SAU Community

Failed Turbo Question

iz32

to my understanding when a bearing pack in a turbo fails you get shaft movement from the ball bearings breaking down which can cause the turbine/s to hit the housing wall giving you a whirring sound.

can the bearing pack also "pack up" or basically clog up and also cause this sound without the turbine/s coming into contact with anything...?

had 2 seperate stories from the turbo rebuilder and it just isnt adding up at the moment so i thought id ask for any experiences that other people have had.

thanks

Iz.

eg:

Blocked oil feed to turbo,

Turbo with no oil on bearings = to much heat/friction = The same thing that happens to every bearing that requires oil or a form of lubericant = noisy and broken

If the bearing is completly fruguled and bits are gone = bad shaft play and wheel says hello to housing.

Sounds like you need a new turbo :P

eg:

Blocked oil feed to turbo,

Turbo with no oil on bearings = to much heat/friction = The same thing that happens to every bearing that requires oil or a form of lubericant = noisy and broken

If the bearing is completly fruguled and bits are gone = bad shaft play and wheel says hello to housing.

Sounds like you need a new turbo :yes:

problem is i have had a new bearing pack twice in 4 weeks.... and the sound is starting to appear again after 1 week.

definately not an oil feed problem, its a new line and i tested the bejesus out of it before connecting the oil drain up to the block a firing.

anyways im not here to winge, just to find out if u can get shaft play on a new bearing pack after 1 week....

time for bearing pack number 3 i guess.

just had a thought..

could there be a difference in the oil feed line fitting as it was a hks turbo but they fitted a garrett bearing pack, i know garrett make hks but just wondering if there may be a difference in the volume of feed to the bearings.. ie diameter of the nipple.

this is really causing me grief now and everyone is closing down for the holidays...

Logic would tell me,

what is your oil pressure like? oil pump working properly?

also, I agree about the "difference in the volume of feed to the bearings.. ie diameter of the nipple."

the lines that you get from HKS for the turbo are different to stock ones, I suppose they are slightly larger, have a look, at some, and take it from there.

well pressure wise it "seems" ok... if going by the gauge on the cluster is a good reference. sits on 4 most of the time. oil was flowing out of the drain line after 2x 10 second goes at cranking the engine over. can pressure drop during driving? im talking around the block driving no track work high rpm stuff.

id like to look more into how the oil pump works and creates pressure up into the feed line if anyone can point me the right way to some pics or documents/manuals.

thanks.

As it appears that your turbo needs to be rebuilt again, ask the reconditioner if it has signs of oil starvation, the bearings will probably be discoloured. I would remove your oil pump, as it is the most likely cause, and they are problematic in rb's, also chech the pressure releif valve(in the pump. The only other thing you could try is removing the oil filter housing as well, and cleaning out the passage between the pump and oil filter and the filter and the turbo. While the sump is off(to remove the pump, check the oil pickup for clogging or cracks/looseness.

You'll easily tell if its oil, there will be "burn" scored all around the cartridge etc.

Usually a blue-ish colour.

If you see that, or the turbo shop says thats what it is, then it cant be anything else than low pressure of blocked lines

You'll easily tell if its oil, there will be "burn" scored all around the cartridge etc.

Usually a blue-ish colour.

If you see that, or the turbo shop says thats what it is, then it cant be anything else than low pressure of blocked lines

the original bearings had this blue colour!

what made me sceptical was first rebuild they gave me all the old parts back..... second time around they accidently thru them out.

in the end bearing noise is bearing noise and can only be caused by oil starvation from what i gather, the whole turbine theory and 3 fauly bearing packs theory is out the window now.. :)

i just want to make sure all bases are covered this time around. will give the oil pump a crack over the weekend and see what i find..

is it a good idea to pull oil cooler, cooler lines and filter relocation lines off and go thru the lot?