SAU Community

Importing Skyline From The Us?

luke20t

hey

i am concidering to buy a 96 r33 gtr LM from a seller in the US.

the car was originally imported from japan to australia, then the seller got a job in the US and immediatly brought the car with him. he is selling the car because he is unable to licence it over there.

he says the car wasnt in australia for long so it didnt get licenced here.

he says the car comes with australian compliance?

i just want to know what steps would i need to take if i were to import this car?

do i firstly need to apply for import approval?

anything else i should be aware of?

thanks

luke

this is an australian based website..

most of us will be unable to help you due to the unfamiliarity with US importation/compliance laws...

I saw a video opt dvd the other day that had on the front cover "the only SKYLINE importer in the US".. meaning that theres only 1 or a bare few that can actually get a skyline into the states..

ohh and make sure that when your buying a skyline that it isnt an integra or (honda acura) riced up and bodykitted to look like a skyline LOL they seem to be common in the states

Dosen't sound quite right, there are alot of scams. You'd want to see proof of compliance - previous engineers reports, registration details, prior import approval, all shipping paperwork etc to ensure its genuine.

The only way you could do it ecomically is if the car was dirt cheap - and I mean DIRT cheap, but in that case buyer beware.

thanks for the info!

the price of the car is $12,500 AUS

and he says he will cover the cost of shipping :huh:

im also waiting for him to send me some updated pics of the car.

he wants me to send $3000 to one of my relatives for 'proof' i have money, he wants me to send him the reciept.

also in the emails i have sent him, i have asked him some questions which he hasnt replied to.

i think ill give him a week or two to send me copies of: proof of compliance - previous engineers reports, registration details, prior import approval, all shipping paperwork etc to ensure its genuine. (as morgs said)

and them updated pics im waitin for.

if he doesnt send it i think ill just forget about it and buy a car in perth.

if i were the genuine seller, i wouldnt have bother to sell it back to australia for $12500 which have to be taken off further through shipping. i would instead strip the car and sell them for parts. i am pretty sure there are some gtr in US and parts in US dont come easily. selling part by part may gain back more than 12500 aust for sure.

Caveat Emptor!

haha i just did my business law exam on monday - caveat emptor = buyer beware!!

yeah, i would be keeping my money in australia. think of it like this: money potentially lost > money potentially saved

i've seen this before. the car is usually priced well below it's value, and they offer to pay shipping. why would they? then they ask for a deposit of thousands, and that's the last you'll hear from them.

my friend was looking at a vw golf sport model super optioned immacualte etc etc. the car was in the UK.

after a few emails and further questioning, the replies just stopped.

Not a chance this is real, you can't import skylines to the US apart from anything else. There was 1 company importing them but they were shut down due to some shennanigans.

If it was real....same rules to import to Australia no matter where it comes from. So once it was here you would need to pay for compliance under SEVS and only certain year model r32s are eligible.

The only difference with the US is we have a free trade agreement so there is no import duty on the FOB price of the car (15% from Japan). You would still pay GST and all other customs and quarantine fees.

hes taking ya for a ride the cheapest i found was 5-7 k for shipping and hes payin for it?

r33 gtr go for 50-60 k there so 12-13 is soundin shady....

maybe a couple years ago.. get a r33 gtr ALOT cheaper then that now

Edited by fEkuaR