SAU Community

Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

A couple days ago I took my skyline to an exhaust place so that they could replace my factory exhaust with a 3" system all the way through.

The job was done and everything seemed fine, until today when I was driving and my car stalled. I kept re-starting it, but it stalled about 10 times before I managed to get home. Upon inspection under the bonnet, I found that the wiring on the Oxygen (O2) Sensor was completely melted.

Obviously what had happened was that when these guys disconnected the sensor to fit the new exhaust, they were not careful when re-connecting and left it dangling on the hot pipe. While driving, the pipe got hot and melted the O2 sensor.

Now my question is.... what should I do??? I'm thinking of going back to the exhaust place and telling them to fix it, but what if they say no? What if they try and charge me more to fix it? Can I report them to anyone if they refuse? Help.... >_<

Get a bit angry I'd say. Similar thing happened to me on a previous car. If it is a respectable place, they will want to keep you happy. I got all my money back for the labour costs in my case. Don't just stand back, cause they'll walk all over you. You paid for the job to be done properly.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just to let you know what happened.... I took the car back to the exhaust place today and they were pretty good about it cos they realised they stuffed up. So they kept the car for a few hours and organised for an auto-electrician to fix the wiring. However as I started driving the car it was still stalling and performing as though nothing were fixed at all. After some frustration, I realised that it may have been a blown fuse. We checked the fuse box and found that the fuse for the O2 sensor was blown. Once this was replaced, car was back to normal :wave:

Hi Guys,

A couple days ago I took my skyline to an exhaust place so that they could replace my factory exhaust with a 3" system all the way through.

The job was done and everything seemed fine, until today when I was driving and my car stalled. I kept re-starting it, but it stalled about 10 times before I managed to get home. Upon inspection under the bonnet, I found that the wiring on the Oxygen (O2) Sensor was completely melted.

Obviously what had happened was that when these guys disconnected the sensor to fit the new exhaust, they were not careful when re-connecting and left it dangling on the hot pipe. While driving, the pipe got hot and melted the O2 sensor.

Now my question is.... what should I do??? I'm thinking of going back to the exhaust place and telling them to fix it, but what if they say no? What if they try and charge me more to fix it? Can I report them to anyone if they refuse? Help.... :D

Reminds me of the time when an exhaust plc fitted some stainless extractors on my S13...in doing so, there was an a/c hose sitting close to one of the extractors that wasn't positioned properly after the install and as a result melted the a/c hose coz it was touching the extractors! ended up losing my a/c...exhaust plc didn't really own up to it but in the end gave me a high flow cat for free...

Glad u sorted ur problem out! :D

• 3 years later...
Thanks for the advice guys.

Just to let you know what happened.... I took the car back to the exhaust place today and they were pretty good about it cos they realised they stuffed up. So they kept the car for a few hours and organised for an auto-electrician to fix the wiring. However as I started driving the car it was still stalling and performing as though nothing were fixed at all. After some frustration, I realised that it may have been a blown fuse. We checked the fuse box and found that the fuse for the O2 sensor was blown. Once this was replaced, car was back to normal :)

Reminds me of the time when an exhaust plc fitted some stainless extractors on my S13...in doing so, there was an a/c hose sitting close to one of the extractors that wasn't positioned properly after the install and as a result melted the a/c hose coz it was touching the extractors! ended up losing my a/c...exhaust plc didn't really own up to it but in the end gave me a high flow cat for free...

Glad u sorted ur problem out! :D

This shops deserved to be named as I think they care about customers .We all human been and we do mistakes but as we can see they admitted mistake and satisfied customers in good way.

So guy's place their name here.

Glad its all sorted the could of been really arses and said not our fault blah blah blah

Its always nice to hear when garages make good of somthing they did wrong with little hassle...

This shops deserved to be named as I think they care about customers .We all human been and we do mistakes but as we can see they admitted mistake and satisfied customers in good way.

So guy's place their name here.

Not sure if BLACK34 is around much these days (to answer your request), as his thread was started Dec '06 hehe