SAU Community

R34 Tv And Gps In Jap?

cme33

SHORT ANSWER = NO

LONG ANSWER =

I should start by saying... the inputs are NTSC for TV and dont pick up aussie tv except channel 7.. and then its scrambled cos of the NTSC versus PAL. Second Xanavi do not manufacture any maps at all for australia so you will be lost in japan somewhere.

after pulling everything out of mine.. i realised there is an INPUT in the boot.

It is RCA... but the assumption is it has to be NTSC signal.

So an option you have is....

put a carputer in the boot and RCA output from that into the boot input.

then switch the system to VTR1 or VTR2... cant remember which.. the input on the front of the navigation system is vtr1 i think..

anyways whichever input gives you picture is the one you want.

that way you can use the factory screen with a touchpad or something and use it for everything a carputer can offer like GPS/divx/mp3 etc..

Only drawback is you will be using the factory stereo for audio as the navigation etc all pipes in through the factory decks AUX input.

You could use some line level converters etc as found on the CAA forums to add amplifiers and still have a decent sounding setup.

OR

You can remove everything and try to fit another screen into the factory console area, but you will lose the motorised flip up.

but this way you wont need NTSC signals just use normal PAL. and thenyou can replace your headunit etc etc..

For all the costs.. i would look at car computers as a means of using the double din space under the navigation system for a nice touchscreen.

Also if you choose to remove the screen and want a double din space you need the climate control from an r34 with the triple gauges and the double din surround etc..

well i hope this is detailed enough...

enjoy..

Thanks for all the help guys!! just one last thing.... do you know how much aprox will all this cost? and is it worth it? I prob woudln't care so much about the nav/gps but i wouldn't mind having the tv/video functions to work. i don't want to buy a car with the special features that don't work! If i do buy the car (i live in brisbane) where should i take it for the work to be done???

are u buying a turbo or non turbo? If u gettin a GTT then don't bother with the flip up TV its a wank and waste of space in OZ. Would be cheaper to spend $$ on an australian DVD/TV combo. Find a model with the triple gauges..

I'm looking for a 4 door turbo (gtt). Don't care if it's manual or auto. What do the 3 gauges read? Are they your cars on the pics? Sweet rides! If you don't mind me asking... how much did you pay for your 4 door? and what have you done to it? i notice the body kit, did that come with the car?

the 3 gauges read boost, voltmeter and oil temp. Thanks yeah the 4dr is mine, the kit is a factory option tht came with the car. Haven't done much power wise. Apexi catback, wheels, eyelids and bonnet lip :yucky: Got it for around 30k a year and half ago...u should be able to find a similar model for around 25k nowadays...mine is a 99 model tiptronic auto.

I'm looking for a 4 door turbo (gtt). Don't care if it's manual or auto. What do the 3 gauges read? Are they your cars on the pics? Sweet rides! If you don't mind me asking... how much did you pay for your 4 door? and what have you done to it? i notice the body kit, did that come with the car?

My car will be up for sale soon. 2001 R34GTX-T. The rarer of the models. PM if you are interested!!

Thanks for all the help guys!! just one last thing.... do you know how much aprox will all this cost? and is it worth it? I prob woudln't care so much about the nav/gps but i wouldn't mind having the tv/video functions to work. i don't want to buy a car with the special features that don't work! If i do buy the car (i live in brisbane) where should i take it for the work to be done???

if you want to persist with teh screen idea - see me..

x5??? you mean BMW x5????

I can tell you anything you need to know on bmw's and specially on x5's as i work on bmw's for a living! I just wish i had the money to afford one! that'll be a nice upgrade if you do go down that track!

x5??? you mean BMW x5????

I can tell you anything you need to know on bmw's and specially on x5's as i work on bmw's for a living! I just wish i had the money to afford one! that'll be a nice upgrade if you do go down that track!

Sorry to hijack. Yeah, BMW X5. Any known problems with the Turbo Diesel 2004 - 05 models??

Try to stay away from the first diesel x5's.... Nothing wrong with them but lots of turbo lag and engine's kinda noisy for a diesel. If you don't mind those things then go for it! They have lots of torque... the latest (05> New engine) has more power, less lag! I would say they would almost keep up with the 4.4 V8. The x5 family are actually the ones with the least problems from the bmw range. Oh yeah.... If you ever go and test one and notice slow crank when first started it's not the batt... it's the starter motor. Make sure it's been replace only if it has that problem... only 50% of the ones i've worked on have had that problem and yes it should be covered by warranty if it's within 2-3year old!

Try to stay away from the first diesel x5's.... Nothing wrong with them but lots of turbo lag and engine's kinda noisy for a diesel. If you don't mind those things then go for it! They have lots of torque... the latest (05> New engine) has more power, less lag! I would say they would almost keep up with the 4.4 V8. The x5 family are actually the ones with the least problems from the bmw range. Oh yeah.... If you ever go and test one and notice slow crank when first started it's not the batt... it's the starter motor. Make sure it's been replace only if it has that problem... only 50% of the ones i've worked on have had that problem and yes it should be covered by warranty if it's within 2-3year old!

Thanks for the headsup. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 months later...

ah ok..

i opened up the inside of my one and make it work without the deck using different switch i took of the screen aswell so its empty casing and put my gps inside..

i think you can get screen bout the same size and put into the empty casing..