SAU Community

Launching The Skyline

As the topic states, I got a question about when the car is launched. At times, I have launched it from about 4k revs - this has given the best grip, and the actual take off is very smooth and controllable. However, I was in a friends r33 today, and the launch was done at 6k. The strange thing is, there was no wheelspin, but the rear of the car did momentarily dip downwards as the car started to move forward.

Is this normal (the dipping of the rear)? I guess those who have taken their car to the drags etc - is this what normally happens or the car is not supposed to dip at all?

yes, all the weight transfers to the rear wheels, and compresses the suspension, and because all the weight is on the rear wheels, you get much better traction. many drag cars run soft suspension in the rear, and very firm in the front to aid this. sounds like your mates car has better tyres than yours also...

many drag cars run soft suspension in the rear, and very firm in the front to aid this.

Other way round. Making the front take longer to return from full extension in the shock aids weight transfer - ala 90/10's. Stiffer rear suspension in IRS cars like Skylines stops the tyre from toeing in and decreasing the contact patch at launch.

i launch at 5,500 - 6,500 rpm and dont have much of a traction problem but takes a bit to keep straight off the line, slicks will top it off on a good launch :)

on the street a 5,000 rpm launch with soft throttle is pretty good.

Edited by LTHLRB

good suspension? and i dump the clutch.. i ride it out at 6,000rpm still spins a little bit, but does launch well.

And as for traction. a 6,000rpm launch on street tyres got me a 1.9 60 footer. :P

Kinda odd that any of you can launch anywhere near 5000+rpm in a gts-t and not get wheelspin....

My car isn't overly powerful at 205rwkw, and there is no way it could launch at 5000rpm without a shit load of wheelspin on street tyres....

Even when it was stock, 5000rpm, and dumping the clutch, or even letting it out slower, would still spin the wheels with ease.

Maybe in a GTR....but really don't see it happening in a GTS-T

same...

evan with new tyres i get the same thing.

ive tried heaps of diff ways of doing it to, like using the handbrake, riding her etc etc..

I have the whiteline/bilstein suspension kit, its not exactly setup for drag racing, but id imagine it should be better than stock stuff.

wouldnt realy of thought its possible doing it at like 5-6000rpm...

Kinda odd that any of you can launch anywhere near 5000+rpm in a gts-t and not get wheelspin....

My car isn't overly powerful at 205rwkw, and there is no way it could launch at 5000rpm without a shit load of wheelspin on street tyres....

Even when it was stock, 5000rpm, and dumping the clutch, or even letting it out slower, would still spin the wheels with ease.

Maybe in a GTR....but really don't see it happening in a GTS-T

Once I get my turbo back exhaust system in place I want to take my car for a run down at wsid and see what it can do... But I have a question being that it is an auto would it be better to go from 0 or launch at like 2,000rpm... on stock everything apart from the exhaust once it gets done. Oh and yeah its a 4 door R34 GT-T if that makes any difference.

Maybe someone fryed the clutch?

I think it was a gradual throttle application - I would like to try it myself, but I dont know if my clutch will take it - and as it is, i think the clutch might be on its way out.......

you both side stepping the clutch, or letting it out slower?

The way i do it at 4k, i let it out slow - I think thats what my friend was doing too.....thats probably not good for the clutch right?

i dont have much experience with this, but even 4k sounds a bit high to me.

if i go at 3k, hold the clutch just at the sweet spot (on the verge of engagement), for only a couple of secs (it starts to smell of burning), i still get some wheel spin.

but my suspension is too hard, and so every bump causes my tyres to lose contact with the road.

but 5k? sounds like a burnout to me. lol

Edited by Munkyb0y