SAU Community

D2 Coil Overs Any Good?

ok..

ive driven a few cars. with the 3 variants of tein comonly available.

superstreet. abit firmer then stock,good solid feel.(on a evo 9 its actually less bumpy than stock :))

flex.. quite firmer than stock. abit choppy

mono flex. about the same firmnes as flex but without the choppyness. very good feel.

to be honest i was very impressed with the mono-flex. id of thought they would be bouncy as. no bumping around at all. just good solid feeling suspension.

alot people dont like d2 hehe...

I've yet to see a problem (and i taken my car to 3+ drift praticse, 1x Mc Day, 2x Drag Days)

im not sure how many km i have done (most likly over 20,000km with them) but no problem.

Althou when i 1st bought them i had a knocking problem from the rear 2. i took them back and they got replaced under warranty asap! since then i havn't had a problem maybe there was a set of bad ones?

ISC, D2, G4, Racing Logic all look the same but are different colours. The cheap shock is masked by huge spring rates. Also have a look at www.isc-coilovers.com They claim to have lots of R&D and testing, but they came up with some pretty odd solutions for spring rates for skylines, namely the same for 32, 33, 34, 2wd and 4wd, despite the massive difference in handling characteristics and weight distribution.

They are also only bound adjustable and let you choose your own spring rates. I asked the guy a while ago if they revalved the shocks to suit the custom spring rate and they dont, so you will be lucky to get a shock that can control the spring properly.

Personally, I would stay away from all the cheapies.

Edited by salad

They are also only bound adjustable

Apart from the fact that the bloody things fall apart (my rears have died twice in just over 12 months, I have seen customers with them where the shaft has bent over 45 degrees from street driving, etc) the lack of rebound adjustment is a bloody killer

I just dont understand how a shock is supposed to control a car with only bump adjustment? they dont work well at all, decent matched struts and springs are miles ahead of D2s

Michael, what sort of quality control allows NEW rear coilovers (both of them) to be sent out in a defective state? How happy would you be if your brake pads came out to you in a defective state? dodgey

There's more to brakes than you think mate, not something to skimp on in my opinion. Having said that, I haven't used them, and don't know anyone who has, so can't comment.

As for suspension, I use Tein Super Streets, and the car is 90% track use, and I'm very happy with them. Comfortable on the street, stiff enough for the track, a good compromise.

ISC, D2, G4, Racing Logic all look the same but are different colours. The cheap shock is masked by huge spring rates. Also have a look at www.isc-coilovers.com They claim to have lots of R&D and testing, but they came up with some pretty odd solutions for spring rates for skylines, namely the same for 32, 33, 34, 2wd and 4wd, despite the massive difference in handling characteristics and weight distribution.

They are also only bound adjustable and let you choose your own spring rates. I asked the guy a while ago if they revalved the shocks to suit the custom spring rate and they dont, so you will be lucky to get a shock that can control the spring properly.

Personally, I would stay away from all the cheapies.

Agreed totally!!

I just dont understand how a shock is supposed to control a car with only bump adjustment?

I think the point of having just bound adjustment on the cheap coilovers is the wanky "I adjust it softer for daily driving and then make it full hard for the track to make it handle siiiiiiick"

Even if they did have rebound adjustment, there is no way that it could have a damping range large enough to cover all the spring rates they offer (2-22kg/mm). Shocks really do need to be valved to suit the spring. Damping adjustment should be to FINE tune your suspension.

I also noted that they are all base height adjustable and that they offer their coilovers for a MASSIVE range of cars. So I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped the bottom and the strut top and had it suit a different car. If this is the case, it means they have a handful of shocks and they all supposedly suit around 50 different cars...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by salad

I think the point of having just bound adjustment on the cheap coilovers is the wanky "I adjust it softer for daily driving and then make it full hard for the track to make it handle siiiiiiick"

Even if they did have rebound adjustment, there is no way that it could have a damping range large enough to cover all the spring rates they offer (2-22kg/mm). Shocks really do need to be valved to suit the spring. Damping adjustment should be to FINE tune your suspension.

I also noted that they are all base height adjustable and that they offer their coilovers for a MASSIVE range of cars. So I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped the bottom and the strut top and had it suit a different car. If this is the case, it means they have a handful of shocks and they all supposedly suit around 50 different cars...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Agreed again. The base adjustment is basically the easiest way to make the whole package "universal fitment". everything else maybe wrong for your car, or your application. Valving, Spring rates, even stroke lengths and shock body lengths could all be wrong.

I drove an A31 cefiro at work that had k style coil overs in it as well as 17's .

there is about a 15mm bump going into our workshop and my teeth nearly fell out when i hit it going very slowly it also bounced all over the road to the point of being dangerous. Why any one would chose to drive a car like that is a mystery to me.

GOOOOD, I'm glad someone has some common sense not to buy cheap crap....

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

HA HA you have had this argument before huh? Learn to do what i do. When people tell you that you are wrong and know nothing and brands such as D2 are better, just say "ok" and move on. Eventually they will learn by their own bad mistake.

GOOOOD, I'm glad someone has some common sense not to buy cheap crap....

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

werd. :rofl: its funny you know. i learnt the hard way. i was pretty naieve the guys like the shock is made and designed in japan etc etc the spring/body is taiwan to make it afordable bla bla bla.

i mean they cant evan get th surface finnish corect on the damper shaft its self. i had 2 lots of rears go in 6 months. by the shaft being to grippy and pulling the seal thru the top of the damper pissing oil everywhere lol.

i pulled them out and put in some heaps old blistiens and havent looked back since. its no longer a pogo stick. despite having the SAME springrates.

recently as per my earlier post. the curent tein monoflex is really good. just such a good feel.

and for the record. a colegue of mine happerns to have a taiwan manufacturing magazine. and there all in it:

K-SPORT,D2,G4,ISC,HSD, AND THE LIST GOES ON some other brands too that alot of people think are made in japan i wont mension them but..its alll cominmg out of the same factory.all in a nice 10 page glossy advert. lol

so if one goes ahead and orders 'r32' specced g4 or HSD coils, are the shock valvings EXACTLY the same as if you were to order 's13' specific?

What if you specify your spring rates when ordering...? i assume the answer is NO, but do they use different shocks for your application?

i recall there was also some drama regarding issues with kei-office coils, does anyone know if this was due to cheap/incorrect shocks being supplied?

...and for the record. a colegue of mine happerns to have a taiwan manufacturing magazine. and there all in it:

K-SPORT,D2,G4,ISC,HSD, AND THE LIST GOES ON some other brands too that alot of people think are made in japan i wont mension them but...

Why not mention them?

At the end of the day, quality control, R&D, manufacturing standards and material specification is important - China and Taiwan CAN make quality, but it costs more. From what I understand, very few coilovers are manufactured in Japan any more - its interesting though that Bilstein have some products produced in japan - according to my sources.

And I am pretty sure HSD are manufactured in ROK, not Taiwan/China