMIC off of my GTR to replace the little hybrid, plus a 3 1/2 inch exhaust. Once its off defect (very soon!) i will put the good bits back on and re-tune and see what happens.

if grepin has the 0.87 and totally maxed it at 300rwkw, then isnt it likely that mine is the same housing, seeing as i got close to 300 without really screwing it for max power?

How much difference in peak power is the housing gonna make? Mine also doesnt hit hard till 4000rpm, which housing would that fact indicate?? im thinking if i do have the 0.68 and it doesnt hit hard till 4grand, then on an RB20 it would be laggy as hell! Seeing how you guys are saying the .68 is good on an rb20, it would lead me to think its a 0.87... yet something in my mind remembers 0.68 fron when i ordered it... why cant it just have the damn number on the housing!!

Edited by SLY33

Did Grepin have cams? Did you get yours with the kit?

Sorry for the off topic dangerman but we are still with you.

yes apologies for the OT!

Grepin did have cams, although they werent poncams i dont think. I seem to remember something about him going a solid lifter setup a-la GTR style?!! maybe im wrong but he def had cams of some sort...

I didnt get mine with the kit.

Run on BP ultimate.

had a few issues with the EBC solenoid.

but results were impressive.

we finished up with knock peaking at 12

and the results are below.

standard head and cams.

standard plenum

standard coils.

notice full boost by 4200...

And best yet its an AUTO

post-24852-1158910438.jpg