SAU Community

My Restoration

Cheers Juan :D

Today i wasted about half the day trying to source the correct glue to install the windows. After 2 failed attempts i finally tracked it down (Sikaflex glazing adhesive), but by that time i had only about 1.5 hours left to work on it. So i only got the rear quarter windows fitted :down: Oh well i'll get the rest done next time i get a chance. I think i was going to run out of glue anyway so i'll most likely need another tube.

I found a second hand Greddy shift knob on the forum last night so that will be a nice addition :cool:

More through the week,

Deren

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend i fitted the gearbox and got the rest of the drive train fitted. This weekend i have filled all the fluids, bled the 4wd actuator system and bled the clutch up. So now im really very close to starting it. Pretty much only waiting on a few parts to arrive in order to fire it up. Ive purchased a Metal Matrix Metal Cat Convertor and that should arrive early this week coming. Im looking forward to getting it started and run-in on the dyno at work :D

More updates soon,

Deren

Nice... very nice. There is some hours in these pictures.

I'm to embark in a nut&bolt re-build myself next year.

Who did you use for plating? Also what prep was needed for the chroming on the plenum?

Again, well done

Justin

Sure Mark your welcome to come. It might not be for a few weeks yet unfortunately as ive got a bit of a wait on some parts :thumbsup: Im getting a full HD video camera in the next few weeks to film the highlights :cheers:

Thanks for the comments Justin. I have a good contact for plating who i would recommend. His name is Troy Sheppard, call him on 0432 455 620. Tell him you got his number from me :D

Deren

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys I've been a bit slack lately. Just busy. Well I've got the front and rear windows in and it looks great now (long story) I've had a mate tint the glass in 3m 20% tint. Great looking stuff.

The apexi front pipes I've ordered will arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday. The metal matrix metal cat will be ready to fit by late this week coming too. Starting to get myself organised to have the interior going back in. I've been planning all the meters. I got myself a 300 km/h speedo and so far a 60mm apexi el2 boost meter. I plan to add oil pres, oil temp, water temp and maybe fuel pressure to fill the final hole. I'll be using a greddy twin a-pillar mount and a carbon triple meter holder that sits above and to the left of the main instruments. I'd like to make better use of the factory instrument but unless I buy a nismo upgrade set they aren't very accurate. Who has nismo meters and thinks they are worth the money? I'd like them but it's either new meters or nismo upgrade..

The spoiler is back on now and I've got the rear bar on with the factory spacers that go between the bar and the quarter panel.

Still looking for some mint condition headlights at the moment.

I'm hoping to run it in on the dyno sometimes this week coming :action-smiley-069:

Over the last few days i got the rest of the windows back in successfully, fitted up the brand new Apexi front pipes and mostly fitted the cat back. Im waiting on one exhaust hanger. The cat is still getting done so its not on yet but hopefully will be soon. Unfortunately i wasnt ready for a run in this week but whats another week or two :(

Got some more work today. I put the carpet and rear parcel shelf trim back inside the car. Refitted the front bar 90% Got the door windows close to be adjusted correctly. I'll spend more time on them when its a bit cooler and im more in the mood ;)

post-14108-1270879182_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1270879371_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1270879395_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1270879419_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1270879441_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1270879471_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

BIG NEWS!

Engine fires into life! Very exciting and all is good.

To begin with even after filling the car with 20 litres of BP Ultimate i was still receiving no fuel pressure at the rail. This sent me searching for answers and i soon found that in the early days i had mixed up the return with the feed hose at the tank. Once corrected i had a good steady fuel pressure.

However, even then it would not start, this had me baffled. I later found out all the injectors had stuck closed. It was such a long time in between operation that they had gotten stuck closed from the old fuel (varnish) that was in them. A thorough ultrasonic clean and flow check resulted in good as new injectors. So for now they will do the job until i upgrade to some ID700's

Anyway once i got them back into the rail and assembled up i gave it a crank and she spluttered into that steady RB26 note we all know and love so dearly :blink: It was almost as if it had never been apart. Just as it was last time i had it running ;) For a forged engine its very quiet and im extremely happy with the results so far. I plan to run in/tune it through the week with Mark and from there get it ready for some street driving.

In the video i have uploaded of the first fire you will notice there is alot of power steering noise as i was yet to top up the reseviour.

First fire clip

More soon,

Deren

Yeah it was great to have it running once again!

I have more good news this time too, I have completed about 110km's of dyno run-in :blush: It was completely trouble free!

I can now change oil and see what its like with a better tune in it. Those stock recirculation blow off valves sound like a amusement park ride haha.

I have uploaded a clip of the first part on the dyno just now to YouTube. So feel free to watch it at:

First dyno run in

Tomorrow i'll likely spend some time getting a few other things sorted out. They all help to get it back on the road sooner :D

Im planning to join a few other cars from Godzilla Motorsport at the Gold Coast Autosalon in September. It will be good to see you all there!

More soon,

Deren

Good on you mate!!!!!!!!!! my hats off to you for starting something and giving it a go alot of people would of given up and sold it off but u have done it. I woud say that i would do all servicing and mechanical through u if interested cheers Ken

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I have to say after driving it tonight for a little bit...It was absolutely scarey fast. No joke, not just a little fast. Insanely fast! That was with about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle bringing boost in but not full getting into it. Its in rear wheel drive at the moment as i suspected the wheel alignment to be so far out that i'd be fighting the wheel. I couldnt have been more wrong, its driving close to perfect! I will still give it an alignment but its not bad at all. Anyway when im driving it and it comes onto boost the rear wheels have no chance at keeping up and it just turns them hard in pretty much any gear! Im sorry i didnt get any clips yet as i forgot to take the video camera with me to the workshop today. It'll be no problem getting out again to take some clips. There are a few little things that im yet to sort out but its pretty much back on the road.

Deren

God, this is what i want to do as well, a brand spanking new 32gtr.

I love seeing those spot weld for some reason, they give me a hard on :happy: (no im only kidding).

GREAT WORK, GREAT EFFORD, i salute you.

1st replied back in 2006, now 2010 and i'm still here, still thinking you're a Fking legend.