SAU Community

Ticking Noise

SilverECR33

Yeah it is annoying....

Just wanna make sure that something isn't broken or about to break...

yea same here, im going to get the HKS exhaust looked at, it hasnt been touched since it was done in japan, before the i got the car. so not sure. well see if it solves the ticking. might pull it all off and change all the seals/gaskets.

yea same here, im going to get the HKS exhaust looked at, it hasnt been touched since it was done in japan, before the i got the car. so not sure. well see if it solves the ticking. might pull it all off and change all the seals/gaskets.

Let me know how you go as my exhaust is HKS as well and I don't think it has been off the car since import

Be nice if it is that simple

Cheers

Had a similar thing with my old RB20 - I thought it was a sticky lifter, but after I sold it, the buyer advised me that he had pulled it down and there was evidence of piston-slap.

Another possibility, since the noise seems more pronounced on the underside, is a dying / shot big-end bearing.

Had a similar thing with my old RB20 - I thought it was a sticky lifter, but after I sold it, the buyer advised me that he had pulled it down and there was evidence of piston-slap.

Another possibility, since the noise seems more pronounced on the underside, is a dying / shot big-end bearing.

its definently not either of those things. ive built a few engines, and ive heard these noises before even from engine ive owned had to rebuilt cuase of it, the 'Ticking noise" from the sky, is not a KNOCKING.

its a little Ticking. like a switch or something. or when u flick ur light switch.

Yeah id say lifters. My car does the exact same thing its like tick tick tick tick tick tick... in quick succession., i was a a bit worried when i first bought the car, but then figured out what it was. Nothing major.

Just a quick question, how would an exhuast leak make a ticking noise evident from the engine bay?

ummmm.... injectors!!!!

if your talking about a silent ticking sound that sounds like clock work exactly in beat.... its your injectors.... perfectly normal!!!

a loud ticking/taping sound that comes and goes (louder when engine is cold) thats your lifters.

my R31 (RB30ET) has loud lifters the whole time Iv had it (7 years now) - they tap litteraly when they feel like it, never changed them, never were a problem anyways!!

From what everyone is describing - its ya injectors!! :rolleyes:

and dont stress - they're supposed to do that!

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick..................

Yeah id say lifters. My car does the exact same thing its like tick tick tick tick tick tick... in quick succession., i was a a bit worried when i first bought the car, but then figured out what it was. Nothing major.

Just a quick question, how would an exhuast leak make a ticking noise evident from the engine bay?

it sounds more louder from under the car, but this could be noise rebound. still getting exhuast done, will let u guys know if it did anything :rolleyes:

and yea i thought could be injectors also. we will soon see.

• 4 years later...

Hey dale im having the exact same problem as u described, it comes from underneath the engine, its definitely not a lifter or a knock in the bottom end.

Did you end up finding what it was?? Will be much appreciated :thumbsup: BTW sorry about the dig up

• 3 months later...

Talk about digging up old threads.

Sorry for the late reply.. Welcome back to June i guess.

Now about the ticking noise.. Really depends on the noise itself, its definently hard to say our noises are the same.. but for me it is related to the injectors. But why infact is interesting, some people have gotten it from different reasons, but mainly to do with exhaust changes, bumps, or air leaks.

I have brand new Nismo Triple 5's, and mine made no noise till my exhuast scraped a speed hump, coinsidence? perhaps.. however nothing is actually a miss- or broken, so it not broken? dont fix it.. lol

cheers.

I also have the same noise just on startup from the tappets and my understanding is that oil drips into the sump overnight and when you start the car, the oil pump pulls oil back through the head, hence needing to drive like a granny for the first 5mins and not flog it til it's warm.

Or something like that :)

I'm Having the same problem, although ive managed to pinpoint it slightly, if looking at the car from the front the sound is coming from the right hand side of the engine, at the back, close to the firewall, kinda just above where i can see my o2 sensor plug, its a consistent tick tick tick tick tick, jsut like a clock thats a little fast, and it does also seem to go away when engine ahs done some work, but eventually comes back.

what i didnt think to try, was holding the rpm higher then 650-700 and check if the sound recedes, but i'll give it a go when i get home.

a friend of mine said it was defs lifters, and not to worry, but after reading this thread, it makes me want to double check my diagnosis, also, if it is the injectors, does anyone think that an injector bath would help/solve the problem, and or, has anyone actually got results from the injector bath?

oh and by the way, big end bearing noise and lower end tap is incredibly hard to mistake for a ticking, its more like rapping your knuckles on metal, or a clacking sound like some angry kid with a pair of chopsticks being a noisy bugger, ive seen cases of piston slap on smaller engines, and they make quite the distinctive sound, even if your born blind, deaf and daft, you cant miss it, maybe the daft one might, but you get my point.

im quite nooby when it comes to RB's, i know the basics like oil/filters etc, but ive never had the top off of my neo6, so i have no idea where even the plugs are!

good advice everyone btw, so helpful, and no flaming, wtf? is this a forum with real people on it? :blink: