SAU Community

Afm

philta

yeh i've found this out too (the hard way)

i was changing my filters over and i forgot to plug the afm back on started the car n it was ideling like shit i thot oh my god wat did i do??? i didnt think it wud be the afm not for 1sec coz i thot the car wudnt start but yeh i looked around and found that the afm wasnt plugged in i got so relieved wen it started idelling good.. phheww

Edited by assyrian4evaa

funny enough, I had the AFM unplugged before due to my paranoia after it was stolen once, I thought unplugging it would cause the car to idle like shit and deter opportunistic thieves. Well, one day, after starti9ng the car, I realised I hadn't actually plugged it in and it was idling quite well unlike the previous time where it wouldn't even idle....so that was a bit of mystry

HOW the FU*K would the car know how much fuel/air to mix if i cant calculate the air flow without the AFM

The car would look at its other inputs... e.g. Coolant Temp, RPM and put in a pre-calculated amount of fuel. The Fuel map in the ECU would tell it the values - and since your off boost, it should be able to get away with it a bit.

Cars do have to have a bit of tolerence if they lose a sensor, they may not run right - but they should be able to let you slowly drive home.

Cheers

Sumo

yeah i kinda relise it would have to run on the o2 sensor

No, The O2 sensor only "trims" the mixture by a small percentage - It does not have full control over the mixtures.

Cheers

Sumo

on cold start at closed loop sections of the fuel map the car will run with out an AFM untill 1350 rpm on an RB20 as soon as cold start cuts out it will not run at all.