SAU Community

R32 Gts-4 Engine In To An R32 Gtr?

Ok ok don't kill me here and trust me when I say there's a method to my madness :D.

I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm if an RB20 GTS-4 engine will bolt to an R32 GTR tranmission and the rest of the car too? I know the GTS4 is AWD just like the GTR so I'm guessing it would but I am not 100% positive. Now I'm talking a full swap including the GTS-4 engine harness and ecu as well, basically can it be done and is a bolt in thing?

I can imagine you all would think I'm nuts but I can get a GTS-4 engine very cheap and I would be selling the RB26 to fund another RB26 idea I've thought of but it'll take some coin. So in order to still drive the GTR (as I can't really be without a car) I need to know if this idea will work. If it can't be done, as in a bolt on thing, then I will be forced to the other route which would be much longer to save up the money needed. Having a good chunk of money from selling a complete, perfectly running RB26 will go a long way to expiditing this project I have in mind.

Honestly and truly I'm not degrading the GTR here or going to leave the RB20 engine in for very long. Think of it as a short term thing for the long term ending goal.

Your help will be VERY appreciated and if this can happen with no prob's at all, I'll get in to more details on what I want to do. :(

Thanks guys and take care.

Cheers.

I've put a RB25DET (Stagea) into a GTS4. A number of people have fitted RB26s into GTS4s. No reason it won't go the other way (RB20 -> GT-R).

But, realistically, for the cost involved in sourcing, purchasing and fitting all the GTS4 stuff, you could probably buy a cheap GM or Ford to keep you mobile while the GT-R is undergoing it's transformation.

Honestly, I completely understand what you guys are trying to say and truth be told, I'll be getting the motor, wire harness and ecu for only a couple hundred bucks from a buddy, I have the use of another friends shop with a hoist and all the tools to do the swap thatI don't have to pay to use and couple of buddies of mine want to help me just because they enjoy this kind of stuff.

So really, I just want to know if this is a simple swap, no modifications needed to make it fit to the GTR tranny or paying a lot of money in order to make it fit. Thats why I'm asking if there's anything else besides what I will have to make this work?

Edited by sidewazegtst

The IC plumbing back to the throttle body will be a minor hindrance. Other than that, it should be a straight "rip out RB26, shove in RB20". To replace the loom, remove the LH guard (fender).

Thought - will you have clearance for the RB20 plenum adjacent to the GT-R clutch master / booster?

So the cost of the engine, coolant, oils etc cooler pipings arent going to blow the cost through the roof. Then when its time to rip it out you will be stuck with an RB20 that noone will want to buy.

Whereas if you buy a smart clapper, then at least when the GTR is back on the road you will be able to sell the clapper for no real loss. Your time is better spent working the extra hours or a second job to get the money together then it is ripping your GTR apart and throwing an RB20 in it.

Hell, depending on where you work, borrow a family members push bike and ride/public transport.

^^^

Well I'm 30 so insurance isn't all that much for me. ;)

Roy - Well I do have use of another vehicle however it's the wife's and she needs it for her errands or taking the kids out, so I can't keep driving it. I live about an hour ish or so (driving) from work and I swore of public transportation a long time ago. :(

It's gona take a whole season to save up the remaining money needed for this project so I still want to drive my car. I know this all seems unusual and sure the idea of just buying a beater to drive is good, it's just not the way I want to go thats all. Plus it's fun swapping an engine, at least my buddies and I enjoy doing it, having a shop to use whenever for free helps out for sure and after I'm done with the GTS-4 motor, I'll sell it. There is actually a market for the RB20 motor's here in Canada and sure I won't get a lot but I'm getting it cheap to begin with so even if I make enough to cover the fluids, I still came out ahead. I got a season of driving out of it and covered my expense for the fluids, can't go wrong there.

blind_elk - You don't think there should be any added parts I'll need or modifications to do? As for the ic plumbing, yeah I've factored that in already. With the clutch master and brake booster, I think the GTS and GTR have them in the same spot and since the engine bays are the exact same size, there should'nt be any clearence issues. Hell, the RB20 motor is smaller too :P

...and after I'm done with the GTS-4 motor, I'll sell it. There is actually a market for the RB20 motor's here in Canada ...
But GTS4 engines? I'm pretty certain you can't swap GTS4 and GTSt engines over, because the sump pans are different - they aren't interchangeable.

Any additional parts - what about an exhaust?

I don't believe there is any difference in the basic physical size of the 2 engines (head and block). But the GTS4 engine uses an "up-and-over" style inlet manifold, the GT-R uses that "low-along-the-side" style. The GTS4 also doesn't run the clutch booster - that's why I'm suggesting the possibility of interference.

But, hey, your money, your time, your disappointment when you realize how under-powered the RB20DET really is in comparison with even a stock RB26DETT.

Ooh, don't forget to swap the GT-R front diff into the RB20.

^^

Oh believe me I know the power difference between the two, I have a GTS-t Type M now and in driving my friends bone stock GTR VS my GTS with an R34 NEO turbo @ 10psi with other goodies, his is still faster and more responsive. As for selling, I'd sell it to my friends shop who imports Skyline's here to Canada. He'll take it as a spare motor for his GTS-4 customer's. Again, I'm getting it for practically nothing and I don't mind selling it for practically nothing, hahaha all evens out.

The exhaust is the same between the two if your talking cat back. With the downpipe, well I will use the stock RB20 stuff. I'll look in to that clearence issue though and thanks for pointing it all out to me and for the other clerification too. I appreciate man :(.

Cheers :P

Edited by sidewazegtst

HAHA Bruce what are you up to now??.. GTR GTS-4.. where are you getting all this from..??

LOL, don't worry man I'll fill ya in soon. :wave:

This isn't even a for sure thing yet, but it is something I have mind. Just gathering some intell from the people who have a TON of experience and who's advice/information I respect.

Edited by sidewazegtst