SAU Community

Removing R32 GTR Steering Wheel

hi all, i have been trying to remove my old gtr steering wheel to replace it with the new one. i have got the horn button off. and and also the locking nut. from previous experiences with other cars, pull it towards you, and it should slide straight off right? well, this one won't budge at all! do i have to apply brute force? whats wrong?

craz0 what is a steering wheel remover? how do you use it? how much does it cost? where can i get one? same goes for the harmonic balancer remover? sounds difficult. is removing the steering wheel a bigger task that what i originally thought?

You should be able to get one from supercheap, autobahn et etc.

It's got like 3 or 4 big claw fingers that hook around the back of the wheel and a big bolt that goes through the guts of it that you screw down on and it sits on the bolt of the steering wheel and as you screw down on it the claws bring the wheel towards you untill it comes off.

Hope that helps and I havn't confused you.

They are not hard to get off, they just get stuck some time. But if you are going to pull it off with your hands make sure you leave the nut on the end of the bolt a good couple of terns or else it could come hard and fast and smack you in the head.

wow! thanks craz0! you sound like a man who has had a lot of experience removing steering wheels. i hope the last paragraph is not something that has happened to you! oh... by the way, how much does one of these things cost? i dont remove steering wheels that often nor do i intend on doing it for a living, so i dont want to invest big! oh, where bouts in cq are you from?

what I do is apply brute force, which smacked me on the head hard and I was probably knocked out for a min

but just slowly use your palm to hammer it out from the back, and it'll come off eventually, well the 2nd time that I've done it was much easier, probably the first time was a virgin and was too tight